BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: WINE
portdane

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 10:57 AM
WINE

If you get stopped with a couple cases of wine in your vehicle, can you just pay the duty on it? Afterall, 2 BUCK CHUCK is better than most Mexican wines and the duty shouldn't be that much OR are you only allowed two bottles each?
If you bring in corn beaf, will they take it away for you or will they ask for payment? Thank you-
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

lol.gif posted on 1-17-2005 at 11:19 AM
are you nutz!!!!!

"2 BUCK CHUCK is better than most Mexican wines "
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

get a clue!!

you need to spend some time in the valle de guadalupe......

2 buck up chuck is $3 in AZ......i actually have friends who have me fly it in to save $12 a case....they should just get a box of Peter Veller's finest....

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 04:35 PM

He does have a clue...

Many Sonoma County wineries count 2001 as the best red wine year in 30 years, even surpassing 1997 by a long way.
2 Buck Chuck is currently selling 2001 Cab and is a screaming deal.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 04:45 PM

I dont know the rules about wine but corned beef is a definite no-no or was 2 months ago when my mother in law tried to bring me some. Turkey is a no no too unless it is precooked or smoked...go figure.
I do know that I agree that the Mexican wines are just fine without having to worry about customs. You will probably go right by Valle de Guadalupe..stop and smell the grapes. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 05:33 PM

We bring in wine all the time. It is not that Mexican wines are not fine; they are, but much more expensive for a similar quality. That has been our experience. If anybody out there has found a great bottle of $2-5 Baja wine, I'd like to know about it.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 05:49 PM

2 Buck Chuck IS box wine(Franzia) bottled up in a pretty package--its the best business "wool over the eyes" move in a while......:biggrin:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe If anybody out there has found a great bottle of $2-5 Baja wine, I'd like to know about it.

There ain't no great $2-5 bottle of wine, anywhere. Chuck is a drinkable wine that's a GREAT price.

I agree with El Jefe. Baja wines are typically 30%+ overpriced. There IS some really good vino down here but not worth $50+ a bottle.

The limits are not 2 but 3 liters per person(adult). Unless you have an import license or stellar BS that's all your gonna be able to bring and if you don't stop and declare you are subject to confiscation AND fines.

COOKED corned beef is cool as long as it's in small quantities for personal consumption. If you don't want to hassle with that then you could stop by my deli and I will sell you some.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 06:25 PM
2 buck charles is batched as the bottler

bulk purchases excess at spot market rates, he blends all types, and sometimes it's drinkable, occaisionally even surprisingly good - but it is not consistent, QC varies - so you never know what you're getting 'till you open up a bottle.

well, for $2 a swing - guess that works for some. I have bought a BUNCH of Cetto at The wine Bank downtown SD for $5.45 that was excellent, mainly reds.

We also get plenty at the Pauncho's little yellow market in Mulege for $6. Good deal.

Sorry - but i have too many times opened a Charles that tasted funky - not real bad - just, well....something wasn't right - so no more $2 or $3 shaw for me.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
portdane

lol.gif posted on 1-17-2005 at 06:38 PM
wine

Hate to blow all your mines but here in sacramento we buy great wines at the dollar store . we buy one and ifs good we buy a few cases. Napa Ridge is one and Covie Run is another.
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 06:55 PM

Sa ul in Mulege carries a VERY good red from Chile. Chardonnay and Merlot.
$ 5,40 bottle
Don't release the name here LOL > we want all !!!!
Come and find out!
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 07:06 PM

What wine you enjoy and at what price is your freedom of choice (viva la choice!)...

I agree that Mexican wines are good but overpriced according to quality. That accounts for the glut of very good and fairly priced Chilean, Italian and French wines in the local supermercados (including Costco in TJ) and Rosarito.

It you want to be strictly legal and no worry, stop off at one of these on your way south and stock up.

Otherwise (not that I am reccommending doing anything slightly illegal, I respect the laws of the country), but a friend of mine has been bringing wine south of the border for many years. This friend does not go to the declaration area. If given a red light for secondary, the friend has observed that the officers always ask to open the trunk. The friend always smiles and says, "Of course."

The friend's wine is always on the floor behind the two front seats, covered by various other items, i.e., tampon packages, kotex packages, diapers, toilet paper, kitty litter bags, dog food bags, cat food bags, etc. The inspectors usually only ask to look in the trunk and shine a light on the back seat. (This is always better at night.)

Now, once again, I am not reccommending that you do anything that is not strictly legal and if you are uncomfortable, DON'T DO IT!

But, my friend has been bringing down wine in this manner for years.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 09:10 PM

Many gringos think that the inspectors are idiots.

Wrong.;D

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Many gringos think that the inspectors are idiots.

Wrong.;D

The border inspector KNOWS that Jose is smuggling something but can never catch him.

Each day Jose pedals his bicycle through the border and is stopped and searched. Each time the inspector comes up empty handed.

This goes on for weeks.

One night they happen to meet at a bar on Revolution where the inspector is celebrating his impending retirement.

"Jose, this is the last time we will see each other. PLEASE tell me, what are you smuggling?"

Bicycles.:biggrin:

synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 1-18-2005 at 09:55 AM

El Jefe, Dave, and others are right about not finding a $5 bottle of MEX wine - Guadalupe Valley red wines seem to be $9 and up. I don't look for whites, so no experience.
If you haven't tried the prospective purchase before and are stocking up for the drive further South into Baja Sur then it can be a pricey gamble.

PS - I was previously only talking about 2 buck chuck Cabernet S.

[Edited on 1-18-2005 by synch]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2005 at 12:16 PM

The LA Cetto winery has 3 or 4 wines for $2.95. All adequate table wines.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.