Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Metal baton
Hooker33
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 03:40 PM
Metal baton

Is the expandable metal baton legal to carry in a vehicle in Baja?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 03:44 PM

I would think that a hydrant wrench would work just as well
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 03:46 PM

or a framing hammer!

Hooker33
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 03:49 PM

No doubt, but the hydrant wrench can be so unwieldy and there is something about the sound of the baton expanding that discourages confrontation.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hooker33  

It would be hard to swing it inside your car. So wouldn't a more useful question be: is it legal to carry outside your car?

I am bemused that nomads are so frequently discussing weapons to carry in Baja. What do you gringos find so scary in Baja?

Here at home in gringolandia no one I know discusses what weapons to carry here at home. People I know do discuss how gringos are stupidly killing one another at a frequency much higher than any other similar country, proving that their weapons are not protecting themselves, but doing a fine job of killing and maiming the innocent..

Anywho, if you need a club in Baja, why not just carry a cane or fishing pole?

[Edited on 10-4-2015 by mtgoat666]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 03:58 PM

I actually carry an aluminum baseball bat (and baseball) in my truck. I let the dog chew on the baseball before I put it in the truck. I have had military guys get a laugh over it and I usually have my two Labradors with me.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 04:01 PM

No doubt, but the hydrant wrench can be so unwieldy and there is something about the sound of the baton expanding that discourages confrontation.

Not sure I would even recognize the sound of a baton expanding.
But your comment makes me wonder if a hard-of-hearing criminal would stop to read your close captioning.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

It would be hard to swing it inside your car. So wouldn't a more useful question be: is it legal to carry outside your car?

I am bemused that nomads are so frequently discussing weapons to carry in Baja. What do you gringos find so scary in Baja?

Here at home in gringolandia no one I know discusses what weapons to carry here at home. People I know do discuss how gringos are stupidly killing one another at a frequency much higher than any other similar country, proving that their weapons are not protecting themselves, but doing a fine job of killing and maiming the innocent..

That is because the all carry a 9mm and have an AK47 at home. Based on consolidated information from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, there are about 300 millions guns in the United States.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 05:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

That is because the all carry a 9mm and have an AK47 at home. Based on consolidated information from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, there are about 300 millions guns in the United States.

A fact that befuddles the rest of the industrialized nations.

In fact, I was just solicited to sign a petition to the White House asking the president to declare the NRA as a domestic terrorist organization.

Face it. They are the lobbying arm for weapons manufacturers. Nothing more.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 05:15 PM

Ain't America grand???

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

A fact that befuddles the rest of the industrialized nations.

In fact, I was just solicited to sign a petition to the White House asking the president to declare the NRA as a domestic terrorist organization.

Face it. They are the lobbying arm for weapons manufacturers. Nothing more.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 05:17 PM

Actually, a 9mm is for wussies. I carry a 1911-A1. And I buy American, AR-15, no commie AK-47 crap
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 05:20 PM

I always carry behind the driver's side seat a one-iron, a machete, and a Louisville Slugger that my brother and I had since I was about 5.... it's really dry, lightweight and weathered now, quick and effective for cucarachas. Never had an issue with the machete either, always in plain sight (handle, it's in a scabbard), been looked at a dozen times. It is the original I carried in beautiful Southeast Asia Vacation Land some 44 years ago... been asked maybe twice, I tell 'em "Palmas a mi casa" and "no problema" in return. Lucky I guess.

I truly doubt an extendable baton would even be recognizable. Or much effective for that matter... unless you get to conduct the Orcestra Mexicano Filjarmonico . Bolelo, no doubt. Or, El Hombre De La Mancha.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 05:23 PM

Not sure I would even recognize the sound of a baton expanding.
But your comment makes me wonder if a hard-of-hearing criminal would stop to read your close captioning.

Yes, goofball, exactly the same way that the shooters read the signs declaring a "No Gun Zone".

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 05:27 PM

There was a simple question asked and of course it turned political.
I doubt that the expandable baton would be recognized as a weapon if seen. But doubt it would be legal. At least for a foreigner.
If you others that feel it is necessary to discuss the why fore of having a personal protection start another thread.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
healthdetective
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 06:08 PM
Collapsable baton

Can't say if it is legal but I had one in my vehicle at at military checkpoint. They played with it a bit, showed it around to each other. They asked me what it was for and I answered "auto proteccion" (self protection) They handed it back and on my way I went. YMMV

“The average man does not want to be free. He simply wants to be safe.” — Mencken
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 06:12 PM
weapon

A light glass bottle with gas and rocks...Flare Gun,,legal and mean !!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 09:25 PM

Wouldn't all you fraidy cats feel more secure if you stayed home in USA and barricaded yourself in your homes with your guns and ammo?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 05:06 AM

lencho wrote,
"I carried one in a belt holster for years in La Paz for protection from dogs, and never even considered worrying about the authorities; if they want to hassle me about that, they can first start doing their job by keeping agressive dogs off the streets.

I've had to use it a couple of times and it saved me some grief."

Perfect reason to have one and it must be okay to carry in that case. :light:

[Edited on 10-5-2015 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 05:44 AM

Why not ask at the Mexican tourist office or ask a Mexican cop.
Hooker33
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 07:00 AM

Many thanks to those who posted a cogent response to my simple question. During hurricane Odile I had to face off a pair of looters who were armed with knives and trying to get into my home. I had my flare gun which caused them to flee. I am not a "fraidy cat" I survived the tet offensive in 68.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.