Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gonzaga Bay trip report
3464james
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 09:16 AM
Gonzaga Bay trip report

Just returned from Gonzaga. Stayed at El Sacificio. Owner's brother is manager and was extremely polite and helpful. Launched and recovered our boat for us, as well as other fishermen. Fishing for commercial boats is banned for two years. All of the pangeros were gone. Two large Navy cruisers at San Felipe enforcing the ban. Rooms at El Sacrificio were a little high, $70.0 per night, air con, warm showers and flush toilets in rooms. $20.0 to camp with awning and bbq's, flush toilets and hot shower. People were extremely friendly and helpful. Spearfishing was not so great, saw very few fish, speared a grouper and a jack. Other fishermen spent days out fishing and caught next to nothing. All of us left early because of the lack of fish. Saw our first "Fish Cops," heavily armed Marine soldiers driving pick ups with the environmental and fish organization logo on their new trucks. Full battle rattle, M16's with M203 under the barrel. Full load out on clips and ammo plus a full vest of M79 grenades in holders. Hostile fishermen?? Food at Alfonsina's was good as always, no guests however. Food at Rancho Grande was good too. Drove to Papa Fernandez, saw several houses for sale, once again very friendly folks. Will attempt some contacts on the owners.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 10:40 AM

Thanks for the report. Wow, I didn't think El Sacificio was that high for a room. But there is little competition in the area.
bbbait
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 10:56 AM

We stayed at Alfonsina's Friday night and got the last two single rooms, $70 each. I noticed the dbl bed price was $80 per night. It has been that rate for quite some time. Rooms are very clean and nice, the generator for the AC came on at 8pm... Very friendly personnel and great food.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 11:21 AM

Thanks to you guys for the updates. In 2011, El Sacrificio's 'sportsman cabins' were $50...

Any new photos?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 01:13 PM

Glad to see Mexico taking serious steps to protect the fisheries
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 02:27 PM

Hey James,
Thanks for the report..... looks like the water temps have been pretty high and plankton, how was the weather and water clarity and did they do the permits, boat and gear inspection on you.

Thanks in advance, Lionel :cool:
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 09:16 PM

No fish? Hoo boy. Planned to stop off there for a couple of days of inshore/onshore chuckin Krocs out of my inflatable, right around the 1st week of Nov.. Hard to imagine there'd be no spotties/triggers/ small halibut for a dinner or two. Info,anyone?
3464james
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 08:59 AM

I did observe small spotted bass and triggers, no halibut, but they were not what I was in the mood to clean. Water temp was very high, didn't have a thermometer but I was free diving with only a t-shirt and I am a water temp woose. Visibility was poor for Gonzaga, 6-10 ' with lots of sediment in the water. Weather was very warm. One day of clouds and high winds prevented us from going out, other fishermen returned after going out a short distance because of the waves blowing over their bows. Cleared up the second day. Another couple of guys were fishing croc's out of a kayak, caught a small bass. I had all of the prescribed paper work, however the only check was at the border when I entered Mexico. Officials were very polite. Military gave my partners truck serious consideration and numerous questions concerning his amateur band radio antenaes on his truck, that was the only heart burn. Every check point had us pull back cover on boat and they checked the interior. Checked our spear guns but made no mention. My partner stated that he should of obtained a Mexican amateur radio license. That would have saved some time and questioning. The captain in charge of the Gonzaga military check point was seriously concerned about the radios in the truck, I derailed his attention by discussing military issues. He stated he has a 30 man group at Gonzaga. I was a little surprised at the size. I talked to several former commercial fishermen in the area, they were going out after dark, in pangas, using hookas, for scallops. Looked a little dicey to me, but they have to eat. One guy told me that he had to move out of his house in San Felipe, brought his wife and kids down and was living in his truck on the beach, melancholy.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 04:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 3464james  
Just returned from Gonzaga. Stayed at El Sacificio. Owner's brother is manager and was extremely polite and helpful. Launched and recovered our boat for us, as well as other fishermen. Fishing for commercial boats is banned for two years. All of the pangeros were gone. Two large Navy cruisers at San Felipe enforcing the ban. Rooms at El Sacrificio were a little high, $70.0 per night, air con, warm showers and flush toilets in rooms. $20.0 to camp with awning and bbq's, flush toilets and hot shower. People were extremely friendly and helpful. Spearfishing was not so great, saw very few fish, speared a grouper and a jack. Other fishermen spent days out fishing and caught next to nothing. All of us left early because of the lack of fish. Saw our first "Fish Cops," heavily armed Marine soldiers driving pick ups with the environmental and fish organization logo on their new trucks. Full battle rattle, M16's with M203 under the barrel. Full load out on clips and ammo plus a full vest of M79 grenades in holders. Hostile fishermen?? Food at Alfonsina's was good as always, no guests however. Food at Rancho Grande was good too. Drove to Papa Fernandez, saw several houses for sale, once again very friendly folks. Will attempt some contacts on the owners.

We watch the Navy ship and speeder from our patio, but we were told that commercial fishing was moved 50 miles south, which I would assume is north of Bahia Gonz

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 11:29 PM

That poor area has been pounded for a few years now with gill nets since the new road opened...glad to hear they are cracking down...just hope it lasts.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 10-11-2015 at 04:47 PM

Thanks for the report.

bacquito
tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 10-16-2015 at 07:49 AM
dog friendly

Would anyone know if the hotels at Gonzaga allow dogs ?
Thanks in advance , Tortuga

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2015 at 10:04 AM

Alfonsina's is not, although some Nomads have reported they sneaked their animals in.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.