Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: new guy...
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2015 at 03:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
well hola and welcome to the Nomad sandbox! If you are down in our neck of the desert in mid December, I would camp anyway at Ojo de Liebre...ya might see something from shore. Usually Mario's tours are the first company to take people out then...they are on the highway before you get into Guerrero Negro at Mario's Palapa just past the enormous flag. Check in when you get down and I can give you a whale report..ya never know.
And if you are this close, come and hang with us in Bahia Asuncion...of Advrider fame! bring your own Cheetohs! Look forward to meeting you.

Am I correct that Mario's does not go to the nature center, but rather out through the salt works?
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 07:42 AM

Getting a few more things finished up on the trailer. Trying to think of issues that might come up with camping in the sand? Made some sand anchors to take the place of stakes. (plywood that I can sink in the sand, to take place of stakes and tie off to). Reading all I can on surf fishing, I dont know anything! This place is a wealth of info!!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 07:57 AM

to begin surf fishing keep in mind you only need to get the line out to waist deep or so. the fish are looking for sand crabs in ankle deep water (use these for bait) or get adventurous and dig some clams. just don't get caught with 100 clams and nobody cares, despite what others will say.

or buy some squid at a market and cast right into the boiler rocks near the points when the surf is flat. that's where the big calicos live. if your worried about snags buy some heavy washers or nuts at home depot and tie a granny knot so that the weight breaks off and you get your hook and 100' of line back.

if you have some Krocodile lures throw those into the surf and retrieve as well. you'll finger it out!

[Edited on 10-23-2015 by woody with a view]

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

Am I correct that Mario's does not go to the nature center, but rather out through the salt works?

Marios Tours which is located at the big palapa just past the huge flag at the state line north of Guerrero Negro...takes pangas out to the mouth of the lagoon...they leave from Chaparrito port where the salt barges also load and leave from. They do not operate in the inner lagoon where the Interpretive Center and restaurant is which is the Ejido Benito Juarez concession where I guide out of.

Early in the season which opens Dec.15th, more whales can be seen at the mouth than inside so if you are planning a whale trip before the new year, I recommend going out with Marios.

[Edited on 10-23-2015 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 09:39 AM

Good info, Thanks. Is there any place to get bait in Gonzaga bay? I never noticed if the market sells it or not? Should I pick some up in SF before heading down? How is the drive out to Punta final? Anything good to see, worth the drive? I will be in a 4wd.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 10:03 AM

Not sure why, but Graham Mackintosh did not go to Punta Final to begin his kayak adventure to L.A. Bay. Mike Essary (who drove Graham to Gonzaga yesterday) posted on Facebook that there was some reason they could not do a Punta Final start? They went to Rancho Grande instead.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 12:58 PM

Hmmm, Rancho grande is at the south end of Gonzaga bay, correct? I was looking at stuff in the area for day trips while we are camping,hiking,fishing.... Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 02:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Hmmm, Rancho grande is at the south end of Gonzaga bay, correct? I was looking at stuff in the area for day trips while we are camping,hiking,fishing.... Thanks

Depends on what you consider "Gonzaga Bay". To most it is the entire two-bay complex that includes the original Bahía San Luis Gonzaga [which is the well sheltered natural harbor between Punta Willard (Papa Fernandez') and Alfonsina's (Isla San Luis Gonzaga)... that some call "Willard Bay"] and the larger, less sheltered Ensenada de San Francisquito, from Alfonsina's to Punta Final.

Rancho Grande is pretty much right in the middle, about 1 mile south of Alfonsina's Motel/Restaurant. Satellite map:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 03:00 PM

if you can freeze bait for later then yes, get it NOB or SF or wherever. you won't find a fish market or supermarket except for legit towns-not bumps in the road.....

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 03:34 PM

Thanks for the map. Out of the areas on the map what is the best camp spot in your opinion? I will have my ARB fridge, so I will pick some up NOB.... Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 03:44 PM

I think Camp Beluga is a nice option... it has flush toilets and showers a short walk from the palapas... the beach has some rocks, but is still mostly sand based.

Rancho Grande has better beach (no or less rocks), closer to the market, but may be dusty and more noise if a busy weekend?

Papa Fernandez' is mostly private homes, but over the hill of Punta Willard is their camping beach and many Nomads like it. A rope is opened by staff to let campers pass, so it is somewhat secure. The beach there is outside the bay on the gulf facing beach.

El Sacrificio has a restaurant now, we have been told... it is a cabin rental place, but allows camping.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2015 at 01:23 PM

I have another camping question. I was thinking about a couple of nights in BOLA when we leave Gonzaga bay, is daggetts a good choice for camping in BOLA? Do they have bathrooms and showers? Cant wait the spend Christmas in Baja!!!!!!
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2015 at 06:43 PM

Daggetts and Archelon next door are good shoices for camping with bathrooms and showers.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-13-2015 at 07:04 PM

The coyotes around those camps did not seem aggressive, but they are bold and sneaky! I had one raiding my camp one evening with a loud party going on fifty yards away.

I could have slammed it with my car door, but yelling at him seemed like a better idea!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.