Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sonora Nomad
Wilbur4s
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 10:16 PM
Sonora Nomad

Anyone know if there is a Sonora Nomad or a Northern Mexico forum like this Baja Nomad forum?

What I am looking for in this post is some input with respect to the danger of riding my motorcycle from Topolobampo north and crossing at Sonoyta. I already know to stay to the main roads and to ride during daylight hours. The US State department advises against non-essential travel in Sonora and can be extremely dangerous. In particular, the region west of Nogales, east of Sonoyta, and from Caborca north, are known centers of illegal activity, and non-essential travel between these cities should be avoided.
I have ridden my motorcycle down to La Paz and back and had no issue, so I am looking for some "on the ground" intel from folks that have been in these areas recently. In advance, thanks.

Ciao, Will Pizz
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 07:06 AM

If Hook sees this, he'll fill you in. He lives over in the Topo area.

Welcome to BajaNomad by the way. Almost forgot my manners.

[Edited on 10-10-2015 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 07:14 AM

I thought San Carlos area?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 09:58 AM

Thousands of cars,trucks and buses travel Highway 2 every day, although there are some long and lonely stretches along that route which I drove last March I have never had a problem except the little town of ALTAR could be considered a speed trap, slow down.......

I hear the whales song
sargentodiaz
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 12:19 PM

MexicoConnect @ http://www.mexconnect.com/forums/ covers all areas to include Sonora, Sinaloa, Nayarit, etc

Father Serra\'s Legacy @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com a History of California and the Franciscan missions.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 03:05 PM

Dude I think you should blow off any travel plans on the mainland. It seems to me you are waiting for an excuse not to go. Don`t be frightened little bird. :P
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 03:27 PM

Will,
From the OP opening post you have stated pretty much all the facts there are to know. Highway 2 is pretty much a 'Mexican' 4-lane freeway; the closer you get to the border the more narco trafficking goes down, and the more you have to be on your toes if you go on side-junkets. I do know this; i'd love to be able to cross at Naco (east of Nogales) and do the main coast, but that stretch has been stated as "travel at your own risk" now due to roving bands of armed bad guys. The stretch through Caborca and to Sonoyta I have done, but been a while; i'd probably still do it today, but with a LOT of common sense, and preferably not alone. Don't stop for hitch-hikers especially with backpacks, or 'innocent' looking people trying to wave you down for less-than-auspicious reasons. It's Mexico, man.... that's why we go, to open the ol' "3rd -Eye" and have adventure. It's just the adventure part has increased exponentially lately, including Hermosillo, Guaymas, Caborca, especially Nogales, the whole corridor from Sonoyta to Mexicali..... take the risk, or don't.

You answered your own questions completely; don't travel at night, have company, use your head. I too would like to hear from some recent experiences in those areas, especially the troop-presence and checkpoints (if any) off the main Hwy 2. Northern Sonora used to be such a pleasant place...

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 05:13 PM

there are a couple of sites in Sonora (san carlos) whats up san carlos and viva san carlos

Want what you have
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 05:46 PM

i've never been there, but did see this ....

http://tucson.com/news/local/border/fear-grips-sonoyta-shoot...
rocmoc
Nomad

Mood: Live today like it maybe your LAST!

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 06:02 PM

This link will work for you, http://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/...

Have driven this many times myself, will drive it again in Nov and have friends that rode this route this summer on their bikes. No problem with the common sense you have already stated. Lock stuff up at all times even going into a Pemex.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
Wilbur4s
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2015 at 12:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Dude I think you should blow off any travel plans on the mainland. It seems to me you are waiting for an excuse not to go. Don`t be frightened little bird. :P

Dude, check yourself. If I wanted an excuse not to go, the US State department travel advisory would have been it. I am on this forum to find the excuse TO GO. Why does this forum exist if it isn't to allow people to share knowledge and experience?

Ciao, Will Pizz

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.