Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Valle de Guadalupe Report
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2015 at 06:12 PM
Valle de Guadalupe Report

Went to the wine valley last weekend with a couple of friends and had a really great time.

1. Spent an hour in the museum; highly recomend it. A great way to start a day of wine imbibing.

2. Lechuza Winery: met BajaGuy and his wife for a 'private' tasting where we tasted a white and a number of reds while sitting at a plank table with cheeze, olives, bread and olive oil to break the tastings.

The Chardonay was fermented via malolactic fermentation but aged on stainless steel, not oak. We are not fans of heavy oak Chards so this went over big. The reds were all well done, balanced, with the Cab being the best of the bunch. The prices are high, however, running to $40/bottle. The Cab was in this price range but the others a bit too high in our opinion. This is a small volume winery, everything done by family members. You must make reservations via their website, they do not have a typical tasting room with standard hours. This needs to be on your list.

3. Lunch at Finca Altozana and was just the best. If you have not gone yet, go. Really, stop going to the same spots you always go to because you are comfortable with them and go here. You'll thank me. Javier Planscencia runs this Campestre and it's awesome.

4. Went to Vinedos Malagon and checked into two huge rooms, really, they were suites with very good beds, linens, etc. Wife-worthy for sure. $175/night. Tasted their wine and the sauvignon blanc and the Rosé were good and very reasonable @ $11 each. Yes, $11. We bought a bunch. The reds ran a bit thin, pass on those unless something grabs you. Their breakfast, which is included in the price, is really,really good.

5. Dined at Deckman's for the first time and was floored by the whole operation. Our table was right in front of the pit where Drew was doing his thing; we chatted with him about fishing and he showed us around the kitchen later as things slowed down. Wonderful evening, wines from Mogor, of course, but all good. I will say that two of our party are a meat 'n' potatoes sort and they had a more dificult time with the menu. Yellowtail collars were unbelievable; melted in your mouth. Have no idea how he does that on a wood fired grill. Beef tounge with shrimp was outstanding and the paella was very good. The four of us ate and drank for in the $200 range, but you could go more if you really go for it. If you are a T-bone and Texas Toast kinda guy, this is not your spot. For example, I got a fresh tomato salad with sweet breads that no one else would try because sweetbreads are some sort of non-meat but really, it was marvelous.

All in all, a great day.

[Edited on 10-12-2015 by Santiago]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-11-2015 at 06:27 PM
Amigos

Great having you here, we had a wonderful time!!!

Come back when you can stay a few days.
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2015 at 07:40 PM

"5. Dined at Deckman's for the first time and was floored by the whole operation."

Same here, a few month ago, saw the sign at the entrance, and had a delicious dinner "at Deckman's".

I had chosen the pork chop, with an out-of-this-world mango sauce.

Best Schwein I ever had :-)

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 11:15 AM

Many thanks for the recommendations. Sweetbreads are organ meats:
http://www.cookthink.com/reference/1829/What_are_sweetbreads

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 02:37 PM

Chefs in the area are doing exactly what Architects along the "Gold Coast"....border to Ensenada.....did in the sixties and seventies....getting bizarre with their creations only to develop a personal style.
An example at hand:.....that plate of whatever up there looks as though it's already been eaten, at least once.
I've seen fotos of other presentations that are equally ridiculous, but people rave all over them.
I'm of a thought that, for food to be presentable, it must first look like food........ unrecycled.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Chefs in the area are doing exactly what Architects along the "Gold Coast"....border to Ensenada.....did in the sixties and seventies....getting bizarre with their creations only to develop a personal style.
An example at hand:.....that plate of whatever up there looks as though it's already been eaten, at least once.
I've seen fotos of other presentations that are equally ridiculous, but people rave all over them.
I'm of a thought that, for food to be presentable, it must first look like food........ unrecycled.

Right on Dennis, At first look I thought is was a big old kelp crab..

I hear the whales song
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 05:44 PM

Funny Dennis,

I wonder, where your expertise <looks as though it's already been eaten, at least once> comes from?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 05:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajagrouper
Right on Dennis, At first look I thought is was a big old kelp crab..[/rquote  

Thanks, Rick. Good to see you.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Went to the wine valley last weekend with a couple of friends and had a really great time.

1. Spent an hour in the museum; highly recomend it. A great way to start a day of wine imbibing.

2. Lechuza Winery: met BajaGuy and his wife for a 'private' tasting where we tasted a white and a number of reds while sitting at a plank table with cheeze, olives, bread and olive oil to break the tastings.

The Chardonay was fermented via malolactic fermentation but aged on stainless steel, not oak. We are not fans of heavy oak Chards so this went over big. The reds were all well done, balanced, with the Cab being the best of the bunch. The prices are high, however, running to $40/bottle. The Cab was in this price range but the others a bit too high in our opinion. This is a small volume winery, everything done by family members. You must make reservations via their website, they do not have a typical tasting room with standard hours. This needs to be on your list.

3. Lunch at Finca Altozana and was just the best. If you have not gone yet, go. Really, stop going to the same spots you always go to because you are comfortable with them and go here. You'll thank me. Javier Planscencia runs this Campestre and it's awesome.

4. Went to Vinedos Malagon and checked into two huge rooms, really, they were suites with very good beds, linens, etc. Wife-worthy for sure. $175/night. Tasted their wine and the sauvignon blanc and the Rosé were good and very reasonable @ $11 each. Yes, $11. We bought a bunch. The reds ran a bit thin, pass on those unless something grabs you. Their breakfast, which is included in the price, is really,really good.

5. Dined at Deckman's for the first time and was floored by the whole operation. Our table was right in front of the pit where Drew was doing his thing; we chatted with him about fishing and he showed us around the kitchen later as things slowed down. Wonderful evening, wines from Mogor, of course, but all good. I will say that two of our party are a meat 'n' potatoes sort and they had a more dificult time with the menu. Yellowtail collars were unbelievable; melted in your mouth. Have no idea how he does that on a wood fired grill. Beef tounge with shrimp was outstanding and the paella was very good. The four of us ate and drank for in the $200 range, but you could go more if you really go for it. If you are a T-bone and Texas Toast kinda guy, this is not your spot. For example, I got a fresh tomato salad with sweet breads that no one else would try because sweetbreads are some sort of non-meat but really, it was marvelous.

All in all, a great day.

[Edited on 10-12-2015 by Santiago]

Hard to enjoy good food if your dinner mates are stuck in a food rut. Best leave those folks off the dinner invite list, and keep company with funner people.

Deckmans is a good eat, eh?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 06:51 PM

Gawwwwdammmmm...did do this to the page?
Sorry bout that.

UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 07:59 PM

Dennis,
This is what I call food Art! Drip some whatever sauce around the plate (mango sauce in this instance) throw the bone into the mix and get an outrageous price for a pork chop! Guess it is all about what you are willing to pay for a pork chop!:biggrin:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.