Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  8
Author: Subject: Punta Final to LA Bay - Again
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2015 at 02:09 PM
Punta Final to LA Bay - Again

Did this journey on foot in 1983. Part of my Into a Desert Place story.

The cliffs and the rocks and the wildness of it all nearly ate me up... and didn't do a lot for my attire.

Now 32 years later, hoping to re-do it on my blue Cobra Tandem sit-on-top kayak. If the weather cooperates looking forward to departing Bahia Gonzaga/Punta Final this Friday and paddling and drifting very slowly down the rugged and remote coast to LA Bay. Wanted to do this last year but had to return to England to help out a sick brother.

Praying it will be very boring and uninteresting... and I can shoot hundreds of pictures as opposed to the 2-3 rolls of film I had back in 83.

Allowing a month. Plenty of time to smell the flowers. Life's too short to hurry. Expect many wind delays and hikes inland. Maybe a little El Nino rain. But who knows what El Nino could dish out... might blow me back to Gonzaga.

I'll have my Spot to tell of my whereabouts.

Returning to the now abandoned(?) fishcamp of Calamajue will bring back some special memories of a wonderful week sharing the lives of these shark fishermen and their families.

Any boaters crossing paths... would never say no to a couple of gallons of water.

I should be on the water on days like these...

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2015 at 02:27 PM

Graham-
That 1983 trip sounds like a lot of fun. The fish camp was abandoned when I stopped by 2 years ago (Calamajue). Did you walk the coastline all the way?
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 10-18-2015 at 02:38 PM

Hope to see you in BOLA when you arrive....
Have fun, safe travels and lots of pics.
Lionel :cool:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-18-2015 at 02:59 PM

Wonderful to hear you get back to the place that beckons us all here on Nomad!

Your walk along the coast, right at water's edge, even when Ed Wills (The "King" of Gonzaga Bay, page 65) warned you it couldn't be done, is a testament to your perseverance!

We look forward to your safe return.

Check your u2u regarding Spot postings.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2015 at 04:15 PM

Sounds like a great adventure. I have thought of doing that trip myself via kayak. My biggest concern would be the wind. I have kayak ed in the area of Bahia Gonzaga and Punta Finale on many ocaisionally and as you probably know about he wind can be surprising in its direction and intensity. The input that I got from veterans of that coastline was that the wind delays and a decent spot to put a shore with the kayak may not mesh very well. Obviously if you have walked the shoreline you may have a different view of this problem. Stay safe and look forward to a trip report. Take plenty of water.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2015 at 07:59 PM

Thanks David... it will be great knowing you're receiving my Spot signals and posting online.

My kayak is a slow old cow compared to a fast sea kayak... but it's very stable and can carry hundreds of pounds both on top and below decks.

Yes, the wind is the biggest concern... and without a calm day or better a moderate tail wind I'm going nowhere.

If I'm watchful and careful, I'd have to be really unlucky to get caught under cliffs with no place to land.

Expect I'm going to lose at least 10 lbs doing all the paddling and hiking... I always do once I leave the computer and the car behind.

And will I be ready for tacos and beer when I get to LA Bay. If I ever get there.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-19-2015 at 07:23 AM

sounds like a great adventure. Have fun.
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2015 at 08:58 PM

Hey Graham...Don't forget to take "Live at Leeds" and some headphones if you need to stay awake out there.
Desert Rat
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2015 at 10:26 PM

Hip-hip hooray, another adventure on the way!
Stay alert and don't get hurt.
Have fun in the sun and "gitter done."
Paddle your boat and hike places remote.
Come back safe and well, with a great story to tell.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2015 at 09:47 AM

I'll be back... even if I have to walk out of there.

Not sure which way the wind will be blowing or how fierce. Might just have to make camp and enjoy the simple life with lots of exploring inland and into the canyons.

Hope my adventures aren't as scary and death defying as your last Baja outing Desert Rat. I still marvel that you're still with us after what you endured and overcame. Truly inspirational Ronnie. You are Airborne tough.

My hearing has never been quite the same since I was at that Who - Live at Leeds concert back in 1970.

But I'm sure the tension being on the water will keep me alert... and always prefer to be tuned into what's happening around me, even the joys of silence.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2015 at 09:57 AM

Graham-- wishing you a fair breeze for your next journey. Best of luck, I`m betting on you and against the troubles you may find!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2015 at 01:30 PM

Graham, wishing you a great trip..
Met you for the first time at a baseball Spring Training trip to an Angels game in Palm Springs many years ago.
You were blown away that someone recognized you (this was shortly after your book)!
We also enjoyed you after that when you spoke at the San Diego Rod & Reel Club
Cheers!
Alan
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-20-2015 at 01:40 PM

Very cool Graham! We wish you safe travels and an amazing adventure. Looking forward to a new story and some pictures.

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2015 at 07:10 AM

Thanks Geoff... whatever happens there's bound to be a few stories and pictures from this.

Dawn Patrol... I still remember the shock of being recognized at that game. Doesn't happen too often... unless I'm in Baja with a loaded donkey beside me... And weren't you there that day Mr. Fisher? Thanks for all the kind thoughts... I'll recall them when I'm camped in a howling storm in a week or two.

Hope to depart Punta Final Friday. Will probably look a little overloaded till I go through stuff and get organized. Full moon approaching with high tides and strong currents, I might be tempted to do a little moonlight paddling to take advantage of conditions. My idea of kayaking with wind and current doing most of the work.

Weighed 150 lbs this morning. If trips lasts more than a couple of weeks, I'll probably be closer to 140 lbs. Love my Baja diet... works every time, weight loss without even trying.

Almost hope nobody spoils it by bringing me any cold beers or parachuting down a barrel of Heineken.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-21-2015 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Graham  
Thanks Geoff... whatever happens there's bound to be a few stories and pictures from this.

Dawn Patrol... I still remember the shock of being recognized at that game. Doesn't happen too often... unless I'm in Baja with a loaded donkey beside me... And weren't you there that day Mr. Fisher? Thanks for all the kind thoughts... I'll recall them when I'm camped in a howling storm in a week or two.

Hope to depart Punta Final Friday. Will probably look a little overloaded till I go through stuff and get organized. Full moon approaching with high tides and strong currents, I might be tempted to do a little moonlight paddling to take advantage of conditions. My idea of kayaking with wind and current doing most of the work.

Weighed 150 lbs this morning. If trips lasts more than a couple of weeks, I'll probably be closer to 140 lbs. Love my Baja diet... works every time, weight loss without even trying.

Almost hope nobody spoils it by bringing me any cold beers or parachuting down a barrel of Heineken.

Sure you do.. right!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2015 at 08:39 AM

Imagine the joy seeing that exiting a Cessna and drifting down on a golf umbrella... especially when you haven't had a sniff of beer for two weeks.

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 10-21-2015 at 08:44 AM

Sounds great, hope you have a successful venture.

bacquito
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2015 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Graham  

Dawn Patrol... I still remember the shock of being recognized at that game. Doesn't happen too often... unless I'm in Baja with a loaded donkey beside me... And weren't you there that day Mr. Fisher?

Yes and so was Ms Fisher and maybe Wil??? I remember we went to some slot canyons with a big stash of beer at some point. Miss those Angel spring training 2 week sessions. Seeing Reggie Jackson, Rod Carew, Tony Gwynn, Dawn Patrol, and many others.
PS to Dawn Patrol-- I remember you coming up to Graham when we were walking out of the game. Amazing stuff goes on around here!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2015 at 12:26 AM

Amazing to recall all this... hi to Ms. Fisher and the family.

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-22-2015 at 02:28 PM

Maybe we can send some beer in for you by drone...

Pages:  1    3  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.