BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Patricia update/links: Here's why the mainland dodged a very large bullet
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2015 at 06:30 PM

Thanks tio. We will see what tomorrow brings? Its just starting now.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-22-2015 at 10:18 PM

Just vamped to Cat. 5... expected Cat.4 landfall.

Y'all be well and stay safe. This is the real deal for Mainland.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2015 at 10:19 PM

Reminds of the Rabbi's prayer in Fiddler on the Roof.

May the lord keep the czar. . . . . far from me!"

Insert 'Patricia' for 'the czar'.

Mike in Mulege
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 05:07 AM

Bob Henson, writing in Dr. Jeff Masters' weather blog on WU, has provided us with a thorough description of Patricia; as of his writing last night and her place in history in the Eastern Pacific. One of the strongest storms ever, anywhere. She is now CAT V and may hold that intensity as she makes landfall. This is an extremely serious event for the areas near PV and Manzanillo. Unless people and the Mexican government are well prepared, significant loss of life is a real possibility.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?en...
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 05:34 AM

This might come in handy, later.

http://www.puertovallarta.net/interactive/webcam/puerto-vall...

Now seeing descriptions that Patricia is at 175mph with gusts to 215. After yesterday's Hurricane Hunter Drive-Thru by the USAF, she is officially the strongest storm on record in the NHC's neighborhoods.

[Edited on 10-23-2015 by Hook]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 06:10 AM

NHC says that this H is the strongest ever on record in both Atlantic and east Pacific AOR.

I think al gore and many have told us that global warming will bring extreme weather...

bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 07:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I think al gore and many have told us that global warming will bring extreme weather...

don't be ridiculous. Baja Nomads' very own obese 'Michelle Bachmann' informs us that actually, god is in control.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  

don't be ridiculous. Baja Nomads' very own obese 'Michelle Bachmann' informs us that actually, god is in control.

Why did god send this storm to mexico? Who is he determined to punish?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 08:12 AM

Why did god send this storm to mexico? Who is he determined to punish?

Time Share salesmen
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 08:13 AM

If the webcam doesn't blow away, we can see what's happening.

http://www.webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-puerto-vallarta

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 08:37 AM

I think loss of the supporting infrastructure (wires, fiber, power) will take the web cams off line later today, even if the buildings remain intact.

This looks really really bad, PV won't be the same place tomorrow.
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 09:17 AM

To grasp what this mega-Category 5 hurricane will do when it makes landfall as a mega-Category 5 hurricane, load the file below on your browser and wait awhile for the graphic to appear. It will visually demonstrate the matter in a way that mere words cannot adequately describe.

THIS STORM WILL EVISCERATE CONCRETE BUILDINGS, WOOD FRAMES, ALL EXPOSED INFRASTRUCTURE, EVERYTHING. The only good news is that the strongest winds are confined to a 15 mile radius.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshws.php

Anyone near the probable area where it will probably make landfall should have already left the area, getting 70 miles from the entire zone where it might make landfall.

Here is what NHS says about "ordinary" Category 5 storms:

(major) 157 mph or higher
137 kt or higher
252 km/h or higher Catastrophic damage will occur: A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.

[Edited on 10-23-2015 by Zola]

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 10:09 AM

Tomorrow is TODAY!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Zola
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 10:12 AM

Puerto Vallarta and Punta de Mita are two of my favorite places in Mexico. I have a very good friend in Tepic and am not sure whether or how much it will be affected. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks.

My prayers and thoughts go to the people of that wonderful coast this tragic day.

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 10:20 AM

I have been exploring Baja for a few years now, but over my life time, I have spent more time on that stretch of the mainland that is getting hammered right now. My last visit there was to Melaque (sp) in winter 07.

I hope for the best for the people and places along the coast, and in the mountains there. I am afraid that even if the winds don't live up to the forecast, the rain will cause massive destruction.

Good luck to the folks in the bulls eye, and hope for a speedy recovery.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Zola
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 10:37 AM

It looks as though it will make landfall in between Manzanilla and Puerto Vallarta. The sustained winds will be at app. 200 miles per hour for a 15 mile radius. Hurricane-force winds will affect a 30 mile radius (NHS doesn't say how strong the wind will be outside the 15 miles radius). Tropical-storm winds will affect a 175 mile radius. In the center of the storm, the sustained winds will still be at app. 150 mph. after the hurricane has traveled over land towards San Nicolas. Then the mountains and land will cause it to dissipate quickly. It will bring a tremendous storm surge along the coast, very large waves, and a prodiguous amount of rainfall, especially in the mountains.

I understand that the Mexican authorities have evacuated people from the region that is expected to take a direct hit.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 10:48 AM

Let's not let the discussion about this impending tragedy deteriorate into another off-topic political or climate change rant (we have had our fill of that ).....please.:light:

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  

Don't believe everything you think....
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 11:35 AM

I enjoy reading the Brits, they don't mince words:

The worst hurricane ever: Tourists evacuate as catastrophic category-five Patricia with 200mph winds and 40ft waves barrels towards Mexico

'Extremely dangerous' Hurricane Patricia will hit Mexico this afternoon or evening
National Hurricane Center predicted 200mph winds and deadly mudslides
20 inches of rain could also fall as the storm reaches Puerto Vallarta resort
40ft waves set to batter coastline as locals board up homes & businesses
Only 1 other category 5 Pacific storm has made landfall and it killed 1,800
1959 hurricane had 160mph winds - weaker than Patricia's current gusts
World Meteorological Organization official compared Patricia to Typhoon Haiyan, which killed more than 6,300 people in the Philippines in 2013
'The winds are enough to get a plane in the air and keep it flying,' said a WHO spokeswoman of Patricia
Three airports located in Patricia's path - in Tepic, in Nayarit state, Puerto Vallarta, in Jalisco state and Manzanillo, in Colima state - have been shut down

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3285166/Storm-Patric...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Zola
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 11:41 AM

Patricia does not have "gusts" that exceed 160 mph. It has SUSTAINED WINDS of 200 mph. It will have sustained winds of 150 mph even after it has traveled inland a ways. Very few if any human structures can withstand the force of such winds. The storm surge and the rain will also cause immense problems. These people will need our help.

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 12:00 PM

Max winds 200, gusts to 245 as of 8AM Friday....
does not look good at all

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/eastern-pacific/2015/H...

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.