Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Theft at malarrimos
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 09:49 AM

I stayed at cowboys last night because of this report about the stealing -my car is filled to the brim with everything I bought for the teens. I would be DEVASTATED if even one pair of shorts was touched.

I went to dinner at Malarrimo because the filet mignon is beyond delicious. I talked to the waiter and then the manager about the robbery and they are going to take steps. It seems to me that the night watchman MUST be awake at all times.

The said they had never heard about a robbery before and were not happy. I told them that the negative publicity was damaging.

They were packed last night - full house.

Hopefully that was the end of that episode of this hotel's history and there will be no more stealing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

those reverses onto one way tire slicers are lethal! A friend slashed all 4 tires of a rental doing that once. Way to start a trip eh?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 09:55 AM

Maybe photos of each hotel's parking area to compare (for those who need some security)?

Shari posted Posada Don Vicente was the only true secure parking... but then Blanca chose Cowboys Motel for security reasons?

What about Las Conchas or whatever the name was of the place Sirena worked?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 11:00 AM

There is no such thing as secure motel parking. Even if you go to a motel with walls topped by razor wire. All motels have theft risk. If you cant accept risk of theft, then take your stuff into hotel room.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 02:44 PM

All other hotel parking lots are open to the public more or less...some like Cowboy have a narrow entrance but is not monitored. Las Dunas beside the grocery store puts a rope across the entrance at night and also has someone in the office right at the entrance but most tourists wouldnt like the quality of those rooms or beds.

Posada Don Vicente is the only place with a big iron gate that is closed at night and there is the night watchman on duty right beside the gate...the guy has worked there for many years.

But as often is the case...Goat has a good point as people inside the hotel parking could always steal something too.

[Edited on 10-28-2015 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 05:50 PM

It happened to me also about three years ago at Cowboys. The owner, Chabelo, met with me after I made the police report at the office of the Delegacion. He swore he would make it up to me if I did not say anything on the web about the theft. After numerous phone calls and three personal visits within 18 months, he did NOTHING!
The other hotel that I know has had theft problems is the new one on the curve into GN. I only read about that hotel and the theft on another site (I monitor 7 Baja bulletin boards).
In the case of the Cowboy hotel, the night watchman was distracted into the office by one of the thieves, while the theft occurred in the parking lot. The watchman saw the car race out of his lot with our stuff and was able to obtain a description and lic. plate of the car. It turned out that the main perp. was related to one of the municipality's officials, and nothing was done as far as punishment by the local cops.:fire:

Quote: Originally posted by Rumrunner  
Stopped for one night last week. Checked in at 10 pm took the rods and reels
To the room. Left at 5am. Noticed fishing boots and some tackle missing. Woke up the night "watchman" took while to get him to answer. He was muttering profanities and said he didn't see anything. Only a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff, but just wanted to give a heads up.

[Edited on 10-24-2015 by Rumrunner]

[Edited on 10-29-2015 by Udo]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 05:57 PM

What would you like Chavelo to do Udo? You know that in Mexico, perps can get away with things if they are connected politically...not really much Chavelo can do about it. Several other places also got robbed by these guys that night too. Interesting way to do it...one guy takes the watchman into the office saying he wants to rent a room...then has no change to pay for it and says he will come back with change..meanwhile the other guy is taking stuff from vehicles and then they drive away.

I hadnt heard about the Terra Sal robbery...what happened?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 06:14 PM

Hola Shari!
In my instance, Shari, I would have liked Chabelo to keep his promises (I'll go into it in a PM if you wish with you).

Udo

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 06:39 PM

Yeah, any other info on the Terra Sol robbery, I plan to stay there next week, although no open truck. thnaks

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 06:50 PM

Sounds like we need a Nomad approved motel/hotel list!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
It happened to me also about three years ago at Cowboys. The owner, Chabelo, met with me after I made the police report at the office of the Delegacion. He swore he would make it up to me if I did not say anything on the web about the theft. After numerous phone calls and three personal visits within 18 months, he did NOTHING!
I hope the Cowboy hotel goes broke because I will plaster their name negatively on all Web sites that relate to Baja. The other hotel that I know has had theft problems is the new one on the curve into GN. I only read about that hotel and the theft on another site (I monitor 7 Baja bulletin boards).
In the case of the Cowboy hotel, the night watchman was distracted into the office by one of the thieves, while the theft occurred in the parking lot. The watchman saw the car race out of his lot with our stuff and was able to obtain a description and lic. plate of the car. It turned out that the main perp. was related to one of the municipality's officials, and nothing was done as far as punishment by the local cops.:fire:

To the room. Left at 5am. Noticed fishing boots and some tackle missing. Woke up the night "watchman" took while to get him to answer. He was muttering profanities and said he didn't see anything. Only a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff, but just wanted to give a heads up.

Udo,
Very unfair to blame the owner for your loss. Hotels should only make reasonable security arrangements, they cannot protect you from all thefts. Hotels can't and should not be responsible for losses due to your own carelessness. You are solely responsible for having the sense to not leave valuables in your car!
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 07:06 PM

I agree, David!

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Udo

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 07:08 PM

Fair enough Mtgoat.

Udo

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 08:14 PM

boy oh boy

theft everywhere

If someone wanted to steal from the cowboy, they certainly could but I liked the fact that it is further set back - I also thought that the same person who was at Malarrimo might still be there since the theft was so recent.

My stuff was locked in the car so they would have had to break a window to get in. I would have been very, very saddened since I worked very hard to buy so much stuff for the teens!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 08:41 PM

We have had no problems, other than a few flat tires and flaky Internet, in the past 10 trips through Baja from top to bottom. We have stayed at RV parks, Catavina, hotel parking lots, Cowboys and Hotel Terrasal, had good service at all stops and take the usual precautions to secure our stuff.

I always like to see a night watchman and especially a resident dog. Not much gets past the neighbourhood dogs. At Posada Don Diego, Vicente Guerrero, the RV park is not protected by walls. One morning we woke up to find the the night watchman in his car beside our 2 rigs watching over things.

I don't think the problem of theft is particular to Baja. There's people looking for an opportunity wherever one goes.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 10:29 PM

Several years ago one of my ride buddies decided to enjoy the pleasures of a dancer from a club in San Felipe....they had their party in his pickup truck cab in the motel parking lot....and the night watchman was awake at least for that few hours ....and nothing was stolen from his truck....except maybe his heart for a few days...as he had that faraway look for Esmerelda ....:biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2015 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
The other hotel that I know has had theft problems is the new one on the curve into GN. I only read about that hotel and the theft on another site (I monitor 7 Baja bulletin boards).

Udo,
Very unfair to blame the owner for your loss. Hotels should only make reasonable security arrangements, they cannot protect you from all thefts. Hotels can't and should not be responsible for losses due to your own carelessness. You are solely responsible for having the sense to not leave valuables in your car!

Udo

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2015 at 10:18 AM

Could end up as a slander list....it seems we have enough opinions shared about such things....

Organizing such a list by Nomads is kind of like big government managing people's lives....it ain't their role :biggrin:

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 10-29-2015 at 10:51 AM

^^ Perhaps not an "approved" list, but at least "recommended" based on actual Nomad travel experience.

That's one reason I enjoy reading Nomad's posts that include reports and details about various places to stay (or avoid). I have offered my own when I find something worthwhile that's new or off the beaten path (e.g., La Huerta in San Ignacio or Maru in Rosalillita).

So instead of a list- please continue to post your trip reports and related "reviews." They are appreciated!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-29-2015 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Could end up as a slander list....it seems we have enough opinions shared about such things....

Organizing such a list by Nomads is kind of like big government managing people's lives....it ain't their role :biggrin:

Wow ged, you are sounding down right Libertarian...therapy works magic some times, keep up the good work. :lol::lol:

btw: I want to go on record to say that it wasn't me you were talking about in the motel parking lot in San Felipe...and I never told you her name was Esmerelda...

[Edited on 10-29-2015 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2015 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Wow ged, you are sounding down right Libertarian...therapy works magic some times, keep up the good work. :lol::lol:

btw: I want to go on record to say that it wasn't me you were talking about in the motel parking lot in San Felipe...and I never told you her name was Esmerelda...

[Edited on 10-29-2015 by dtbushpilot]

David,
Libertarian? Libertine ....maybe :saint: :cool:

And you are correct.....you weren't there....and I will stick to that story up until waterboarding :lol:

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.