Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Theft at malarrimos
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Las Dunas beside the grocery store puts a rope across the entrance at night and also has someone in the office right at the entrance but most tourists wouldnt like the quality of those rooms or beds.

[Edited on 10-28-2015 by shari]

Hi Shari,
I guess I am low on the scale of nomads' standards cause I think the Dunas is just fine. Ultra cheap, the rooms are Spartan but clean and the foam mattress on concrete base is fine with me. On this trip I stayed at Hotel Ballenas which is just a bit more but has really good wifi and the owners are very nice.
For just an overnight hotel I don't need much, quiet, hot water, wifi.

I hope to get to Asuncion on my way north next week. I'm on the bike while Kathy is at home waiting for the new grand daughter who is expected to make her arrival in the next few days.
Kurt
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  

..... On this trip I stayed at Hotel Ballenas which is just a bit more but has really good wifi and the owners are very nice.
For just an overnight hotel I don't need much, quiet, hot water, wifi.

Kurt

For an inexpensive overnight we have often used Hotel Ballenas --- very basic, and as you said the owners are great and live right there.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Sounds like we need a Nomad approved motel/hotel list!

That would be good for at least 50 pages! We enjoy some places that others won't go near and visa versa. We have rented houses that were filthy and where the sheets were not changed, and others write raving reviews. We enjoy the Mission Hotel in Cataviņa and others have nothing good to say about it. I don't think there would one place where there was total agreement, not one. :biggrin:

So it would really be quite impossible to have a "Nomad" approved place --- that is unless Doug wants to play Triple A as he is Baja Nomad.

It might be a fun read, however. Then again, probably not.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 12:54 PM

Look forward to seeing you Kurt!
You have to check the beds at Las Dunas as some are terrible...the new foam mattresses are good though and wifi works best in the end rooms. We stay there alot and like the location if we are getting car work done etc as it is central and lots of stores nearby...great coffee across the street too.

Hotel Ballenas is also nice and quiet and a family operation but the rooms are a bit tired and need a carpet upgrade.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 07:40 PM

Another Malarrimo incident,
My wife and I stayed there in a truck and camper. We were parked up against the back wall in the R.V. spots. The wife went to take a shower in the ones provided.
The windows had been broken out but replaced with plywood, there were holes carved into them....While taking her shower she thought she saw someone watching her through the peep holes. When she exited the shower she walked around the back side to fine a employee standing on the propane tank that had been watching her shower. :fire:Just wanted anyone in the same situation to be aware.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 03:37 AM

whoa, that is awful. I sure hope you told someone from Malarrimo? Awful.

even though I stayed at cowboys, it is definitely not safer, so to speak. There is no guard and no dog, but there is a narrow entrance and the vehicle was right in front of my room. I just wanted to avoid he robber at Malarrimo's.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 05:58 AM

Maybe time to boycott this hotel until the owners step up to make it safe .

Good thing it wasn't my wife .... There would have been some -ss-kicking along with a call to the police .
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 06:27 AM

Would have been interesting to see whose burro got kicked and to see the Police response to assaulting a Mexican national...

ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 06:43 AM

Chuckie ... a man without honor . :( I know the laws in mexico . I also know that they don't put up with this chit either .

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 06:46 AM

Right...go for it...

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 06:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ligui  
Maybe time to boycott this hotel until the owners step up to make it safe .

Good thing it wasn't my wife .... There would have been some -ss-kicking along with a call to the police .

"Malarrimo" translates to "Bad to get near" (ie. stay away!)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 07:18 AM

You got to wonder why he was still standing there after she dressed (I an assuming she did) and exited the shower....must not have been the brightest light around.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 07:39 AM

must have been difficult to run with a chubby?

edit::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 10-31-2015 by woody with a view]

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 08:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
must have been difficult to run with a chubby?

edit::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 10-31-2015 by woody with a view]

Maybe he was still stuck in one of the plywood holes... which is a good reason to always shower with a pocket knife.
:O

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 08:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
You got to wonder why he was still standing there after she dressed (I an assuming she did) and exited the shower....must not have been the brightest light around.

A little squirt of shampoo thru the little hole would have taught even the dimmest bulb a lesson. :light:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by UnoMas  
Another Malarrimo incident,
My wife and I stayed there in a truck and camper. We were parked up against the back wall in the R.V. spots. The wife went to take a shower in the ones provided.
The windows had been broken out but replaced with plywood, there were holes carved into them....While taking her shower she thought she saw someone watching her through the peep holes. When she exited the shower she walked around the back side to fine a employee standing on the propane tank that had been watching her shower. :fire:Just wanted anyone in the same situation to be aware.

"She thought she saw"
Sounds like was not certain. Perhaps the person was just working near the wall and what she saw was not what she thought?
The son who runs the hotel seems like a good guy, did you talk to the inn keeper?
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 02:45 PM

....and so goes the rumour mill....with added braggadocio....

"He said, she said"....some is true....or it ALL must be true...cuz you read it on the internet ....

A good reason to keep the stories rolling but not canonizing them in a Hotel List :light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkhPuH8G5Hg

Don't believe everything you think....
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 04:41 PM

Face it. There is not a secure parking lot at any hotel in GN.

In our travels over the years, I really can only remember Hotel San Nicholas in Ensenada that has a security guard 24/7, and is fenced in,
and the Hacienda Suites in Loreto that has a walled parking lot out back that gets locked after sunset.

Admittedly, as was previously post (goat?), There is almost no totally secure lots on the peninsula, but the two mentioned above are as good as it gets.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 05:20 PM

2 more centavos...

JARDINES in san quintin has a night watchman that DOES watch.
i walked to the parking lot to get something out of my trailer around 3 a.m. and he was definitely watching AND wide awake and again at 6:30 a.m., he was there when i went to get coffee.

THE OLD MILL in san quintin has a courtyard parking lot and i never had a problem there.

also in loreto, HOTEL ANGRA has a large, secure parking lot and they close the front gate at night ( only gate ) and open it again around 7 a.m. very nice english speaking and very accomodating owners on site.

verdugo's in los barriles is safe and they close the front and back gates in the evening, around 10 p.m.

maybe 2.5 centavos ?

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 05:44 PM

La Misiones in Ciudad Insurgentes has a locked parking lot...nice clean and very friendly hotel - 6 rooms just south of traffic circle on west side of ro :light:ad

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.