Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Bad Day in Baja
printbr

sad.gif posted on 10-28-2015 at 01:48 PM
Bad Day in Baja

Friday my son and I were travelling to Los Barriles. We crossed the boarder around 7:30 am and high tailed it to Geurreo Negro. Smooth sailing that day.

The next day we left at sun up and drove all day, We heard about the cops in Constitucion so went to the center lane and stopped at every intesection. About half way through town we saw a Federali truck pass us. We were extremely careful to stop at every intersection, marked or not. So we get to the end of town and there are the Federalis behind us and pull us over. The cop says you did not stop correctly. We said oh yes we did. And then he gets angry. and Shouts "You did not stop correctly". Then he demanded 1,000 pesos. So I handed over the money, and the buttcrack try's to shake my hand like we are buddy's or something.

So I am fuming all the way highway and get to La Paz. I turned the wheel over to my son to drive for a while and we get a few klicks through town and I'll be damned if another Federali pulls us over and says we were speeding. Now I know we were not speeding as there were other cars passing and I kept looking at the speedometer wondering why my son was going so slow. So this time both cops get out and come to each window. This guys says If we go to the station it will be $150 or you can pay $100 now. Now I am peeed but I don't know what else to do, as this is my first first foray in mexico, so I hand them $100us note and they thank us and leave. Well 5 Klicks down the road we come to a road block where the military are inspecting. No big deal these guys have been great all along the way. But there is a federali sitting there too. He sees it is an American vehicle and stops us and starts questioning us. Like any open beer etc. Well now I am really peeed and I said no beers just Monster Energy drinks want one? And he says yes and I handed it to him. He still wanted to see a drivers license but I know he only stopped us because he thought he could get something out of us, And I wasn't giving him any money so I tossed him a Monster. It seemed to work but I'm not sure he was entirely satisfied.

I have to says it left a really bad taste in my mouth for Baja Sur. What a disappointment.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 02:03 PM

next time tell the turds to kiss you where you crap and take you to the judge! TELL ALL YOUR 1ST TIME FRIENDS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!!

they played you like a guitar.....

edit: i'd love to listen to their radio chatter every time one of those A-holes take down a gringo. i bet the other jack-wads come running for miles around to line up down the road and get a piece!:lol:

consider it a lesson and learn from the pain!

[Edited on 10-28-2015 by woody with a view]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 02:14 PM

You gave them way too much. Best to tell them you'll go to the judge especially if you did nothing wrong.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 02:16 PM

Please don't pay them.

I've been stopped a few times, but I have never paid a cop in Mexico, Central America, or South America. Honduras shortly after the 2009 coup was pretty bad.

For me, being polite, smiling, and offering to pay the amount in return for a receipt has worked. No one seems to want to write a receipt for a bribe. I had one guy in Nicaragua telling me he was going to put me in jail over the weekend, so that I could see the judge on Monday. I told him that I was very sorry for whatever I had done (I think I turned from the wrong lane), and that I would be happy to get to spend more time in his town. He was so angry when I didn't pay, but eventually let us go.

For others, not speaking Spanish has worked just as well but taken a little bit longer.
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 02:21 PM

I read all the time that one should NEVER pay a bribe to local and/or federal police. We should insist on going to the Judge. If it comes to that, why would the Judges be any less crooked? Just wondering. Thanks for any insight/input.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 02:26 PM

Thanks for reenforcing their perception that gringos are easy marks. Do you also feed bears?

"The future ain't what it used to be"
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 02:32 PM

I fully understand about the Federales being on the take, no doubt about it..... but if you 'high-tailed it' all the way from the border at 07:30 to Guerrero in one day, and through the Cataviņa minefield, you can't honestly say you obey all the speed limits in Baja. You still have much to learn, especially about blowing a front tire at 85+ mph on that highway. Sorry for your loss of cash, good thing that was all you lost.
;)

[Edited on 10-28-2015 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 02:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maron  
I read all the time that one should NEVER pay a bribe to local and/or federal police. We should insist on going to the Judge. If it comes to that, why would the Judges be any less crooked? Just wondering. Thanks for any insight/input.

I don't know if the judges are any more or less crooked. I think the hope is that the cop is lazy and will go for an easier mark instead of actually taking you to the judge.

[Edited on 10-28-2015 by BigBearRider]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 02:43 PM

HEY LOCO, Its not his fault...First time in BAJA cops can be pretty intimidating...This kind of thing is becoming more and more common in Baja Sur...I have been going back and forth for over 40 years.My last trip north, at a military check they planted some 9mm cartridges in my truck. I am now 80 years old, by myself and in handcuffs.Ya know what? I PAID...That's a decision to be made by the individual on the spot. Not by some armchair hero who wasn't there...

amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 02:51 PM
bad day

My two cents is never pay and never let them know you understand Spanish. In thirty years of Baja,Mainland and Central America I have always driven away with out paying. There's very few places in the Baja that I haven't been stopped and I always out wait them. In Central America I was pulled over and when I took the cops picture and tried to make him write down his name I thought I was going to get an ass whipping when the cops partner pulled him away and told me to go. Always get their name, badge number pic if possible and tell them to take you in. They never will.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
HEY LOCO, Its not his fault...First time in BAJA cops can be pretty intimidating...This kind of thing is becoming more and more common in Baja Sur...I have been going back and forth for over 40 years.My last trip north, at a military check they planted some 9mm cartridges in my truck. I am now 80 years old, by myself and in handcuffs.Ya know what? I PAID...That's a decision to be made by the individual on the spot. Not by some armchair hero who wasn't there...

Scary - which check point was it?

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 02:59 PM

...sounds like yet another good reason for a dashcam.

Please NEVER pay the bribe.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 03:11 PM

My last trip north, at a military check they planted some 9mm cartridges in my truck. I am now 80 years old, by myself

I've heard of some checkpoint thefts, but that is a nasty story. Being by yourself does open the door for extortion. Seems there
was a post here recently, which had BN's lining up gushing about the integerity of Mex Fed Hwy Cops
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 03:12 PM

BigBearRider

Thanks for the input
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 03:17 PM

I'm sorry about your recent experience. That must have been very unpleasant.

I had sort of the opposite experience recently driving north. I had a few thousand pesos in the seatback pocket of the front passenger seat that I had forgotten. The young military guy pointed out the money to me, and said to take it to make sure that it didn't get lost at another checkpoint.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 03:43 PM

I have had hundreds of good experiences...It only takes ONE bad one to sour the rest...

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 03:57 PM

the TURD wants $100 or more. the judge will fine you $12 or less for supposedly running a stop sign.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 04:44 PM

Not all marked police vehicles are federal police, you probably got nailed my local cops. especially in La Paz! i had one on a motorcycle claim he was a Federale, but he did not even have a badge on. Sorry, no mordida for you!

The checkpoint south of La Paz you mentioned, the last time I went through, I was waved through by the police, but they were checking Mexican plated vehicles more thoroughly. The police car was marked Policia Estal, or something like that. I don't know if that is a local agency, or maybe state police (?) but I don't think they were federal.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 04:46 PM

My rule is to never pay a bribe and to always speak in Spanish if you have the fluency. I'm always very polite and very patient and will spend 60+ minutes with the officer if necessary. I keep talking and never hint at paying a bribe.

Any threats the officer makes, I just go along. Spend the night? OK, if I have to do it. Go to the delegation office or before a judge. OK, if I have to do it. The trick is to be very firm and wear the officer down. He's looking for a quick payoff. If you're innocent, don't give in to the easy out. It only makes it more difficult for the next person who is stopped. And remember to smile.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 04:48 PM

If a cop asks you for money, just say NO

If he orders you to follow him after saying the fine will be bigger than what he tried to get, follow him (play along).

Before getting to the judge, if you did nothing wrong, he will tell you to take off (make sure you get your license back, if you took it).

As stated above, if you did break a traffic law, the fines in Mexico are small... insist on going to the judge and paying the fine!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.