Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: First Timer
photograham

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 07:34 PM
First Timer

This has been on my bucket list for a while.
I'm considering driving from San Francisco to the tip of Cabo to pick up my lovely wife and spend a week at Rancho Pescadero for the Todos Santos music festival... second week of Jan. We have been to Rancho Pescadero several times but this would be my first time driving down.
I've heard so many horror stories of traveling through the Baja.
I'm not fluent in Spanish but am learning enough to get by. I've driven all over the world so that's not an issue. My friends say if I take my new'ish Toyota Tacoma, I'd be high jack'ed in a heart beat. I do plan on bringing a lot of photo gear, as I'm a photographer by trade.
My wife is very concerned with me driving alone down the Baja.
What's your take?... any info, suggestions, cautions, greatly appreciated!

[Edited on 10-29-2015 by photograham]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 07:56 PM

Not a problem. Just take precautions as if you were driving back to St Louis. I would recommend not driving at night. Watch your speed especially in cities. You will find many people speak English at the hotels, restaurants and PEMEX stations. But it is really good to say what you can in Spanish. Take plenty of pesos especially for gas. Smile and be kind and have fun.
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 08:22 PM

little things to remember... or a reminder

camera gear, electronics.. keep out of sight even when parked,, double check doors are locked... nothing in bed of truck while you go in for tacos or bano.... not always but if its loose its fair game a lot...
watch the pump when filling up, make sure it is zeroed out,, there are other trick some play.. just always be the pleasant gringo....
it is a long road down... be aware of your surroundings... most are wonderful folks and will help in a heartbeat...
not tryin to scare you away...
if you stop in Mulege come by and have a cold beer...

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 08:31 PM

It is good to anticipate what you could encounter and how to handle it, but don't overthink things! Getting carjacked on the way down is not something I would spend any time worrying about.

I was preparing for my fourth trip down the length of Baja when I found this forum while looking for news about Norbert (the storm). Prior to that, all I used to find my way around was a AAA map, and converstions with anyone who would answer questions.

My Spanish is marginal, but trying to communicate with it was worth the effort, and adds to the overall adventure. The sense of discovery while heading through, or to places you don't know a thing about is also part of the reason I started exploring Baja. And I am not done yet!

Go, have fun, and post a report here when you get down there! Don't look for advice from anyone who has not done the same trip themselves.

[Edited on 10-29-2015 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
photograham

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 09:34 PM

Thanks for all the good advise. I am aware of not driving at night and keeping your gas tank full.
I have a cab on my truck with tinted windows so you shouldn't be able to see what I have in the bed.
I just don't want to run into any trouble with the so called Federali like printbr did in his post of "Bad Day in Baja"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-28-2015 at 09:50 PM

Hi Graham and welcome to Nomad!

I think all your concerns will be answered... and you and the Tacoma will love Baja! I take it your wife will fly ahead and miss some of the best sites in Baja by not driving down with you? Is she driving back with you?

The best advice I can suggest is for you both is to read (and see photos) of my wife and I (and our Tacoma) having a blast in Baja.. Now since there are a hundred such trips, I suggest looking at our last two trips to Baja Sur (2012 to Cabo and 2015 to Bahia Concepcion). Just so you don't think I work for the tourist board, we did not have a perfect trip this year... but 2012 was.

2012: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=61576

2015: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=79730

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
10-28-2015 at 10:20 PM
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2015 at 08:21 AM

Traveling solo is no problem, just stay alert. I have never been asked for a bribe and have been stopped for speeding, illegal passing and peeing to close to the road, (I HAD to pee :) If you breakdown, no more than a few cars/ trucks will go by before someone offers assistance.
I would be concerned with your photo gear. Going south, at the military ck points, they usually just wave you threw, going north is usually a complete search by several soldiers, you will not be able to keep and eye on them. Suggest bring minimum gear, maybe a field jacket with your mirrorless and a few lenses in the pockets. Or all the gear in one bag, that you can oversee during the inspection.
I have never had trouble at a military ck pt but others have been ripped off.
Be sure to post your pics of the trip! Have fun.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2015 at 08:30 AM

Make sure your Tacoma floor mats are clean each morning before reaching military checkpoints... your shoes can introduce any substance you walk over in parking lots. :light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 08:14 AM

My novia and I drove from our house in Playas de TJ to Bahia Asuncion in a day (15 hours) in our brand new Nissan pickup loaded with camping and fishing stuff. We had a great time. No one is going to car jack you, highly improbable. Just use common sense. Speak the best Spanish you can. Pay in pesos. I have a car safe, that kept my passport, visa, money, credit cards, etc. Maybe have an extra key hidden. Be prepared, you will be searched at the military checkpoints, just smile let them look.

Having a TJ wife is a huge asset (in so many ways).
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 08:31 AM

Get your FMM at the border

Get your insurance from Bajabound
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 08:54 AM

While getting a TJ wife for the trip down may be a 'huge asset', I recommend sticking with the one you already have. A couple of shakedowns and a hijack would be easier to get over than showing up with a spare!

While you are down there, it would be a shame not to check out the East Cape area.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 10:11 AM

Get a SPOT and take it with you
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 10:52 AM

Everyone above is spot on. Don't over think this trip. I've traveled all over the world and it's no different in Baja than St Petersburg Russia. Use your head, You don't walk down a dark alley at night in Los Angeles or New York, you don't do it in Baja. Same stuff different country. Loose things walk away from the truck bed. Keep your good stuff in one bag and keep it in your room at night. Normal precautions anywhere.
Car alarm, hide a key, use pesos, enjoy your trip, be careful on speed. even if everyone else is doing 60 MPH instead of 60 KMs do 60 KMs. Don't be a target for a ticket. Don't even think of playing games at the border coming back.
Read this forum and take notes on hotels and food on the way down. Your worst parts will be Ensenada (finding the right path through the city) and San Quentin area (lots of traffic on narrow road) after there its easy sailing for the most part. Church's book on camping Baja is still valuable even if it might be dated somewhat and even if you're not camping.
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 06:44 PM

Graham,
You are more likely to get Hijacked at a pemex than else where in my opinion. Watch for the mysterious $500 peso note turning into a $50 peso note or a $200 turning in to a $20 with just a slight of hand. Count the money out to the attendant so he knows you are not a pilgrim. Also watch out for several people accosting you to distract you from what is going on.
Take your most valuables in to your room, if you leave your room take them with you and be sure you can see them at all times. At the check points open one door at a time so you can watch them search.
Not trying to freak you out but be smart and pay attention as these people do this day after day and are very good at what they do:light:. I have driven this route for 20 years, no major problems to speak of but people who look like easy targets are just that.
You will have a great time, enjoy the trip it is a beautiful drive.:coolup:
pelone
Junior Nomad

Mood: Elated

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 07:33 PM

Dear "First Timer"... enjoy the trip and bring the level of anxiety down a bit. Heed common sense--I do not know who your friends are and why they are instilling such a high level of dread for you. The trip is easy and will be an adventure for you. However, a caveat...."THE Baja" is like finger nails on a blackboard. Alert..most do not refer to Washington as The Washington, or California as The California. It is Baja, not The Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 09:53 PM

The Peninsula whose name is Baja California is a magical and wonderful place.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2019 at 07:00 AM

Welcome -- A couple of suggestions
Upgrade your gear to change a flat. If your vehicle has a tire iron and a screw jack upgrade to a cross lug wrench and a heavy duty hydraulic bottle jack. If you plan on going off the pavement bring a 2 x 10 board for jacking in sand, a tow strap and come along too, the board can be used as a "dead man" to get unstuck.
Its tempting to try and dodge potholes to maintain speed but get used to firmly hitting the brakes when you approach a bunch of pot holes or sharp rocks and it will save your suspension and tires.
Carry enough water for 3 days in sturdy water bottle containers.
Carry a paper map that shows the streets in the city where you will be crossing (or print one off here, see Mexicali west above) I have been lost in Tecate, Mexicali, and Tijuana and asking for directions is hard enough even if you speak decent Spanish as many local people may not really know how to get from point a to point b. My truck has a built in compass and I have used it more than once to get un lost.
Driving at night is an invitation to hit a cow.
Keep your valuable camera gear in the room with you.
Get insurance for the full value of your rig through BajaBound and get a FMM at the border. Peace of mind.
Hijackings are extremely uncommon. In the unlikely event that you roll up on a rock in the middle of the road and a guy jumps out of the bushes learn how to drive in reverse at a high rate of speed while looking in the side mirror. :biggrin:
Slow down, smell the cactus, have fun, it is a relaxing pleasant journey for the vast majority of people who do it.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-21-2019 at 07:51 AM

Not a lot to add as so much has been covered.

Service stations are "full" service (mostly) so a small tip is proper
also if an old person bags your groceries , a small tip is appreciated.

Stop at as many taco stands as you can. Look for the one's that are busy with Mexicans looking to get there fix.

When entering most small towns there will be topo's (a big speed bump) be careful.

It is perfectly fine to say "the Baja" if you are Canadian...

Also, I am leaving solo on a trip from Santa Monica to Todos Santos in a couple of weeks, I'm 66 y/o and driving a Honda Element ...

[Edited on 5-21-2019 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2019 at 08:13 AM

post is 4 years old, little spammer bot bumped it up

hope the original TS had a good trip!

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-21-2019 at 08:25 AM

Dang detrag4 , we've been hornswaggled ....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.