BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What is your emergency plan right now?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-29-2015 at 06:11 AM
What is your emergency plan right now?

OK so you are enjoying a beautiful evening by the campfire, barbecuing that delicious fish you caught. You start feeling uneasy, some indigestion at the pit of your stomach, and pressure in your chest. Have you thought about where you are currently or where you might be on vacation in the future in Baja and what your emergency plan is? Who to call? Suggestion is to have your cell phone programmed with a neighbor or close friend if alone. Does your GPS work in your location? If you are with a spouse or significant other, where would you head if there is no ambulance service? What is the closest emergency clinic or hospital in the area? All of us should know these things. Take this scenario and apply it to right now, where you are if in Baja. If you are planning a trip take it to that location where you will be in the near future. And what insurance do you have? Do you know if it will be accepted at the location you will go to? This is a health fire drill, you might be surprised at how unprepared you are, or maybe surprise yourself at your perfect preparedness.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2015 at 07:32 AM
Good thought Ensenada Dr.

It could be most beneficial to develop a list of medical places we might be near. I realize high level care or specialties might be wanting in some regions but at least we could have a chance beyond opening our probably deficient first aid kit in the boondocks.

Maybe a major city by city directory of some sort. It could save endless driving looking for something blindly.

Perhaps we could utilize Nomad's experiences to begin to compile a list.

I've thought about this issue before and welcome useful help.

John M
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-29-2015 at 07:34 AM

While we are talking about this Dr. What is a good Medical Ins to get in Ensanada.For full timer.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-29-2015 at 08:04 AM

this is an excellent topic Dr. and I believe that most people are unprepared for a medical emergency. I have had to deal with several of these in our remote area...people arriving on boats, car & motorcycle accidents and health emergencies... and have learned a great deal about how to respond to them.

What is most important for the person helping you is that you have all your documents in an accessible place and having a clear phone # to call for insurance purposes and next of kin. In an emergency where someone may not be lucid, it is important to have some kind of medical instructions, with allergies, a bit of family history maybe, blood type etc.

I have found that TIME of of the essence and getting a medivac in remote areas is a challenge and takes way too much time to organize. I found that using the local airlines to evacuate the patient was far faster and cheaper too although I had to pay up front till the family could get money to me.

Choosing where to go to get medical help is another important decision in the TIME factor. For example, you are in Turtle Bay and your appendix rupture...where do you go? Although Bahia Asuncion is the closest hospital, we dont do emergency operations here so you nee

Knowing or having a phone number of a contact person who can help you is important. I always give our guests travelling here my cell phone in case of an emergency.

Things can go very wrong in paradise and you really need to have a plan and paperwork in order to help speed up getting the assistance you need. I usually try to get the patient back to the border ASAP if possible to be treated in their home country if possible.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2015 at 09:21 PM

Hola ensenada dr.,

this is such an important topic, thank you.

people do casually travel into mexico, baja, as my son and i did for over 20 years without even thinking about any type of travel insurance. i am sure that people that fly into cabo, puerto vallarta, cancun and others have not even given a thought about what to do in case of an emergency and just depend on their carrier for any health situations.

i have heard of and spoken with a person in los barriles that had a heart problem and had to fork over over $ 100,000.00 TO HAVE HIS PROBLEM RESOLVED AND TOOK ABOUT TWO YEARS FOR HIS INSURANCE TO HELP PAY FOR SOME OF IT. SORRY ABOUT CAPS.

i spoke with my insurance, kaiser, and they said i need to pay for medical services in advance and i would be reimbursed after filing a claim with receipts. AND THEY DID PAY !

don't know if others have travel insurance but it is a very important topic.

thank you for starting this thread,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 12:18 AM

.....personally I take something of an indigenous approach,,,
take some basic precautions, have some 'trust', but don't get wrapped up in the ''what if's?''
......... otherwise I'd never go further than Ensenada :(

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 08:02 AM

I get that and also live mostly by that approach Micah...but now that I have had to "pick up the sticks" of other people's lack of planning...I try to get at least our guests and expats who live in the village to have a plan...so that the person who has to deal with YOUR emergency will at least stand a chance of saving your life.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 09:03 AM
facilities list?

Maybe we can start a list of medical facilities available in the towns along Highway 1 - at least those that offer some level of emergency care? Perhaps along with comment.

TJ?
Ensenada?
San Quintin?

etc

We have only one experience with emergency care and that was in TJ 25 years ago and I have no recollection except I received decent and stabilizing care for injuries sustained in a car accident, sufficient to get us to San Diego.

John M
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 09:09 AM

This is a very important issue!

Ten days ago I posted about the company Global Rescue www.GlobalRescue.com -- It may or may not be the same or similar to www.SkyMed.com

Dealing with necessary details of - and making decision for others situations is something not wished on anyone. Its difficult enough figuring out ones own ..

edited for spelling

[Edited on 10-30-2015 by CaboMagic]

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 09:37 AM

With my personal medical problems, I REALLY had to make a plan for emergency medical attention.

When we went to BA last month, I went through some serious anxieties after leaving Mama Espinoza's in El Rosario.

What if was in my head.

So while in BA, we worked on a plan, including evacuations.

That is the reason we decided to full-time it in Ensenada, and use our dream place in BA as our resort getaway, while the place is for sale or rent. Jana and I kept thinking of how lucky we were to have such a beautiful place to vacation and watch sunsets daily. The detoxifying and relaxation of the front porch is such a healing factor.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 09:53 AM

I have the global "come get me" insurance with my SPOT Tracker. Worse-case, I can hit the 911 button and wait for people to arrive.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 10:02 AM

We have GlobalRescue but haven't used it yet so I can't say how it works in reality. I'm also a member of Binational Emergency, they have my insurance info and emergency contact info and would be the ones to get the ball rolling in case of an emergency. I have dealt with Celia Diaz at Binational in an actual evacuation incident and highly recommend their organization.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  

take some basic precautions, have some 'trust', but don't get wrapped up in the ''what if's?''

That's the "dont worry, be happy" travel isurance policy sold by Inshallah LLC insurers
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by micah202  

That's the "dont worry, be happy" travel isurance policy sold by Inshallah LLC insurers

....ahh,,wouldn't go that far...more like trust in god but tie up your horse, camel.
...some basic insurance, a lot of mindfulness to situations, and a proactive, intuitive approach to health issues.

..it's worked so far. :)

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 11:01 AM

If you are traveling as a married couple, you might want to carry a certified copy of your marriage license in case one of you dies.

We never thought about it until this year when our friend died and his wife had to have the marriage license to claim the body.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 11:53 AM

^^^good info!^^^

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 01:03 PM

After reading several posts here regarding the marriage lic. We are now carrying a copy of it. I am still working on my birth certificate from Wolfratshausen Germany, since my original one burned up in our house fire in the U.S. (It is a enecessity if one dies in Mexico, I read that in a mainland Mexico bulletin board.)

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 01:07 PM

i don't understand the birth cert. if you have a passport or card that should prove your citizenship.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 02:33 PM

OK here is information on medical facilities in Baja. I got this from other people therefore I don't know how up to date or accurate it is.

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2015 at 02:44 PM
way to go TW!

Great stuff TW - I bet you've had that with us on all of our trips!

Now maybe we will solicit updates for these lists, if needed.

John M
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.