BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gonzaga Bay to Mex 1
randrew

[*] posted on 11-6-2015 at 09:11 AM
Gonzaga Bay to Mex 1

Has anyone been through from Gonzaga Bay past CoCo's to Mex1 lately ,our friends came through Feb 2015 and then there was about 25 miles of rough , I wonder how much they've got paved since then ,we are heading for Los Barriles next week and would go that way if we knew the road was finished , thanks Richard
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-6-2015 at 09:27 AM

Lot's of people here, and posted photos too... Search, look at the Road Conditions forum here.

I was over it twice last July. It is 23 graded dirt miles, easy in 2WD, but it is a rough surface, especially the 13 miles from Coco's Corner to Laguna Chapala where they are actively building a new highway roadbed.

No new pavement added beyond the point it ended the past year, 12 miles/20 km. south of the Gonzaga Bay Pemex.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
11-6-2015 at 12:36 PM
Justbozo
Nomad

Mood: Got my little stone hut on the bay

[*] posted on 11-6-2015 at 02:43 PM

Not much change.
Came through about 2 weeks ago pulling a cargo trailer with 2wd PU.
Where it was just dirt road now is dirt detour.
Lots of construction work going on all along the length of the unfinished portion including Laguna Chapala where it got a bit gnarly with standing water, ruts and mud bowls.
Lots of work going on here too as they have to raise the roadbed several feet.
If you are looking for the road to be "finished" my estimation would be at least 2 more years...maybe more. A lot of work done but I would doubt that it is 30% completed.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2015 at 07:18 PM

Current map shows the Baja 800 going from Coco's to the pavement at race speed on the 20-21 of Nov. If that is the case, expect conditions to change.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.