Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Puerto Gato
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 01:21 PM
Puerto Gato

A friend has resumed her blog about some Baja exploring.....and, again, I am drawn to the coastline south of Agua Verde....

Is this road still somewhat intact?

I am NOT asking for a ton of maps as I know where it is....just looking for access intel if anyone has any....

Blog: https://ridingaround.wordpress.com/2015/11/10/testing-the-camper/

[Edited on 11-10-2015 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 01:46 PM

We drove in to Timbabichi several years ago, I assume that would be the access road, hard to tell with my Baja Almanac, maybe a different map might show more detail :o . I know that the road south out of Agua Verde is impassable.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 01:55 PM

David,
I was thinking....would be a good spot to ride into for several days of "stranded on a beach" do nothing time....

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 02:37 PM

Google Earth shows a road from Timbabichi to Puerto Gato.

When we were there in 2012 I followed Karl north and we stopped at a couple of beach areas the last one may have been P. Gato or maybe not.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 03:01 PM

Thanks, guys....I have Google-earthed it (my first step in any travel planning) but , despite a local friend's saying "If you can see it on Google Earth, you can ride it !" I do NOT rely on GE being current road conditions.....but it is a very good base upon which to get more accurate info.....

In 2011 some guys from Kamloops rode motos from Santa Rosalia to San Ignacio on a route determined solely on GE....and they made it, much to the utter dismay of the local rancheros they encountered once out of the maze on the western end of the trip....the "way out" at the crux point of the ride was to follow the burro poop and tracks....

The next year another group of local A riders followed the track and were convinced it was impossible when in the midst of the track....yet they persisted and also completed the route..... Ricardo at Rice and Beans was dumbfounded as he had stated for years it was impossible.

But I still like to check in with the Nomads for their collective wisdom, opinions, wit, and kind words for one another. :biggrin:

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 04:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Google Earth shows a road from Timbabichi to Puerto Gato.

When we were there in 2012 I followed Karl north and we stopped at a couple of beach areas the last one may have been P. Gato or maybe not.

Was that the same year that I went with you? I've slept since then and forgot. I rode in to Agua Verde last year from Constitution, people said the part that goes down the mountain just before AV was impassable but we were on motos so we went anyway. We made it down but it was really bad, one of the riders in our group tried to go back up it a week later just to see if he could....he couldn't. He is a young solid rider. Don't think they have repaired that section yet.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 06:02 PM

David,
I didn't know you went down that road to AV....Harald , I thought, tried and said it was impenetrable...(not sure about that)....I have been under the impression past few years the road was washed out near the bottom just above the arroyo that comes out to the level road between Cosmo (sp?) ranch and AV....and I saw a sign there two years ago put up by Cosmo Rancho saying "Private- keep out"

My sense is that the Timbabichi road to Puerto Gato might be what I am asking about....cool looking coastline and sandy beach....

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 08:58 PM

the last time I was able to drive the "back door" road of Agua Verde was in February 2012
https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Travel/Off-Road-Spass/i-r...

in November of the same year, the road was completely gone at the top
https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Travel/Baja-California-No...

both images show the same location on the road

the damage below that first big landslide was not too bad - but the first one was beyond pick and shovel repair (and we have done a lot of that)

Harald Pietschmann
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 09:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
the last time I was able to drive the "back door" road of Agua Verde was in February 2012
https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Travel/Off-Road-Spass/i-r...

in November of the same year, the road was completely gone at the top
https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Travel/Baja-California-No...

both images show the same location on the road

the damage below that first big landslide was not too bad - but the first one was beyond pick and shovel repair (and we have done a lot of that)

Unless it has been repaired since last year you won't be driving a 4 wheel vehicle through there. The only reason we were able to go down it was that we had gravity on our side. A pro level GNCC rider on a 300 KTM could ride back up but that ain't me.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 10:18 PM

Damn...I gotta get out there...you guys are having way too much fun....Harald....your Smugmug pics are great....I can't get down until December 2016....but will be down for several months...and may be begging for company down to that area.... getting the "DT's", David :coolup:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 10:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Ged, a map would REALLY help here! LOL:light::biggrin:

David,
I know you are jonesing for a map and really appreciate that you trust nomads to find this location on their own if they really want to.

I think leaving some threads unmapped allows some folks the challenge and pleasure of exploring through their own research :saint:

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 11:12 PM

I will admit that I've been zooming around on Google Earth tonight following trails in the area we are talking about. If I had 14 maps from Padre times through today of the area in question I might not have bothered.....or maybe I would have. Sorry DK but sometimes maps aren't necessary, offer to help but let us figure it out on our own if that's what we want to do. ;)

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 08:19 AM

We rode into Agua Verde last season from the north (after Odile), no problem. Local there told us the road out to the SW was no-go in the canyon climb, that jives with what I'm reading here. We didn't go look, we ran out of day.

Will put the Timbabichi route on the list for this winter, see how that goes!

Dust, rocks, no water or gas, dead ends; what am I waiting for!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 09:18 AM

Yes dt it was the same trip. On the morning we were leaving Karl wanted to check out a couple of beaches north so my brother and I tagged along then we met up with everyone back at the hacienda.

Last April my friend BJ and I went to Agua Verde and down the wash for the trail up the mountain. We didn't make it to where it started uphill. Too many rocks.

[Edited on 11-11-2015 by TMW]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 09:54 AM

what's the attraction of Puerto Gato?
The name indicates that the padres used it
anything else?
white beach?
great restaurant?

Harald Pietschmann
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 10:09 AM

Beautiful double coves lined with very large reddish rocks. Don't know if you can drive into Gato, but we have spent time anchored in the north cove. No restaurants, etc.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
what's the attraction of Puerto Gato?
The name indicates that the padres used it
anything else?
white beach?
great restaurant?

Harald,
Just looks like a cool place to hang for a few sleeps.....not much to do except explore the area by foot/moto, sit by a fire at night, enjoy the ubicacion....

I just have a thing about remote places that have desert and ocean stuff going on.....

You live there and get out into it more than I can, so any trips south include some special trips among the daily mundane activities....judging by your photos, you get it. :saint:

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 05:16 PM

or...simply Google Puerto Gato Baja or Puerto Los Gatos Baja for some fine photos taken at the site.

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by Jack Swords]
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 12:48 AM

Thank you , Jack.

David....if someone has time to send you an e-mail, they can Google it themselves and get a map and way more info than your map will offer.

And don't do that "Area 51... I am just helping" thing here, please.

ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 06:34 AM

I've got the time ... Guess i'll do both . :D Thanks for the idea motoged i would have never been able to think that up for myself .

By the way ... thanks for info david
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.