Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Baja Plant Book
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-17-2015 at 06:00 PM
New Baja Plant Book

I was helping my wife out with her art show at the Botanical Research Institute of Texas last week and found this new book co-published by one of the associated researchers (Sula Vanderplank) there:

The website for BRIT and to purchase a copy:

http://shop.brit.org/collections/frontpage/products/bajaplan...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-17-2015 at 07:21 PM

Well, what a great discovery! If you know her, suggest her contacting Discover Baja Travel Club, as they have the largest Baja book store in the state (and sell to non-members as well). Another outlet for her is BajaBooksAndMaps.com online, also with a store in San José del Cabo.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2015 at 07:33 PM

Sula is well known to some people around here. She is great --- and she is right now in Texas. She is a really fun person and very interesting. We loved having her at our home in Baja.

She has been very involved with Tierra Peninsular out of Ensenada which has been very instrumental in protecting large chunks of land in Baja.

http://terrapeninsular.org/en/

Now, if Debra would only publish her work on the flora in BCS

[Edited on 11-18-2015 by DianaT]

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2015 at 08:17 PM

Good idea David, will do when I get back over there next week--she is working at BRIT until January so will try to meet here.

That's great that you know her Diane, small world! Texas was the last place I would have thought to see a new Baja plant book.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2015 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
Good idea David, will do when I get back over there next week--she is working at BRIT until January so will try to meet here.

That's great that you know her Diane, small world! Texas was the last place I would have thought to see a new Baja plant book.

The Berkley plant researcher that we "adopted" in Asuncion planed a few day trip into the mountains that included Sula and Alan Harper from Terra Penisula--- and others. When they returened, they met a our place for dinner and then we all went to the home of the Reserve Rep. It was a good time.

Also, BajaGringo and Astrobaja are very familar with Sula.

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2015 at 08:49 PM

Makes sense she knows BajaGringo--I read she did her Phd. on the flora around San Quintin.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2015 at 11:27 PM

Looks like a great book for the 7 Sisters area. I'll mention it to Woody.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 05:48 AM

Skipjack, hopefully next week I'll be able to talk with her and buy the book(the bookshop was closed when I was there working), wondering how much she has ventured along the coast in the Sisters--there's a couple plants out there that I don't think have been described officially so we'll see if she (they) took care of those.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 08:44 AM

how is this book different from the previous? are there 17 new species ID'd or is it just a new book by a new author?

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2015 at 07:01 AM

Unknown Woody, will let you know when I read it, though it specializes in the north coast flora rather than the entire peninsula like the Baja Field Guide does so it may be able to focus more on less known species (for instance the Baja Field Guide only has a handful of Dudleya species for the entire peninsula and there are at least 10 just in the north coast ecosystem).
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-20-2015 at 08:25 AM

sounds good, Mexitron! let us know...

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 01:07 PM

Got the book--excellent amatuer botanist/layman's plant ID book that focuses exclusively on the Colonet to El Rosario coastal region. Great photos. Good compilation of the general ecosystem compenents in that area plus in-depth looks at the species of the genera Lotus, Astragalus, Lupinus, and Phacelia. It is also bilingual, helpful for use as a school reference book. If you spend much time in that coastal area, or even into the Seven Sisters area the book should be quite useful.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 02:36 PM

Thanks Mexitron.
Why do you suppose the author chose that limited area of Baja?
Is it useful in the Seven Sisters even with it being "exclusively" limited to Colonet-El Rosario because the same vegetation is beyond Rosario or for other reasons??

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 02:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks Mexitron.
Why do you suppose the author chose that limited area of Baja?
Is it useful in the Seven Sisters even with it being "exclusively" limited to Colonet-El Rosario because the same vegetation is beyond Rosario or for other reasons??

That is where Sula did her research for her doctorate

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 02:47 PM

So this is her published dissertation, or that was a base for the book, perhaps? Thank you.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 08:40 PM

boy I sure wish she would do another book for Baja California Sur!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 08:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
boy I sure wish she would do another book for Baja California Sur!

Debra from Mulege has been working on a book that focuses on the plants of BCS for a long time--- a bilingual one. Some of us have been pushing her! Remember Chris the plant researcher who used to stay with us in BA? Well, on my other computer I have pictures of us crawling aroung the area with him, Debra, Pacifica and Jamie and family while Debra identified so many plants. She has written some local phamplets, but she needs to publish! Check out her web site for a lot of information about local plants

Debra's Web Site

BTW-- Chris is now Dr. Chris! It was so much fun helping a young researcher and we learned so much from all of them! Chris's work was with hybrids.

While we are still in communication with Debra as she is a friend, I don't think she is around here any more for some good reasons. :-)

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by DianaT]

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 07:57 PM

Broken link to Debra's page.

What do you mean she's not around here? I saw her yesterday.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
Broken link to Debra's page.

What do you mean she's not around here? I saw her yesterday.

Oh no, I know she and Pacifica are in Mulege right now--- I meant not around Nomads much any more for good reasons. Thanks for the chance to clarify that.

Hope this works better for the link to her site tht has SO much information on it!

Debra's Great Web Site for Flora in BCS

I also edited the first link and I think it now works. There is so much good stuff on her site! Please let me know if it is still not working!

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by DianaT]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 09:31 AM

For good reasons???

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.