Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: changes at the border into Mexico
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 02:38 PM
changes at the border into Mexico

we had a friend over to lunch today and she said there have been some changes at the border when one comes into Mexico (THEY ENTERED THRU SAN LUS, ARIZONA)

1. they were asked how many pets they had. they had two with them at the time. guard told them that only 2 were allowed per car and that if there were more, the solution was to take them back to US and walk them across. ummmm,OK......

2. for the first time ever, they were asked for proof of rabies shot for the pets. which they had. turns out there is one person solely hired to check rabies docs now.

3. they had a boat and they were asked for the TIP on the boat. they did not have it so it took an extra 30 min to do all the paperwork, not an issue- just a change.

So, that's the latest scoop.

[Edited on 11-25-2015 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 02:55 PM

Another note that is different than we experienced before when we crossed a week ago:

We had our Polaris UTV on a small trailer. They now make you go through the huge vehicle X-Ray Unit (like they put the buses through)

They said they are catching a lot of Guns coming through by doing an entire vehicle x-ray?

All they did was check the registration on the trailer and UTV, But the DID NOT search the vehicle , I am assuming since they X-rayed the entire thing?

Seems like everything changes little by little

Alan from San Diego

[Edited on 11-19-2015 by DawnPatrol]
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 03:02 PM

which crossing ?

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 03:06 PM

Blanca, Did your friend say that they asked for a health certificate from a veterinarian, or just proof of rabies? If just a certificate, I wonder if that would be enough to go back north?

Also, does anyone reading this know if a health certificate from a Mexican vet is acceptable by the US border stations?

I intend to have the proper documents (even though I have never been asked for them). I am curious to know if I could get away with crossing SOB on short notice, without scheduling an appointment and paying the US fees, then catching up with the paperwork in Mexico if needed.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 03:28 PM

We always have a recent health cert. from our Mexican Vet. but have only been asked for it once by US agents, even then he didn't actually look at it. All other times (3 - 4 times/yr.) we are not even asked. We also carry up to date vaccination records, but have never been asked going South.

Had a really interesting crossing Southbound just 3 weeks ago, there was nobody manning the Mexican stations at all, no red/green lights nothing, everyone was just driving through, no one at secondary even. This was about 8:00am on a Thursday.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 03:30 PM

Which crossing?

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
We always have a recent health cert. from our Mexican Vet. but have only been asked for it once by US agents, even then he didn't actually look at it. All other times (3 - 4 times/yr.) we are not even asked. We also carry up to date vaccination records, but have never been asked going South.

Had a really interesting crossing Southbound just 3 weeks ago, there was nobody manning the Mexican stations at all, no red/green lights nothing, everyone was just driving through, no one at secondary even. This was about 8:00am on a Thursday.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  

Thats hit and miss Mexico.:)
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 05:21 PM

Good info, I echo which crossing. We use SY quite often with one dog.

Thks
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 06:02 PM

Believe it or not, it was SY

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 06:23 PM

Which crossing? Useless information unless we know where!?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 07:37 PM

the crossing marc and cindy used was in Arizona - I can find out which particular place tomorrow because I don't remember.

we have crossed into san diego with a Mexican vet certificate with rex here at san ysidro with no problem.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 07:49 PM

Blanca, Rex is a great dog! so much fun to watch him go! We got X-ray last Sept. also towing trailer. Told the same thing, guns and cash, coming back! must be a real mess with the 1000 this week! lot of trailers!:o
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 09:03 PM

Crossed at Tecate a few days ago Southbound. They didn't look in the van or ask about a pet. We have a cat. There was no waiting and only a couple cars came through while I was dealing with stuff (30 min??) This was on Monday at 10:30 a.m.

They did look at the contents of my cargo trailer and the home made box on top of it. They asked me a few questions about what was new and what was used.

We agreed on an estimate and I paid about $60 in tax. I don't mind. I get a great deal just living down here for the Winter.

They did want to see the registration for the two dual sport motorcycles and the cargo trailer.

Barbara was just behind me in her Suzuki Swift crammed to the gills with stuff and got waved on through.

Except for a wowser of a blowout North of San Ignatio we made it to Mulege with no problems.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2015 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
which crossing ?

San Ysidro
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2015 at 01:55 PM

As usual it is a crap shoot as to what happens. We have gone both in and out (East border crossing into Calexico) in the last month and were just asked what did we have and where were we going. We had a dog with us and were ever asked for the papers (which I always have). We left to return to the states just this last Tuesday and expected to see tighter security due to the little issue in France but not really. They had the dogs out there sniffing as usual and the guys with mirrors going down the line but we have seen this before. Always an adventure. Nancy
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 02:48 PM

San Luis, Arizona was the crossing.

Been kinda busy at the B&B and teaching lately - took me a while to find out.

Come visit La Bocana

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-26-2015 at 12:38 PM

People crossing southbound (at least into Sonora) should also be aware that Aduana seems to have embarked on a new program of enforcement of bringing alcohol into Mexico. There have been two recent incidents where gringos bringing in excessive quantities were FINED for not declaring how much wine they had. This is a new wrinkle; though they have every right to fine you, they typically have just been charging the tax on the amount over the legal amount. In both cases, they threatened the "smugglers" with impounding their auto. Turns out the fine is negotiable; an English-only speaking Canadian couple paid a fine of around 1000US, while a Spanish speaking gringo talked his fine down to 500-1000 pesos, cant remember which. But the quantities involved were quite different. The Canadians had a total of about five cases, while the other guy had a case plus to half gallons of Carlo Rossi or something like that. The guy was alone.

From what I can glean from talking to the Canadian couple, they were in the nothing to declare line, got the green light and were still visually waved into the inspection area. They were driving a full-sized truck with a shell on the back, which is probably why they were pulled aside even with a green light. Apparently they denied having any wine, after being asked, point-blank if they had any. Their wine was quickly found.

In terms of what the legal amount IS (sometimes a moving target in Mexico, of course!), they were told, and I believe the Aduana website states you can bring six liters of wine per person and three liters of hard alcohol per person. Six liters is, of course, nine conventional, 750 ml bottles. And that is what they were allowed to take, duty-free, 18 bottles.

They were also told that they COULD have been allowed another 18 bottles and paid a steep duty on it (something around 90% of the value THEY assess it to be worth, if you dont have a receipt) which is pretty expensive. I say COULD because, after the way things went down with the denials, they were not allowed to bring in any excess bottles with duty. Just the legal duty-free limit. So, they lost about 3.5 cases.

I dont know how beer might fit into these amounts, if you were bringing it across. I have come across Aduana agents who will allow you to fill your hard liquor quota with additional wine. That probably varies from agent to agent.

They also mentioned that there appeared to be a concerted effort by Aduana to THOROUGHLY search vehicles that were even getting the green light. They had lots of company, when usually there are 1-2 cars in the secondary area. This was around 8am in early November, so it could be a concerted effort for the holiday season. I dont know what day of the week it was.

Anyone noticed an increased effort at the Baja border crossings?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-26-2015 at 12:48 PM

Crossed south at San Ysidro on Monday, 11-23-15

Got a green light, was waved into secondary (driving a Tacoma with a shell)

First two questions........."do you have alcohol" and "do you have any cigarettes".......looked in the bed, then went to the cab....asked if I had any "guns or ammunition"......also looked in the glove box...first time for those questions.....since I didn't have anything that peaked his interest, he sent me on my way
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-26-2015 at 01:06 PM

Hmmm, strange that those were the first two questions. I've never been asked about that. They are always looking for big ticket items.

I'd say a memo went out from Aduana headquarters to the border sups.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-26-2015 at 01:07 PM

Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.