BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Help needed ASAP with a tow El Rosario to San Ysidro or San Diego
cocomo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 07:49 PM

It just says to put everything in neutral. I have 3 manuals in that rig.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 08:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
How hard can it be to get an oil pump in SQ?

There are more than a junkyards that someone would, for the right price, look around for you and there seems to be an Autozone in every decent sized city in Mexico.
They usually can next day stuff.

Are you in El Rosario still or are you elsewhere?

Sounds to me like you have been given every option other than free.

The lady wants to pay $700 for a tow instead of $200 to replace the oil pump, from what I gather reading this thread. Yes, it makes no sense, but truth is often stranger than fiction,....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 08:06 PM

Bad advice in my opinion. An oil pump is not a plug and play item, it is going to require a teardown and thorough inspection to find out why it failed, and what else was damaged from lack of oil.

The seller has already agreed to reverse the transaction, if the vehicle is returned to San Diego. Sounds like a good idea to me!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 08:07 PM

I missed something, I guess.
Are you still with the car or are you elsewhere.
If you are in El Rosario can't you just hop a bus to SQ and get the part?
What about all the tow service numbers you have been given.... most tow truck operators can usually tow a disabled vehicle.

Why hop a bus to get a part? Most any mechanic will get the part and do the work,... Turn key service, with a smile!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 08:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Bad advice in my opinion. An oil pump is not a plug and play item, it is going to require a teardown and thorough inspection to find out why it failed, and what else was damaged from lack of oil.

The seller has already agreed to reverse the transaction, if the vehicle is returned to San Diego.

The OP only needs to get the car 200 miles up the road, so she only needs engine to go 201 miles :light:

cocomo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 08:49 AM

I'm not with the car any more. I had to come home. I was so lucky there were so many people on the road and I got a ride immediately. I was lucky to get a room in town. The seller was going to tow the car back to the US and can't get a tourist card on an expired passport.

The engine has SEIZED, so it's not just an oil pump I need. 3 of the valves are moving, the rest are stuck. We think the oil pump started it and the engine gave up and then tore the timing belt. The head came off and there's burnt oil on it, the oil light never came on. We didn't remove the rest. I checked all fluids in San Vicente when I got gas and everything was fine, maybe needed 1/2 a quart of oil. Temperature was fine, no leaks, nothing loose.

The options are to (1) reverse the transaction or (2) allow the seller to put a used working engine in there and do the clutch plate, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pressure regulator, exhaust manifold, ball bearings. What say you? What is my best choice here?

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 09:10 AM

It was said that some of the towing services can bring the car into the US, so the seller does not need to get a tourist card.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 09:15 AM

how much $ do you have into it already? if you like the car and the seller is willing to go WAY ABOVE AND BEYOND then it sounds like a screaming deal to have a rebuilt/used engine and other parts dropped in.

no one can decide except you.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 09:29 AM

Give it back...could be torn down for months..If he'll take it back...good deal

cocomo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 07:52 AM

I put new brakes on it and had a pre-purchase inspection for a total of $400 US. Then there's airfare to San Diego and lodging. I figure about 3 weeks to get the engine replaced and tested. I'm not in a big hurry, I'm in MEXICO! And I have to go back up in January anyway so maybe I'll just try to drive it down again then.

Antonio from Baja Cactus is helping me get the car back to San Ysidro. He is truly a godsend!!! I regret that I didn't meet him in person when I stayed at the Cactus this trip. I'll stop on the next trip to meet him. What a good man!

Be warned if you need a mechanic in El Rosario: The mechanic emptied my gas can after I left and before the car was moved. He also charged 3200 pesos for the tow and another 500 pesos to look at the car once it got there. I have never heard of that but I didn't want to argue. This is after I fronted him 600 pesos for gas to get the car. I guess he figured out he's not getting work from me and he's charging for extra stuff and stole my gasoline after I left. It's Abraham at Hnos Meza Taller Mecanico on the left after the bend if you're heading south. Avoid him if you can. I thought about calling him to tell him he's being unfair but he probably knows that already.

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 05:16 PM

Eileen,

Your Tracker is on its way back to the US. It left BajaCactus today (Friday) around 2pm.

Antonio Muņoz
BajaCactus

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 11-28-2015 at 05:31 PM

Eileen,

Your vehicle has been delivered to your contact in the US.

Mission accomplished!!!... :bounce:

Antonio Muņoz
BajaCactus

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2015 at 07:17 PM

Excellent Antonio...and thanks for keeping the OP up to date!
cocomo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 08:32 AM

Antonio,
You and your staff are truly a god send! Thank you so much for your assistance and your reliability. This has never happened to me before and I am so grateful for people like you who make "my Baja" so safe and improve my experiences here and beyond. Car seller and I are pleased to make the donation to Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue in El Rosario in your name.

When I tell people in the US I live in Mexico, or that I travel here, they always look incredulous and ask me "Is it safe?!?!?!". I ALWAYS tell them how people are a true community and help each other out. How there is always a friendly face and a solution to whatever the problem is. That is "my Baja", and I'm sticking to it. I've brought friends to Baja and let them experience it for themselves. There are more on the way this winter!

A friendly helpful community that is everywhere, except sometimes on BajaNomad where the old goats are grumpy. :)

Thanks also to all you Nomads for your input and advice, and for putting me in touch with Antonio. This is a good ending to a long story and I'll be picking up the rebuilt car soon in San Diego, and hopefully there is no "chapter 2" to this story.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.