Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Hwy 3 to Melling?
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 04:00 PM

Why is it when someone wants road conditions, the same ld people post nonsense from 10 years ago? Won't that just get people in trouble? The only constant is the climate, hhahahaha.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 04:08 PM

I wasn't saying good or bad, just stating what happened.

Since you want to open this up with moral values, I suppose we can say while it was "their" land to close, the results were that by choosing to not welcome one group that could have been a whole new clientele (which was their right), they have gone out of business. :?:

Maybe it wasn't being annoyed by off-roaders but more about the fear of the pot growers?

I am bummed that we did not get up there to see or stay at the place before they closed. I had several exchanges with Mike over the years about water systems, history of the area, and more. I am sorry they chose to end the project. I love astronomy and Baja.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Not to Highjack this thread, but isn't the Dark Skies compound on this road? What ever happened to the compound?

We may be discussing different roads?

a) Hwy. 3 to Meling is through Mike's Sky Rancho to (or near) El Coyote to Observatory road west of Meling.
b) The Simpson Ranch is west of Mike's and if passable offers a way to get to El Coyote and Meling without passing through Mike's.
c) Dark Skies Inn (Rancho Concepcion) is east of Mike's and Melings and on a road that goes east from El Coyote, past Mike's old airport and to Concepcion.
e) A newer road was made from Concepcion (Dark Skies Inn) south to the Observatory road above (east of) Meling Ranch.

Yes, Dark Skis Inn gated closed the original road used to get to Rancho Concepcion from Mike's or El Coyote and thus preventing the traditional passage used by ranchers, off roaders, pot farmers, etc.

Map?

=========
Well shucks
The picture below shows all the roads I have in my GPS. I don't know where dark skies is and I have no idea where the new road might be.
On the picture Mikes is exactly at the top if the "K" on the word "Sky". Simpsons is at the cross hairs. So can somebody label the roads and missing places?
Thanks, Paul
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 06:29 PM

Here is a GE image of the roads around Mikes Sky Ranch. The lower right is the road to Dark Skies Baja and out to the Observatory road at KM68. This is the one Mike and Pam closed to off roaders.

In the lower left where it says 4.4 miles there is a bypass to the southeast that SCORE uses for the races. It's maybe a mile or so.

[Edited on 11-30-2015 by TMW]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 06:33 PM

Since you want to open this up with moral values, I suppose we can say while it was "their" land to close, the results were that by choosing to not welcome one group that could have been a whole new clientele (which was their right), they have gone out of business. :?:

Maybe it wasn't being annoyed by off-roaders but more about the fear of the pot growers?

I am bummed that we did not get up there to see or stay at the place before they closed. I had several exchanges with Mike over the years about water systems, history of the area, and more. I am sorry they chose to end the project. I love astronomy and Baja.

"gone out of business"? Where did you get that info? I believe he stated he wanted to sell so they could move on to other things...like travel for a while. The also, if you would remember correctly, closed the road off because off-roaders were tearing up his property, annoying his cattle, tearing up the fence and cutting the lock on the gate. He had given them a chance to go through if they obeyed the rules, but I guess they felt they had the freedom to do what ever they wanted.

The idea that closing the road to Off-roaders caused them to close ,must be another of your scientific observations.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 06:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Not to Highjack this thread, but isn't the Dark Skies compound on this road? What ever happened to the compound?

We may be discussing different roads?

a) Hwy. 3 to Meling is through Mike's Sky Rancho to (or near) El Coyote to Observatory road west of Meling.
b) The Simpson Ranch is west of Mike's and if passable offers a way to get to El Coyote and Meling without passing through Mike's.
c) Dark Skies Inn (Rancho Concepcion) is east of Mike's and Melings and on a road that goes east from El Coyote, past Mike's old airport and to Concepcion.
e) A newer road was made from Concepcion (Dark Skies Inn) south to the Observatory road above (east of) Meling Ranch.

Yes, Dark Skis Inn gated closed the original road used to get to Rancho Concepcion from Mike's or El Coyote and thus preventing the traditional passage used by ranchers, off roaders, pot farmers, etc.

Map?

=========
Well shucks
The picture below shows all the roads I have in my GPS. I don't know where dark skies is and I have no idea where the new road might be.
On the picture Mikes is exactly at the top if the "K" on the word "Sky". Simpsons is at the cross hairs. So can somebody label the roads and missing places?
Thanks, Paul

Big Red Arrow is Mike's Sky Rancho
Small Red Arrow is the old airport for Mike's 'Los Encinos'
Blue arrows point out Simpson's and Dark Skies Inn (labeled):

a= road between Hwy. 3 & Meling Ranch
b= bypass through Simpson's Ranch
c= Baja Dark Skies Inn (Rancho Concepcion)
e= newer road from Dark Skies Inn to Observatory Road
Old Road to Concepcion passes Los Encinos from El Coyote

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 07:00 PM

Mike told me that they were taking their telescopes on the road so to speak to various venues. They were not getting the volume of business at the ranch that they had thought they might get. It's kind of like if the people won't come to the mountain then take the mountain to the people. There are a lot of theme locations where their telescope expertise can play out and educate a lot of people interested in learning the stars etc.

I wish them the best of luck.

Anyone interested in buying the place? A beautiful location with a great infrastructure for around $500,000. US dollars and you own the property, not a lease.
Romano
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 08:04 PM

How do you know that
1) They went out of business instead of just moving on.
2) If they did indeed go "out of business" closing the road had ANYTHING to do with it?

Are you just jumping to "your" conclusions? Because if you are, I know what will happen. That is a story you will repeat and at some point it will become DK-declared "fact".

Truth is, you have no idea why they chose to sell the place and move on, right?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 08:45 PM

Millions of people all over the world have fenced their land to prevent trespass and damage. Have you noticed that in Mexico and USA very few private properties allow off roaders to transit their property? Y'all have trouble understanding why? Off roaders tear up the land, and few property owners want that.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 08:50 PM

That is a very scary situation, Ken. It happened to me once on a 4X4 run south of San Ignacio, and I can't remember the name of the road to and from. I remember starting sliding sideways in low 4X4 with all 4 locked up. I was partially on a sidehill with no way to turn around or back up. I just tightened my 5 point seatbelt and kept crawling. I remember I had the T86 transmission with the super granny low.
That was the only time I was ever scared in the Jeep.

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I drove it in my Ford Ranger, and where you drive around the boulder near the cliff, my BFG All-Terrains began to spin out, pushing me towards the edge. Nice highway ride, but dangerous on actual 4WD trails in an unlocked truck.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 11:06 PM

Lets set the record.Im up there all the time.I know Pamela/Mike,very well.They sold Dark Skies,for now they are still there.They did not lock gates to off road people.The put up gates and locked them,because they where scarred.Told me some trucks up to know good going past late at night.Also told me anytime,I wanted to take.Bikes past there gates,they would open them.When they put up locked gate ,it was not legal to do so.As no approval from the ejido. Nobody made them remove gate.Because the rancho below them,made new 4x4 road.Wants all the off road people they can get.Problem what few people ever go there.Why did they sell it too lonely up there.Next to no business. They are real good people.The new route,is one of the best rides ever.Other then Moto,a well set up jeep could make it.I dont know if I have the nerve to try it in my truck.Going down from Mikes would be more easy,then up.Its no problem for Rhinos/razors.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 11:12 PM

Romano, their website is how I know they are not in business. If you read my post you would know I don't wish them anything but a better future. As I said, I have communicated with Mike about the business. Oh, I see you're a newbie, so welcome!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 11:16 PM

I forgot to ad,the rancho below them,has great camping.Also fishing,both ranchos where owed by the Mellings.The one below are relatives of Mellings.My poor memory will think of name of Rancho.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 08:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Lets set the record.Im up there all the time.I know Pamela/Mike,very well.They sold Dark Skies,for now they are still there.They did not lock gates to off road people.The put up gates and locked them,because they where scarred.Told me some trucks up to know good going past late at night.Also told me anytime,I wanted to take.Bikes past there gates,they would open them.When they put up locked gate ,it was not legal to do so.As no approval from the ejido. Nobody made them remove gate.Because the rancho below them,made new 4x4 road.Wants all the off road people they can get.Problem what few people ever go there.Why did they sell it too lonely up there.Next to no business. They are real good people.The new route,is one of the best rides ever.Other then Moto,a well set up jeep could make it.I dont know if I have the nerve to try it in my truck.Going down from Mikes would be more easy,then up.Its no problem for Rhinos/razors.

You are so full of BS. They did not sell their property yet.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 08:45 AM

Name of Rancho La Joya.Below Pamela,west of them.If you go up paved Observatory.Turn on dirt road to Dark Skies,at Y go left Rancho La Joya.Could you guys find La Joya,post on your map.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 09:00 AM

Im full of BS.Ok marooon want to start up again.marooon they sent email to me.Two weeks ago,could I get tractor,up there to fix there road.They would like to get there horses,out of there.Its Ok to be old,not cool your marooon rants.Im full of BS.You have made a fool of yourself as always. In there email told me WE SOLD THE PLACE.Did they email me a lie ?Are you up there marooon? Any of your rants will be dealt with.:barf:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 09:10 AM

Im full of BS.Ok marooon want to start up again.marooon they sent email to me.Two weeks ago,could I get tractor,up there to fix there road.They would like to get there horses,out of there.Its Ok to be old,not cool your marooon rants.Im full of BS.You have made a fool of yourself as always. In there email told me WE SOLD THE PLACE.Did they email me a lie ?Are you up there marooon? Any of your rants will be dealt with.:barf:

He had an offer, but I don't think he has announced it is final.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 09:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

He had an offer, but I don't think he has announced it is final. All of this is fine,when you call me full of BS.Please say it to me in person. For the rest of non marooons.They said they sold it to a conservatory.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 09:27 AM

For those that question the gates.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69387#pid8461...

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 09:29 AM

For those that say they are closed and think their website is gone.

http://bajadarkskies.com/
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.