Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bahia Conception cell tower
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 02:16 PM
Bahia Conception cell tower

I rode my bike up to the construction site yesterday. The 'road' is a bit more than a mile long and leaves Rt. 1 at mile post 120. It is a new road with all that the word implies. Lots of loose rocks, puffy dust on the corners and whoop-de-doos from construction truck traffic. Four wheel drive or a motorcycle only. Low gear. There is one wire gate near the pavement and a small guard structure just past the gate (no one there).

There were perhaps 20 guys at the top working on the building. The walls were up to about chest height. Nice view. Friendly bunch. For those who want the location it's 26 deg., 48.727N. 111 deg., 54.483 W. I could see much of Bahia Conception but it didn't look like there was quite a line of sight to the Northern beaches. We'll see how it works.

Mike-Mulege
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 03:13 PM

Mike, just curious; as a ballpark placing, is that at the far south end of the Bay? If memory serves (less and less these days) Buenaventura is KM 91... or am I blowing smoke?

edit: I tried your GPS #'s on google earth, and they don't work; but doing a manual zoom to what's close to your data it looks like it's half-way between the Tiburon Microonda tower and Playa Naranjo at the northern end of the Bay.

[Edited on 11-27-2015 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 03:23 PM

I went to Google Earth, and that waypoint is on the mountain, west of Bob & Susan's Lighthouse Resort, Km. 118 (ie. north end of the bay). Km. markers go higher northbound. In this case Km. 0 is Loreto.

I would post a map... but that irritates some of you! :biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 03:47 PM

Come on Uncle Davey, we would like a map, we need a map and we fully expect a map! :biggrin:

Don't let some old curmudgeons ruin your joy in life, maps!

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 04:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Come on Uncle Davey, we would like a map, we need a map and we fully expect a map! :biggrin:

Don't let some old curmudgeons ruin your joy in life, maps!

LOL

Well, if you want to see the cell tower location, just go to Google Earth and paste this into the search box and hit enter: 26º48.727, -111º54.483

[Edited on 11-27-2015 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 04:35 PM

Hola david k.

i for one am never irritated by your map postings. i am just amazed how much and how fast you post for most of our behalves, newer and older maps.

please just ignore the irritated souls.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 04:50 PM

Sorry Uncle Dave, why would we use Google when we have you?
I know you are breaking out in a sweat and just waiting for some additional encouragement to send a map!

Come on and stop teasing us, send us the damn map! :))

George Bernard Shaw

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 05:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Sorry Uncle Dave, why would we use Google when we have you?
I know you are breaking out in a sweat and just waiting for some additional encouragement to send a map!

Come on and stop teasing us, send us the damn map! :))

HERE, HERE !!
I totally concur; it's not maps that irritate people, it's people who irritate people (especially when they make every thread about themselves). I have personally said many times that maps are what you do best; you should stick to 'em.

Palm trees? ......... meh..... :lol:

86 - 45*

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 05:27 PM

It was very apparent that Bob and everyone in the developments along the point are likely to have a great cell phone signal. The question is whether Santispac, El Burro and the others will get enough reflections to connect reliably. Who knows how tall the tower will be? We'll see.

Mike
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
It was very apparent that Bob and everyone in the developments along the point are likely to have a great cell phone signal. The question is whether Santispac, El Burro and the others will get enough reflections to connect reliably. Who knows how tall the tower will be? We'll see.

Mike

Good point, Mike. Since you were up there, you'll have a good idea of who; cells are microwave, and it's all line-of-sight. Those who are on one side of a beach against a hill won't have any, when their neighbors a few hundred meters away will... but progress marches on. Better than driving 20 miles to town when you can walk to a friend's house. Even signals in Mulegé can be spotty because of the terrain.

Lordy, how did we ever survive without it? I miss the phone booths in the store at the 4-way......... ;)

86 - 45*

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

.....I would post a map... but that irritates some of you! :biggrin:

Oh, simmer down, Davey......:biggrin: we like maps, but not when we overdose on them.....

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 08:01 PM

I have to think about now being called Uncle Davey... DK, Dave, or David has been the norm here (of the printable names allowed, lol).

When I became an uncle (in 1967 and 1968) it wasn't too many years before Uncle David became 'Uncle Baja' to my two nephews back when I was babysitting them often when I was 15-17 and busy writing my first Baja travel guides.

Here you go... yellow push pin, labeled "Cell Tower"...

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 08:23 PM

I feel so much better, these threads are nothing without your maps, thanks DK!

I can't wait to get out there and find the giant yellow stick pin, can't be that hard to locate!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 10:08 PM

AL! You made a funny!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 11:42 PM

I wonder how Bob & Susan feel about the yellow pin I put in their swimming pool!

Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2015 at 12:40 AM

Thank you David, the world is back to it's normal spin.

George Bernard Shaw

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2015 at 08:22 AM

I wonder how Bob & Susan feel about the yellow pin I put in their swimming pool!

That would be worth a photo-chop!

Either it made a hole, or plugged a leak.

Want yellow DK pin stickers for local pics of all the cool places you've shown on maps here in BN.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2015 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  

That would be worth a photo-chop!

Either it made a hole, or plugged a leak.

Want yellow DK pin stickers for local pics of all the cool places you've shown on maps here in BN.

Please explain... I will see what I can do.

BajaKeela
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 03:40 PM

The big question is ... When will the cell tower be operational? Does anybody have any idea?
Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2015 at 03:59 PM

"Manana"

George Bernard Shaw

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.