BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ID Tags for pets (& pet lovers)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 02:31 PM
ID Tags for pets (& pet lovers)

Hope everyone had a relaxing & fun Thanksgiving holiday!

I heard from many friends who travelled SOB with family for the festivities, and took their pets along. I've also read many Nomad posts about adopting/rescuing dogs in Baja, and/or helping lost pets get reunited with their owners.

All these things made me think perhaps these ID tags would be of interest, for your own pets, or for someone else as a gift idea before they head south.

https://www.tagsforhope.com/

I have no financial interest in this company, and share this as a useful and creative item, especially for those who travel and take pets along for the ride.

Losing track of a pet- even briefly- can be a frightening experience for both human & animal. I hope this type of tag will help with a more rapid reunion.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
dorado50
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 05:19 PM

Now those are some sophisticated tags! Thanks for info......
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 06:13 PM

I think that any type of identification is absolutely needed and called for. I got tags in English and Spanish from Petco for my pooch.

I do have a question. Why does the pet tag need a picture of the pet if the pet wears the tag? Inquiring minds want to know!

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2015 at 11:45 PM

I was thinking "Cute gimmick?", but then I realized, if you find just the collar/tag you can match it to a dog.

I've had tags fall off, had to replace them.-- And I've found tags and collars at parks and beaches and had no idea how to find the owner if they were still at the location. The photo would def help.

Saddest scenario: ability to positively ID remains

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2015 at 06:37 AM

I read the Lost and Found section in the Phoenix Craigslist, and it can make me cry.
If you have a retarded hyperactive family member (dog), you should really get a gps locator. Costs about 20 bucks from ebay and uses a phone Sim, about 100 pesos per month to maintain.
You call up the GPS tracker and it sends you the location.
Battery doesnt last long, maybe 9 hours, so you have to be aware that your retard is missing.
It is just heartbreaking to hear people attempting to recover lost pets.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 09:08 AM

When in Baja all my time is spent at LA Bay. My dog (Cody) wears a tag with his name, my name, my US phone number, and a statement, "I vacation at Camp Gecko". Guess I should add, "Reward!" Or better yet, "Look for big yellow truck!"
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 07:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
When in Baja all my time is spent at LA Bay. My dog (Cody) wears a tag with his name, my name, my US phone number, and a statement, "I vacation at Camp Gecko". Guess I should add, "Reward!" Or better yet, "Look for big yellow truck!"

All good info that should help with returning Cody to you.

I've ordered a tag and included some additional info re:my pup, e.g. brief notes re:her health (skin allergies/cataract), behavior (separation anxiety) & fear of dogs bigger than she is (after being attacked 2x by neighbor's pitbull).

Finally, I've added my cell and also my San Diego vet's office phone #, so if I'm not reachable, hopefully the vet's office can track me down and/or take her in until I can be reached.

Hoping all this info will help rescuers and keep her safe.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 07:13 PM
Don't forget

Several current photos of your pet from different angles, a few with you in them. Helps when/if you need to make up reward posters and proving ownership. Put the photos on a memory stick and keep the stick in your pet travel bag
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 08:10 AM

We had a tag made for our dog that has all our phone numbers and an email address.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Several current photos of your pet from different angles, a few with you in them. Helps when/if you need to make up reward posters and proving ownership. Put the photos on a memory stick and keep the stick in your pet travel bag

and "We had a tag made for our dog that has all our phone numbers and an email address."

Thanks for the great suggestions. Whether or not someone gets one of these tags, the email, photos etc. are good ideas.

FYI- "tags for hope" offers poster support: the website will generate a "Lost" poster with your info, ready to be downloaded, printed and/or emailed if needed.

And if someone goes to their website and enters the ID# on the pet's tag they will send an immediate email alert to the owner.

https://www.tagsforhope.com/lostandfound/

All this costs about $25 (or less w/holiday discount). Seems a good deal for added assistance and peace of mind in case a pup goes missing.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.