Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rick Bayless' recent trip to Baja
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 08:33 AM
Rick Bayless' recent trip to Baja

Rick's report on his latest eating and wine-tasting trip to northern Baja here.
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 12:47 PM

It would sure work a lot better if he got the names of the places right (it's La Guerrerense, not El, it's El Mazateño with a Z, and he didn't specify whether his loyal followers should go to Tacos El Fenix or Puesto Fenix in Ensenada).
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 01:12 PM

Rumour has it while in San Diego he was looking for space in Little Italy to open a restaurant.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 03:57 PM

A lot of people make fun of Rick Bayless, but at least he's shown Americans that there's more to Mexican cuisine than tacos and burritos (not that there's anything wrong with tacos and burritos).

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 04:04 PM

Yes...of course. Now we have BajaMed.....whatever that is.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 04:53 PM

You gotta give Bayless a little slack on the errors, he did say that wine tasting was on the agenda!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 05:12 PM

Bayless has for sure been one of the better historians of Mexican cuisine, but at his restaurant Red O it'll cost you 28 bucks for half a roast chicken, (plus 8 bucks for a side of rice to go with your Charro beans -- that's just pinto beans with garlic, onion and bacon, not the cuchi-cuchi girl -- and 6 bucks for one Pacifico to wash it all down).

http://www.redorestaurant.com/locations/los-angeles/menu/

I haven't been to Red O, but I'd wager that the roast chicken at Dos Hermanos in Ensenada, which goes for a small fraction of that price, is just as good if not better. Granted, the salsa at Dos Hermanos doesn't have melons in it, but that is to their credit. I guess Bayless has to pay the rent somehow.

Street taco afficionado and Mexican food expert Bill Esparza absolutely murdered Bayless' food and the attitude at Red O when the first one opened. Still a hilarious read.

http://www.streetgourmetla.com/2010/08/red-o-tinga-tu-madre-...

Esparaza also called Bayless the Michael Bolton of Mexican cooking, which made me laugh (apologies to any Michael Bolton fans out there, but you need help).

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/rick-bayless-taco-blocks...

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 05:24 PM

Book'm Dano!

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 05:37 PM

Didn't I see that episode already? Oh, that was that other guy. Seems like Guadalupe Valley is becoming a foodie destination. Won't be long before some wealthy gringos plop down some nice houses and the roads are paved, hope not cause the wines from that area are really great even though I do not drink much wine, compared to the snooty napa valley astringent, nasty crap that gives you dry mouth the LA Cetto 2012 Sirah was amazing.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 05:53 PM

Not wishing to bash Rick, but history shows that although he is from SoCal, he moved to Chicago, to avoid the SoCal competition.

Some of his food is really good. But, overall, I would give his Chicago restaurants 3 out of 5 stars. Been to both of them.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2015 at 06:48 PM

Here's the blog post in which Esparza makes the Michael Bolton reference. First-rate takedown.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2012/06/rick_bayles...

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 11:31 AM

I find it hysterical that the only places he has "exposed" in northern Baja have been those that Bill and I have written about. Ey güey, a consulting fee wouldn't go amiss, hahaha.
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2015 at 09:58 AM

Some years ago five of us did the Rick Bayless taco crawl in Tijuana. We had to modify it because the taquerías are widely scattered. We did it in taxis and walking. We included El Mazateño (a taxi up the hill and walking down) and La Ermita (a very long taxi ride), We added Kokopelli, which was then located in the Food Garden on Sánchez Taboada. It had started with a food truck on Ocampo and Agua Caliente. Kokopelli now has a brick and mortar location half a block off Sánchez Taboada. Take the old route to Rosarito using Paseo de los Héroes. Turn right a block before the 2nd roundabout on Antonio Caso, cross Sánchez Taboada, and it's on the right just past the construction.

Thanks for the link to Bill Esparza. It's a blistering put down that I can agree with. Bayless relies on local "informants" and does a quick run through. I don't know the LA and OC food scene, but have experience in TJ. I've watched some excellent modest restaurants in Tijuana with regional cooking that sadly have gone out of business, including Aquí es Oaxaca, Real del Potosí, La Mansión del Quetzal, and La Lagartija. I would hate to see Kokopelli go out of business. Give it a try. They serve some craft beers now in bottles.

--Jerry S.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-2-2015 at 10:11 AM

And he misses a lot of the great small local places
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2015 at 02:28 PM

Now I remember, it was Anthony Bourdain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzZH6096Awg
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-2-2015 at 03:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
Here's the blog post in which Esparza makes the Michael Bolton reference. First-rate takedown.
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2012/06/rick_bayles...

Poor Rick....sure gets slapped around in that article :o

I enjoy his tv stuff if only for the reminders of Oaxaca....I get all semimental watching that stuff....

Don't believe everything you think....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.