Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Ensenada By pass road
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 03:43 PM

Hwy 5 from San Felipe south to the jct with hwy 1 will get pounded to pieces with the truck traffic and I wonder how the people of the Hwy 5 corridor through San Felipe and the south campos will like all of those trucks
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 04:58 PM

David - Just take a close look at the "new" pavement south of Puertecitos. It is starting to check and crack and potholes (although still small) are starting to form. There are sections of curbing/gutters that have failed/caved in, there are sections of some bridge embankment concrete that has started to collapse and road cuts are almost vertical causing rockslides (all standard for "better engineered" road construction - Just look and drive the scenic highway between El Mirador and San Miguel if you need an ezample of "better engineered"). The unregulated weight of commercial trucks and the cheapout construction methods will turn that "new" section of highway into a mess within 5 years............and again, the added truck traffic through town and the south campos before the "sulphur mine" road is built will be a big bonus.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Hwy 5 from San Felipe south to the jct with hwy 1 will get pounded to pieces with the truck traffic and I wonder how the people of the Hwy 5 corridor through San Felipe and the south campos will like all of those trucks

Only south to Puertecitos may get pounded to pieces as that is old road construction. Puertecitos on south to Hwy. 1 is new, wide and better-engineered highway... the same as the new Hwy. 1 south of Maneadero.

The new highway 5 from the entrance to San Felipe to Puertcitos has already been discussed... it will be inland, nearer the sulfur mine, like the old road was... It is just a matter of how long will they wait to build it? That is when the dippy road along the South Campos will get really worn out!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 05:22 PM

bajaguy, you live there, so you do know that this is Mexico! There is no better road in Baja than these newest, with bike path size shouldered highways now being built down there.

To be fair, roads in the USA also wash out during storms. I just heard on the radio that a fire truck fell into a sinkhole in Poway!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 05:27 PM

You are correct. I do live here and I do watch them build roads. I wouldn't have them build me a driveway. Just because it looks good doesn't mean it is good.....just keep watching the area between San Miguel and El Mirador

bajaguy, you live there, so you do know that this is Mexico! There is no better road in Baja than these newest, with bike path size shouldered highways now being built down there.

To be fair, roads in the USA also wash out during storms. I just heard on the radio that a fire truck fell into a sinkhole in Poway!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
You are correct. I do live here and I do watch them build roads. I wouldn't have them build me a driveway. Just because it looks good doesn't mean it is good.....just keep watching the area between San Miguel and El Mirador

:light::lol::smug:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I would rather drive a couple extra miles on a 4 lane curvy road than cross any city and deal with traffic, if given a choice. It is a min. of 1/2 an hour of the trip just to get across Ensenada!

But, that's just me... a country boy! LOL:cool:

The drive thru Ensenada ain't bad. It seems to go pretty quick. I always need to shop when heading south, so is practical to drive thru town.
Aren't nomads all retirees and vacationers? What's your hurry?

On a GOOD day the drive from Punta Banda to the first toll gate is 30 minutes but on all other days it's an hour.

Exactly... and because of that, the mountains around Santo Tomás, and the farm town traffic through San Quintin, expect Hwy. 5 to become the more popular corridor to L.A. Bay and south to Cabo San Lucas once it is completed. The old dip-filled highway between San Felipe and Puertecitos will be in a big need of an upgrade to match the new style highways north and south of that 50-mile section.

More popular with whom? For those of us in Coastal California, it makes no sense to spend the extra drive time and miles to get over to Highway 5. Net loss.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 07:25 PM

I just heard on the radio that a fire truck fell into a sinkhole in Poway!

check your sources, Ace!:lol:
https://twitter.com/sdbrichards/status/686711368125304832/ph...

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 07:39 PM

give David a break....its not often he gets down that far. Yes the new section of 5 is showing some wear on the northern parts.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 08:32 PM

Hey there Ace, did you read me when I said I "heard it on the radio" and they said "a fire truck fell into a sinkhole"... maybe a little exaggerated, but that's what the do to get you to stay tuned.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 05:50 PM

perhaps you should listen to a different station, one that spouts facts?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 05:56 PM

There is no better road in Baja than these newest, with bike path size shouldered highways now being built down there.

Quote:

Problem is...the wider the bike path, the bigger the truck using it for a passing lane.

[Edited on 1-13-2016 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 06:31 PM

How True Dennis. SAme on the road to Tecate.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
perhaps you should listen to a different station, one that spouts facts?

How would one catch Rush if he listened to something fact based?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 06:35 PM

initially the by-pass road was to help with truck traffic and an anticipated port in Colonet. Now that 5 is most completed is there a pressing need for this road.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 06:47 PM

there is. more roads can't be a bad thing....

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 07:02 PM
Break Down Lane

In most States the lane to the right of the solid white line is considered a break down lane and you will get a ticket for driving in it
As a retired Ironworker and having experience working on many free ways in Ca. and other places. the requirements for constructing the Break Down Lane is considerably less than the main roadbed and will not support sustained usage.
Of course this esssss Mexico and if its wide enough a 18 wheeler may attempt to pass you on it.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I would rather drive a couple extra miles on a 4 lane curvy road than cross any city and deal with traffic, if given a choice. It is a min. of 1/2 an hour of the trip just to get across Ensenada!

But, that's just me... a country boy! LOL:cool:

The drive thru Ensenada ain't bad. It seems to go pretty quick. I always need to shop when heading south, so is practical to drive thru town.
Aren't nomads all retirees and vacationers? What's your hurry?

On a GOOD day the drive from Punta Banda to the first toll gate is 30 minutes but on all other days it's an hour.

Exactly... and because of that, the mountains around Santo Tomás, and the farm town traffic through San Quintin, expect Hwy. 5 to become the more popular corridor to L.A. Bay and south to Cabo San Lucas once it is completed. The old dip-filled highway between San Felipe and Puertecitos will be in a big need of an upgrade to match the new style highways north and south of that 50-mile section.

More popular with whom? For those of us in Coastal California, it makes no sense to spend the extra drive time and miles to get over to Highway 5. Net loss.

Leaving San Diego I can get to the Hwy 1/Chapala Jct faster using Hwy 5 than using Hwy 1.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 08:59 PM

Just drove from southern California to Loreto two days ago using the"back way" through San Felipe. A much more relaxing drive overall. Got through the dirt section in under an hour. Total mileage and driving time are almost the same as using hwy 1,but way more enjoyable, plus you get to see some different scenery.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 02:09 PM

fb reporting ensenada bypass 3 to 3 is completed, anyone drove it?

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 03:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
fb reporting ensenada bypass 3 to 3 is completed, anyone drove it?

Link please?

The Baja 1000 in November was using it for the start and finish of the race.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.