BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TJ airport walkway and new info site/ride board.
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 05:49 PM
TJ airport walkway and new info site/ride board.

The walkway from TJ airport to the USA is opening this week. For those not following this, this will allow us to walk over to TJ airport and fly to much Mexico and South America and walk right into the USA on the return. This will save probably an hour of our time each way, and be a much more reliable way of being on time for our departures.

They state the first week is free. It also now states it will cost $18.00 each way after the first week. children and over 65 a discount. There is parking and rentals that will be available on the USA side it claims in the newest article.

I have started a new forum to post information on the how to’s including todays news articles..
BorderRideBoard

I have the recent news items posted there. Please post information or email me when you learn things there for others.

Part of my goal of this site is to be able to rideshare effectively. Taxi even Uber is a bit expensive for a single person so if people post as they get to the airport hopefully they can match-up with a co-rider to different areas effectively. Or find someone to share the ride from SD airport, Oceanside LA to the border a month before departing.

[Edited on 12-8-2015 by laventana]

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 06:05 PM

Can you explain this in more detail?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-7-2015 at 06:20 PM
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 06:38 PM

sure, which part, the new site for the information about the crossing and rideshare, or about the crossing itself and its major benefits?

It really is going to be a great way for many of us who use TJ airport already. And obviously for others. I fly from LaPaz to TJ a few times a year. It is always a major headache and time consumer. As I mentioned this will save me probably 1 hour or more in time each way beacuse the walkway goes right from the TJ airport across into the USA.

It will have US customs and immigration right in the walkway US building. They are being paid by the company that built the walkway, so I am confident they will have adequate staffing to keep the lines to a reasonable level. Only people with ticketss can use the walkway. But you can enter from what I have read up to 24 hours before your flight.

You can be dropped off at the walkway US side if you have a ticket and walk right over to your airline at the TJ terminal. You can buy your walkway tickets online starting soon.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 07:26 PM

Is there safe parking? How much. How long is the walk (excluding border check point time).

This is awesome news. We are flying TIJ to HMO in a couple weeks.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/08/toll-cr...

laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 09:40 PM

the parking is reported to be $10.00 a day. It is a 24 hour operation, so guessing it will be well lit and with parking attendants..

please give me an update so I can post it on the website I am trying to get going with info.

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 09:55 PM

Does anyone know if there is public transportation from the walkway to the San Diego airport for connection flights?

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 10:12 PM

I have speculated there is not yet, but in time there has to be. The shuttles should catch on quickly. This is also why I am doing the website, so that people can post on the appropriate section to share a Uber or taxi together for now and some people do not like public transportation.

Case one you know when your flight is arriving at SD airport, you post a share a ride request in advance. and you co-ordinate with the people in advance. Say with Uber. Uber is pricy if just taking it yourself. Or you post as you arrive at SD airport that you want to share a ride and find someone right then.

Same scenario with flying into TJ airport, you can try in advance or as you are heading to customs. Just post on this site for immediate ride and meet the person outside as you clear customs and share the ride to SD airport, Oceanside, downtown, LA. You post the share on the appropriate destination. Use a taxi or Uber. The person may even have a car parked there.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 11:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
Does anyone know if there is public transportation from the walkway to the San Diego airport for connection flights?

Uber would be pretty cheap.
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 11:59 PM

though it is relative, I found Uber to be a bit pricy to get to Oceanside last time I checked about 3 months ago when I was flying through.

I have found that there are already shuttles ready to start as of day one. I listed it on the website. they will be waiting at the airport so that will be real easy. And obviously at the walkway. Just those two locations.

So still has a need for Uber IMHO and as I suggest ridesharing with people. If I can split it to Oceanside and not have to wait an hour or two I would take Uber without a doubt.

laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 12:03 AM

oh the short term parking if "validated" for up to 2 hours is free. Short term parking is $2.00 an hour max $16.00. Long term is $10.00 and they claim is safe secure fenced and person on the premises at all times.

you can print your boarding pass on the US side if departing. You must have passport and boarding pass and paid fee. The fee can be paid online or at a self service kiosk.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 08:16 AM

Thanks Frank!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 08:26 AM

Here's the official website for the CBX. There is an FAQ section that will answer most questions:

http://crossborderxpress.com/

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
I would expect that someone like Volaris airlines that already runs a shuttle from SD will start a drop off service at the new walkway. Have no fear though, many will start servicing the patrons at the bridge soon enough when it becomes profitable. There is already taxi service in the Otay border area on the US side.

My experience of flying out of TJ at all hours (especially the 12am - 5am time slot when it is packed!) would point towards a lot of the Mexicans living in SD using the new access. We find very few gringo's in the airport at those late night hours and we converse with a lot of Mexicans from the US during that time.

Laventana...thanks for your efforts. It will be February before we get to walk the 310 foot bridge.

I probably should post this on your new forum; we often use Delta truck parking for storing our car and ride to the border when we leave but for a few dollars a day more we may just start leaving the car at the new facility for the bridge. Also there is some indication of a several hundred room hotel being built on the site of the bridge in the future.

Wonder how long it will take someone to print up fake airlines tickets and sell them to people on the south side during the times of long lines at Otay.
Oh man...forget my new airport transport service, I gotta stock up on ink!

Volaris I am confident will remove their Santa Fe to TJ airport that they tell you to be there 4 hours before departure because you had to exit the bus and bus x-rayed and all people had to get stuff done at the crossing before reboarding. It was awful. I am confident they will do the Santa Fe to the walkway now. Which I will certainly do, before it was but from Oceanside I have to take the train which is very dependable with internet then take the bus. I personally want to do the Uber from Oceanside if not rush hour and split the cost to save me another hour. If rush hour will take the train and probably Volaris bus.

Now there are about 6 other bus lines at the TJ airport that can get you anywhere from Texas, AZ, Vegas, Sacramento, Fresno, LA, Portland, Seattle UT, and so on that also should be moving their pick ups to this location too. Well I hope.

There is a problem with Delta parking right now from what I was told and their site also had nothing when I went there last.. They may have lost their business permit for car parking temporarily... If someone has used them recently can update us. I sent someone there a week or two ago and they told me they were told this. I am sure they or other long term parking will work their way into the process. Again this is also why I am doing the site so there is just one place to go for info. As we know if you go to the official site they will not have parking solutions except theirs.

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 10:12 AM

laventana - your ride share idea is great especially as far as Uber is concerned. A friend of ours from San Diego who was visiting last summer decided to try to get an Uber ride for his return trip back to the States (flying La Paz - TJ on Volaris). When he crossed the border at OtayMesa and got back to the States, he found that there were no Uber drivers who wanted to come and pick him up at the border, so he ended up taking a taxi. If there are co-riders it might be more attractive to Uber drivers - also if the drop-off and pick-up locations at the border are easy to get to.

Looking forward to using the new walkway on a future trip. Until now flying into TJ from La Paz on Volaris and crossing the border has been such a hassle that, on a couple of occasions, I've opted to take the EcoBajaTours shuttle from La Paz to Los Cabos and fly direct Los Cabos - San Diego. Now if Volaris would just make their website less frustrating....things would be really great.
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 11:22 AM

I look at the Volaris webisite as playing a video game... Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

I have to say being a Vclub member and being able to fly off times as well as plan/guess six months in advance. I fly to lapaz -TJ for $40.00 each way a lot.

But sometimes I do not enjoy being put in the luggage hold for that price it gets cold down there..... :lol:

laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 10:35 PM

well it opened for business today... all went well from the limited reports I read.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by laventana  
I look at the Volaris webisite as playing a video game... Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

I have to say being a Vclub member and being able to fly off times as well as plan/guess six months in advance. I fly to lapaz -TJ for $40.00 each way a lot.

But sometimes I do not enjoy being put in the luggage hold for that price it gets cold down there..... :lol:

Damn that is cheap.
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 06:12 AM

just bought ticket last week for travel in January for $35.00 each way LaPaz to TJ. You have to be a member of their V-club, and subscibe to the email notices. You generally have one day to book the flights when they send the notice. And some are for the next month or as far away as 5-9 months.

Also a note there has been a change in a car rental company in Mexico. Fox, now includes basic liability in the car rental fee (at least in cabo and TJ). You can upgrade to the max. A friend just rented a car from them in Cabo last week and he was shocked they did not pressure him as he arrived. So he quadrupled his time he was renting the car. And the rates are very reasonable also.

So I just booked a car rental at TJ airport for $7.00 a day that includes liability insurance. Then I needed the USA insurance to take the car from mexico to USA and that was only $8.00 a day. Whereas the insurance in the USA was about $15.00 a day if I rented from a car rental in the USA which is a pain to get to.
My cdw from my card works at both USA and Mexico.

[Edited on 12-20-2015 by laventana]

laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2016 at 09:14 PM

they added 500 more spaces to the 700 and will be adding another 500 before thanksgiving.

http://www.10news.com/news/cross-border-xpress-gaining-popul...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.