Pages:  1    3  ..  10
Author: Subject: UPDATED INFO: Baja Big Loop Rally - November 23, 2016
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

eureka.gif posted on 12-10-2015 at 11:59 AM
UPDATED INFO: Baja Big Loop Rally - November 23, 2016

*** UPDATE *** November 23rd START

Some recent threads have focussed on back-roading in the general area of Mulege-San Juanico-Commondu-La Purisima- Mulege by 2 and 4 wheels (with some "Yay comments from mule riders :cool:).

I want to suggest that interested folks have about a year to plan how we might organize a BN rally of sorts for interested Nomads to converge in Mulege for an event that should take about 4-7 days (if done properly) to travel that loop (of course it will take longer by mule....:saint: ).

Here is the concept:

Day One: Leave Mulege and head to San Juanico via San Raymundo wash....overnight in SJ;

Day Two: San Juanico to Comondu and overnight there; OR San Juanico to La Purisima to Comondu.....

Day Three: Comondu to La Purisima/San Isidro and north to Mulege....OR....Comondu to San Javier to Loreto and overnight in Loreto;

Day Four:
Loreto up to San Nicolas and back to Mulege for Fiesta Grande.

Something like that with a few options.....

I am suggesting early January, 2017......

This is not a race, but just some dirt-loving adventurous Nomads finally hooking up for some adventure fun.....

Just Sayin.....:light:

[Edited on 10-21-2016 by motoged]

[Edited on 10-25-2016 by motoged]

[Edited on 10-25-2016 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 12:02 PM

Nothing wrong there ... :):)
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 01:31 PM

In. jeep if wife friendly trip. Bike if all guys trip
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 01:43 PM

Nomads,
This is a simmering plan. We might have a flurry of interest at first blush....and then it may simmer down or fall flat on its burro.

What I know is that I will be in Baja from December 2016 until April 2017 and will have my pickup and a dirt bike (450 more likely than 690 for the rougher stuff).

I am available for such a ride most of December/16 until late January/17....at which time I am committed to helping a friend out for Feb/March/17.....

If we end up with a half-dozen folks committed to such a loop, cool.

If we get more, then some logistics become more of an issue (rooms would be the main one....but camping is likely to be an option for most overnights).....

If I am the only one doing it......I will write a ride report :biggrin:

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 02:23 PM
good concept motoged

Due to the fact that many threads, and it's impossible to figure a pattern to it, get hijacked far from the original postings, I'd offer an idea that you have those who are interested it the trip, and maybe offer suggestions, communicate via email. That way there is considerable more chance that the focus stays on the trip.

We, interested, could u2u our email information to you. I believe it would be easier to send out periodic emails then to get tangled up in this or any forum.

We have an off-road worthy Tacoma.

John M
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 02:29 PM

Awesome. I'll follow this thread.
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 02:33 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun. I have a RZR 1000 4 seater. May be I can get Russ to go and my neighbors the Kelleys from chivato/Big Pine. No black top? Well a little??:bounce::bounce:
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-10-2015 at 03:10 PM
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 03:29 PM

I''m there. A year away, should build some interest. Suggest Aqua Verde gets added in the mix. Keep it here, not emails, that would be really confusing. If it gets jacked, someone post a map and we will be right back on topic T in C.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 03:55 PM

October or November is my favored time frame for a Baja run, but I like the idea of joining a group run, even if it means a second trip (Oh darn it!). \

For me, it would need to be a dog friendly group, and I don't see myself getting a dirt bike with a side car for her, so it would need to be do-able on all fours!

Here's hoping this thread stays ON TOPIC!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
I''m there. A year away, should build some interest. Suggest Aqua Verde gets added in the mix. Keep it here, not emails, that would be really confusing. If it gets jacked, someone post a map and we will be right back on topic T in C.

Those are all routes that I have done and doing them again all in one jaunt would be great fun. Could be either bike or 4wd depending on whether Kathy wants to go which she probably would. Agua Verde would be a great addition, there are plenty of good camping spots.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 04:09 PM

I'm in...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 05:22 PM

If this is not a m/c only run... and like John M, I have the same vehicle as he does, I would love to go.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 05:37 PM

If the powers-that-be would like, I can build a Google Map of the course - sort of like what I've done for Baja races for our team. Very helpful for pre-recon. Once you have the loop set, I can embed into Google Map and also make it into a downloadable link for your Lowrance or Garmin or Whatever GPS.

Let me know if you're ready to break away from paper.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 05:52 PM

Folks,
Yes the thread will get jacked.....some maps might be helpful later.

I am great at organizing such events but hate it as it is like herding retarded cats (no offense made to cats.... :biggrin: ) as there are so many details to micro-manage....and I end up feeling peessy at the end of a ride I have organized (I see a therapist for PRSD [Post Ride Stress Disorder] ).

I tend to think that e-mails will be a better method as this thing gets legs so as to manage the number of participants and route info, etc....but that is months away.

I don't care how many dogs come along, what vehicle you have, and will NOT take any responsibility for organizing vehicle rescues, etc.

I expect people to be self-reliant and have a buddy to depend on if things go sideways on the trail. I am not interested in a Rip To The Tip attitude....but like the idea of folks plunking along at their own pace and bailing out of the trip whenever they bloody well want to...no issues and no b-tchin

No money is involved....people make all their own arrangements for food, gas, lodging.

Simple .

DT....could you carry my tent, extra gas, and make room reservations????? :lol::lol::lol:

Stuck....thanks for the offer....it will be a while before we need that, but my proposed itinerary will offer some options for different levels of interest/challenge, etc.....and some GPS intel would be helpful....as the routes get determined by interest and storm damage, we will know what is "do-able".
DK....Of course you are welcome....your taco needs some fun....we won't have a problem with one another as long as we don't talk politics....which will be one of the trip rules :coolup:

More as things develop....

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 07:01 PM

DK....Cool....you have now just used up all your "political talk time" :cool:
let's not go sideways here....:biggrin:

This is about a ride/drive through Baja

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by motoged]

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 07:18 PM

I'm in as a cost sharing passenger. I'm a great camp cook!
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 07:25 PM

I would look carefully at that Comondu to San Javier link. The last time I was there it was pretty marginal and there's been one hurricane and a rain event since then.

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by Gulliver]

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by Gulliver]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
I would look carefully at that Comondu to San Javier link. The last time I was there it was pretty marginal and there's been one hurricane and a rain event since then.

Bad Roads Bring Good People! :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 10:22 AM

I'm interested. Haven't met anyone here before, but would like to join in. Would be on a bike - Honda CRL250L - and would hope for not cold weather.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 02:11 PM

Big Loopers,
I will slowly collect e-mail addresses and U2U's over time so as to keep a loose and tentative list of folks that are showing an interest....and will use them as needed way down the line as/if this idea gets legs.

I trust that we have some time to ponder it, get excited, change our minds and plans.....and will likely end up with a group by next fall who are committed to the "rally".

As this thread will likely die down before too long....it will get resurrected as time goes on here w/ updates, etc.

Folks offering techno help (GPS/maps)....thanks for your offers....keep your intel stashed somewhere for distribution later.

It will be nice to meet some Nomads....so far I have only met DT Bushpilot and WillyAirstream....and MulegeAl (who hasn't been on this thread yet, but has been on the other Mulege-San Juanico thread).

Ride what ya brung....enjoy the trip:

Pages:  1    3  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.