Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  10
Author: Subject: UPDATED INFO: Baja Big Loop Rally - November 23, 2016
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
Thanks for the input. Have you tested the "I'm O.K." function? That's the main reason I'm looking at it. I have seen some complaints on line about messages not getting through all of the time.

I have the 1st Gen Spot and use it constantly to let Kathy and my daughter know where I am since like you I am mostly riding by myself. The "check-in/OK" messages ease their concerns. I have not had one fail to go through as long as the Spot has a good view of open sky. I have never had to use the "need help" or 911 function but know those who have with good result.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 04:39 PM

When I send an "I'm OK" SPOT message, here's what the email and text recipients see. The bottom text (newest one) is the same as the email. The wordage in the email and text are mine. Gen 3.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 04:47 PM

Thanks,

So it seems to be fairly reliable? Not too many lost messages?
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 05:30 PM

My experience is that it's usually reliable, but every so often it misses a message. Not 100%.

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 05:35 PM

That sounds better than riding too fast to get home so as not to worry Barbara. I seldom if ever get in any sort of difficulty. Old age brings prudence. But I have found myself distracted by running late on my flight plan and taking a few chances that I really shouldn't be taking. Pushing a button to ease concerns might be worth the expense.

I see one on Amazon for $120 and $100 a year for the basic plan. Now to get the stinking thing down here. I'll find someone headed this way.
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
Thanks for the input. Have you tested the "I'm O.K." function? That's the main reason I'm looking at it. I have seen some complaints on line about messages not getting through all of the time.

I don't want to derail the thread so check your U2U.
fishmugger

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 05:55 PM

Sounds great but who knows where I'll be in 2017 . Why wait so long. There are better months for riding but Ill go with the flow. Have rzr 1000 and KTM 525 and 4x4 lance camper. Toughs decision depending if camping or hoteling it. Retired ff EMT so can usually tell you if you will live or die in a major spill . As long as bones aren't sticking out can usually get you patched up and on your way. Done a lot of these roads but was years ago. Worked for chase team on trophy trucks and pe raced a lot of them . Things change fast down theere so can never count on anything from year to year. Always looking for new adventure and friends.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishmugger  
Sounds great but who knows where I'll be in 2017 . Why wait so long. ....

FM,
I put this idea out for a year from now as I won't be in Baja until December/16....and would like to ride those roads again with like-minded folks.

Nothing stopping anybody from doing it whenever they want....I usually don't need a "caravan" to get to or enjoy Baja :lol: but put the idea out there as a suggestion.

Don't believe everything you think....
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 07:24 PM

Besides, it will stir up sorts of road reports. Always needed.
SC2BAJA

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 10:21 PM

I wanna join the rally or offer support. I can sleep a handful of people at my house in San Juanico and possibly a few other houses if needed. Or offer pit support or arrange a meal if I can't make the full rally. Will do a few day rides in the area in 2016 and keep notes on the roads. Would love to meet some nomads and share in an epic adventure!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 11:10 PM

What a super kind offer... Welcome to Baja Nomad, as well!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 11:15 PM

SC2....

Way cool :cool::cool::cool:

I have you on the list as ...your offers are appreciated...bed space is key...and a comida can be arranged over the next year.:saint:

We will all get a chance to put a face and personality to some more Nomads...part of the spirit I had in mind.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2015 at 01:37 PM

Nomads,
Some folks interested in this "rally" have forwarded me e-mail addresses by U2U and I am developing an e-mail grouping that I will use over the next year to keep folks up to date and "organizized".

Those who have not done so may want to be added to this e-mail list.

Some recent thinking: Some folks will be more interested in some sections than others....no problem... :

- Day One looks like a Mulege to San Juanico section....folks could return to Mulege the next day the same route....or continue to La Purisima on Day Two and head to Hwy ! from there....back to Mulege or southwards to wherever....

As a tentative offer of hospitality has been put forth by a San Juanican....we might be able to organize a group dinner there....
As well, the tentative offer might allow us to pre-arrange sleeping accommodations for those who don't want to camp....

Such dinner and sleeping arrangements would have a cost determined by the "providers".....This event is a "freebie", but any food/accommodation costs are up to each participant to settle....

If folks have not ever been to La Purisima or Los Commondus....ya gotta go as they are very special locations that most Nomads never see...

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2015 at 07:11 PM

I am one of several resident off road riders and drivers in Mulege. We will be watching as this develops and will certainly help anyone find resources either mechanical or personal.

This applies the rest of the year as well for me. I am here from the first of November through the end of April and can be contacted at my email address, mike at southlopez dot net or at one of my two phone numbers, two oh six, four nine seven, zero two six one is a magic jack number that that rings into the house here and has voice mail. One five three, zero five two three is the local number.

I'm not a tour guide, per se, or the U.S. consulate representative though I can put you in touch with him. I do like to help though.

Mike Colyar
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 12-17-2015 at 08:28 AM

Thanks mike. Awesome offer.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 04:40 PM

Well folks....time is nigh....

I will be in the Mulege area from November 14 - 28th and am wanting to see if any folks are still interested in a 3-5 day loop out of Mulege as discussed above.

No detailed plans and don't want to get into too many trip logistics...maybe a half dozen bikes/ vehicles max....accommodations will be the issue if we stay in La Purisma or Comondu...

I just want to ride with a few like-minded folks for several days....done much of that loop previously and want a repeat...

I have U2'd some folks previously stating their interest....:cool:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 04:49 PM

Oh boy, goody!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 05:13 PM

I see your biggest obstacle as being able to find a few "like minded folks". I know I'm not like minded but can I tag along anyway?

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 05:59 PM

I am sure a few local moto riders would be interested. Also we can get a couple of race cars to set the pace for ya jajaja Stop in when hit Mulege.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 08:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
I see your biggest obstacle as being able to find a few "like minded folks". I know I'm not like minded but can I tag along anyway?

David, you know I hope you will ride with me again....I promise to speak slower and not use words with more than three syllables...:cool:

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.