[*] posted on 11-17-2016 at 07:23 PM

Ged, for the love of everything holy, go slow on the silt!:light:

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-18-2016 at 12:29 PM
I didn't die (yet)

It is California crud, not Alaskan, and so far not pneumonia! It just got me thinking what would happen if it got worse.

I may not make the meeting, but I will try.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-18-2016 at 01:22 PM

What would happen if you were in Baja Sur?

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
It is California crud, not Alaskan, and so far not pneumonia! It just got me thinking what would happen if it got worse.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-18-2016 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

Having a Margarita with me looking at maps or doing the usual Baja talk...:lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-18-2016 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

I talked it over with my dog, and she thinks a warm, dessert environment would be good for me. I am making the trip, but there are lots of miles to cover, and short days, so I will be just driving eating and sleeping for the next three days.

If I don't make it in time for the meeting, you will have to drink the Margarita for me!

Having a Margarita with me looking at maps or doing the usual Baja talk...:lol:

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2016 at 12:16 PM

Nov 19th update

As I take a closer look at the calendar, I need to correct the dates:

Riders meeting at EL Candil (Scotty's) is at 5:00 on Wednesday,
Nov. 23rd

Thursday, Nov 24th....ride starts 9:00 ish at Pemex south of town

A few folks who earlier expressed interest have made other plans, but it looks like we still have several intending to attend....

Some are still on the road ...

mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2016 at 01:49 PM

Would have liked to join the group but will have to be satisfied with reading the trip report, maybe next time.

Especially interested in the La Purisima to Comondu and the Guajademi stretches if you end up going that way. Also curious about the road conditions on the route north out of SJ Comondu via Picacho.

You guys have a great trip!

Bruce
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2016 at 08:17 PM

I have been enjoying the company of Nomad Kurt G here at the Hacienda the past few days....a friend of his was just on the San Javier-Comondu road in a jeep and discouraged Kurt taking his 4X4 Ranger due to clearance issues...Richard (W-airsream) had said that "they pushed a blade through there for a race 4-6 weeks ago"...

We will see....I hope.

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 11-20-2016 at 06:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
I have been enjoying the company of Nomad Kurt G here at the Hacienda the past few days....a friend of his was just on the San Javier-Comondu road in a jeep and discouraged Kurt taking his 4X4 Ranger due to clearance issues...Richard (W-airsream) had said that "they pushed a blade through there for a race 4-6 weeks ago"...

We will see....I hope.

I'm driving an Explorer and although it has 16" tires clearance is not as good as many other 4x4's so I have to use a lot of caution. We use it in some rough areas but always so far know when to turn around. My common sense seems to have evolved with age.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-21-2016 at 01:34 PM
I didn't plan on rain!

I reached the pass from Gonzaga over to Chapala, and had to use my wipers! Rather that turn back to go get my rain gear, I took a side trip to B.O.L.A to get some.

Anybody have directions to the Walmart? No...how about a Starbucks, the Instant coffee I was served today didn't work!

I plan to make the meeting!

[Edited on 11-21-2016 by AKgringo]

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2016 at 05:37 PM

No rain here but mostly overcast and muggy.....went for a ride and it was nice not to have the sun turned up to 11.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2016 at 10:28 PM

Wednesday rider meeting at El Candil (Scotty's) will be held in the back courtyard at 5;00 pm and will likely entail food, beverages, and lotsa talk.

The weather forecast is for sunny days with a bit of cloud cover....

We will decide where we are going...but the plan is for Mulege to San Juanico first day, Comondu/La Purisima second day, and back to Mulege Third day from La Purisima..."Guajdeme" route apparently is impassable due to rock slides that a loca Melgeno biker says is too hard for bikes unless you wantto ride over basketballs and bigger here and there.

It's a relaxed adventure with the most challenging stuff likely from Mulege to San Juanico....varying double-track ....

See ya then....

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 02:16 AM

Say Hello to Zulema for me....NO TOUCHING!

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 08:00 AM

Have a great ride gentlemen...and I use that term rather loosely!:o

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 01:46 PM

Alas, my wife won't let me go at this time. It's a bit unfortunate, because I've been looking forward to this route and I have the bike ready to go at our house. Next time. Have fun!
o3dave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 02:46 PM

Sorry to hear that BBR. I will be coming up from Los Barriles if any one is on the fence. I can haul 2 more bikes in my trailer. U2U me and I will be happy to talk dirt bike all the way or not!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 08:48 PM

Well, we have three intrepid adventurers...AKgringo (Gary) with his dog, Bailey and is in a Kia Sportage, Dave 03 (David) on a Husqvarna 500, and your's truly on a KTM 450.

We all seem to have a general understanding of Day One Mulege to San Juanico, Day Two San Juanico to Los Comondu and then La Purisma, and Day Three La Purisma east to Hwy 1 just south of Bahia Concepcion.

The plan is ride for fun to each day's destination, find rooms, and talk about the day over the usual refreshments.

Hopefully you won't hear from us until Sunday....:coolup:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 08:51 PM

Enjoy the ride back in time!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 11:35 AM

We nailed it !!!

Three days of some very challenging long stretches of boulder arroyos, over a dozen wet crossings up to three feet deep, lots of soft sand, washouts that could wreck a trip, and everything in between provided three solid days of adventure.

AKGringo (Gary) came down from Grass Valley, Ca. with his beautiful, well-mannered, rambunctious pit bull/boxer (Bailey) in their Kia Sportage, and 03David came up from Los Barriles with his bike (500 Husqvarna) were excellent travel mates each very capable in their abilities and spirit.

Day One was west out of Mulege....the first half of that day presented some challenges and great canyon/mountain scenery...the second half was endless miles of rocky riverbed track usually visible with lots of wet crossings with intermittent soft sand and occasional short stretches of hardpack road...and managed to find accomodation in San Juanico, but Gary camped on the beach as all three places with rooms would not allow dogs....

Day Two was down to Comondu...easy paved day hat was short in duration....the new hotel Hacienda Don Mario would/could not offer us rooms ("but if you wait until after 6:00 pm we might give you a room if the reservations don't arrive")...as it was 2:30, we could take the risk that rooms were available in La Purisma an hour or so away....and as the conversation continued, the guy said he could find rooms in two other casas but couldn't promise that....a half-hour wait resulted in confirming that offer which we accepted after I pressed for a guarantee handshake.....and what we got was an annex of sorts to the church that had three separate rooms with defunct bathroom and kitchen....and reeked horribly of a kerosene type smelling liquid they mopped the floors with (insecticide?)...handmade cots of palm wood and dried stretched leather strips....we ate at the Don Mario....very simple but good chicken soup, beans, tortillas for supper and huevos revuelltos con machaca for breakfast....

Day Three was north to San Isidro/La Purisma for a lookabout and I snapped a few pics of the mission site in LP for DK (will post later) and then out to highway #1 and up to Mulege. Road from San Isidro to highway junction had a lot of washout ravines in road and rocks, ledges and abrupt dips....shorter than the duration of Day One conditions, but its own harder surface irregularities.

Summary: Day One was the difficult day compared to the other two; I have respect for Gary taking his Kia through there at the pace that Dave and I on bikes were impressed with...Bailey was the silent hero of the trip and a cool dog (looked fierce but was muy amable) ...the group dynamic couldn't have been better, no accidents or breakdowns, the mix of two bikes and a 4-wheel vehicle was good as Gary carried some gas which we needed as well as a day pack for Dave and I with change of clothes....made the bikes lighter.

We saw some fat tire cyclists near the last part of day one heading towards Mulege and who were just getting into the difficult stuff...glad I wasn't doing that....maybe part of the cycle route mentioned in another thread....

So, I consider the rally a raving success....more vehicles would have increase the risk of issues arising and accommodation problems, so the camping readiness is a strong suggestion for "next time".

I want to thank Gary, Dave and Bailey for showing up and doing the loop....great guys to travel with....:saint::saint::saint:

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 12:21 PM

Awesome! I wish I had been there. Next time. Maybe after mid-December.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.