Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  10
Author: Subject: UPDATED INFO: Baja Big Loop Rally - November 23, 2016
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 08:32 AM

FYI, the road between San Isidro and Commondu is much worse now than when we rode it on our "adventure". There was a post about it a while back. I don't know if it has been fixed up yet, maybe someone should volunteer to prerun the course and report back to the group a month or so before launch....:light:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 09:31 AM

There was a report of road crews and machines regrading the road southbound from San Isidro (La Purísima side)... but that may have been a year or more ago... but after you and Ged rode it.

Edit: PS that road parallels EL CAMINO REAL... mostly to the east of the mission road. Cool if you could do the run on the 1720+ trail!

El Camino Real highlighted above.

[Edited on 12-14-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 09:35 AM

Tunaeaters dad with some friends and I drove it in April of 2014. But I'm sure the hurricane last year did a number on it.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 10:49 AM

David,
I did not walk to the mission....the water was about 2 feet deep and I was getting tired....and knew that it was unlikely I would get back up the hill on my own...and the ride back to Catavina was more challenging than the ride eastwards.

That day was one of my favourite solo adventures in Baja....Ralph warned me about riding solo and told me a story about a couple who rode in and out earlier that year....his girlfriend broke her arm.

Some day I hope to ride it again w/ a few others....maybe make the mission next time.

Don't believe everything you think....
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 10:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
..... maybe someone should volunteer to prerun the course and report back to the group a month or so before launch....:light:

What are you doing mid-December 2016?

We could check out the San Javier-Commondu-La Purisima sections out and back from Loreto ?????

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
..... maybe someone should volunteer to prerun the course and report back to the group a month or so before launch....:light:

What are you doing mid-December 2016?

We could check out the San Javier-Commondu-La Purisima sections out and back from Loreto ?????

My guess is that I'll be checking out the San Javier-Commondu-La Purisima sections out and back from Loreto in December 2016.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 11:41 AM

David,
We can work on the details off-line....otherwise, a bunch of Klingons will ride with us and we will have TWO Big Loop rallies.....:rolleyes:

Hmmmm....Big Loop Rally Lite :biggrin:

[Edited on 12-14-2015 by motoged]

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
David,
We can work on the details off-line....otherwise, a bunch of Klingons will ride with us and we will have TWO Big Loop rallies.....:rolleyes:

Hmmmm....Big Loop Rallly Lite :biggrin:

It's hard for me to process anything that has to do with you and the word "lite".:lol::lol:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 11:54 AM

Oh....just use your imagination, Slim

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 11:55 AM

The Klingon High Command approves of your Viva Baja sticker! :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The Klingon High Command approves of your Viva Baja sticker! :lol:

That was for your viewing pleasure, David :saint:

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 12:40 PM

I sure don't want to be a Klingon, but neither do I want to be the new crew member on his first 'away' mission. That NEVER ends well!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 01:03 PM

We have some time to figure this all out. :)

It seems that the San Isidro-Commondu-San Javier sections need to be evaluated....but next season's tropical storms will have first call on road conditions.

Ya know.....lotsa roads in this general area....the next step will be to identify "Best Places To Eat" for this area....maybe organize a pig roast somewhere aside from the Serenidad....or have that as a wind-up fiesta.....

Sit back in that armchair and keep on dreaming up good ideas...:cool:

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 01:10 PM

I have some new camp gear and am all hot to test it out. There is a pretty good chance I will zip down to San Isidro (That's a 3 hr. max drive for me) and look over the road to Commondu.

This will not happen until after the first of the year. Living in Mulege means that when friends and family from the Northwest start to grow moss on their North sides they start showing up at the Loreto airport. This sort of thing will keep me close to home until after the first of the year.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 01:14 PM

Sort of related to this sort of thing:

Does anyone have any experience with the Spot locators? I've heard their satellite constellation has filled in and there are fewer lost messages. This crashing around by myself is making Barbara nervous and now she saw Motoged's x-rays!

She claims to be concerned about an excessive delay between my demise and the discovery of my carcass leading to irritating delays in collecting life insurance.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 01:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
Sort of related to this sort of thing:

Does anyone have any experience with the Spot locators? I've heard their satellite constellation has filled in and there are fewer lost messages. This crashing around by myself is making Barbara nervous and now she saw Motoged's x-rays!

She claims to be concerned about an excessive delay between my demise and the discovery of my carcass leading to irritating delays in collecting life insurance.

DON'T SAY XRAY around ged, it's like saying "MAP" to DK..:lol::lol:

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 01:56 PM

Barbara's daughter is a sports medicine professional. She was the medic for a fairly major college football team. She said they were total wimps. They would come over snivelling about pain and injury and she would look it over and say, "I don't see any bone. Walk it off."
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 02:54 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the Spot locators? I've heard their satellite constellation has filled in and there are fewer lost messages.

I have a 1st generation Spot and opt for the tracking coverage and Rescue insurance. They serve a purpose and as with most everything there are better but also more expensive available (Delorme, sat phone). I think users need to be realistic about function, they work much better with a large horizon vs in a canyon and a 911 response in places like remote Baja is likely to be measured in hours not minutes.
Having someone on the other end who can help expedite/coordinate would likely help a lot.

Bruce
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 03:15 PM

Thanks for the input. Have you tested the "I'm O.K." function? That's the main reason I'm looking at it. I have seen some complaints on line about messages not getting through all of the time.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 03:39 PM

Thanks for the input. Have you tested the "I'm O.K." function? That's the main reason I'm looking at it. I have seen some complaints on line about messages not getting through all of the time.

there were problems with the 3G machines, a battery saving feature where spot would nod off some times when they should have been at full gallop. I assume this bug has been fixed?
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.