Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  10
Author: Subject: UPDATED INFO: Baja Big Loop Rally - November 23, 2016
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 09:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
I am sure a few local moto riders would be interested. Also we can get a couple of race cars to set the pace for ya jajaja Stop in when hit Mulege.

Richard,
The fast guys can race...first guy to San Juanico buys dinner :biggrin:

I hope to get to Mulege around Nov 14th or thereabouts and will look for you, for sure. I see this ride happening somewhere between Nov 20th and ending (for me in Mulege) Nov 27th.

Is Mulege Al out of the asylum yet....?

Don't believe everything you think....
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 12:04 PM

How are the roads in general along the proposed route?

While I have ridden bike all my life, at 64 I am relatively new to off-road biking and have okay skills, but certainly not superior skills. Especially in sand, I ride super slow.

I would love to join in if my schedule permits, but I don't want to hang up the speedy folks.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
How are the roads in general along the proposed route?

While I have ridden bike all my life, at 64 I am relatively new to off-road biking and have okay skills, but certainly not superior skills. Especially in sand, I ride super slow.

I would love to join in if my schedule permits, but I don't want to hang up the speedy folks.

Especially in sand, I ride super slow.........there's your problem!;)
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 12:17 PM

The road from LP to Comundu was made passable for the Loreto 400 race 2 weeks ago and we have had no rains since. So, it should be fine. I did the last 10 miles in the Willys, it is tight, technical, rocky and fun!
The Mulege to SJ is probably a mess. I will get some recent local info.

Join in Ted, it is not a race, probably many stops for fotos, cold drinks and bano para motoged.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 01:43 PM

This ride is a ride....not a race....so Richard is right about stops (for pics and a pee...refreshments...

I am 65 and have been riding bikes since 1976...but dirt since 2001....and Baja riding since 1995....

I hate silt beds and am getting better in deeper sand....the trick to sand riding seems to me to be counter-intuitive and against good judgement...."give it gas and get on top of it...".

There will be all sorts of varying road conditions...moto riders would need to have adequate-good skills on gravel/dirt roads with "babyheads", some sand skills for intermittent brief stretches, and some willingness to ride in water 2-12 inches in depth in a few arroyos (traveled by ranchers, so no snorkels are needed)...and the ability to fix a flat.

If we end up with several guys on motos and a couple of 4-wheeled vehicles (not necessarily 4X4's) I would consider that a great combination. If more show an interest, folks would likely split into groups of their liking and do the route at their own pace....

At this time I am thinking the ride would look like this:

Day One: Mulege to San Juanico....sleep in San Juanico >>>
Day Two: San Juanico to Comondu to La Purisma/San
Isidro....sleep in La Purisma (limited accommodation
there)>>>
Day Three: San Isidro to Mulege via Guajademi route>>>>

OPTIONAL ROUTE: Day Two... San Juanico to La Purisma and
stay in LP overnight>>>
Day Three... LP to Comondu to
San Javier/ Loreto
Day Four....Loreto to Mulege

As accommodations are limited in these towns, folks might want to consider "camping"....the more people that do the ride, the less likely we are to find enough beds...unless you have local connections.

I consider "camping" to be a sleeping bag/pad/tent or tarp ...no more....

I try to look at this project as several good ride days....some great country to see... simple logistics (capable of being self-reliant)...some good folks to have fun with.

If we get folks with 4 wheeled vehicles, they could maybe carry camping gear for moto riders......that's worth a cerveza or two right there:biggrin:

The ride will start in Mulege....some might just want to go to San Juanico and back.....some may want to do the Three Day plan....the San Javier option would have dirtbikers riding pavement back to Mulege....

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 02:45 PM

Baja 1000 race weekend. 16-20 Nov.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 03:05 PM

The baja mil is the northern loop this year, so it shouldn't have any effect on motogeds trip, but is something to consider if you are traveling from the north.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 03:09 PM

Okay....ride will start in Mulege about Nov 21....base on the race dates and my schedule as I need to be out of Mulege Nov 28th....we will see who shows up in Mulege around that time....

The 1000 won't be in that area , but some folks might be involved with the race...

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 03:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
The baja mil is the northern loop this year, so it shouldn't have any effect on motogeds trip, but is something to consider if you are traveling from the north.

I only mentioned it because some folks will be involved and others spectate.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2016 at 11:35 AM

I hope to join in the fun. Will stop in Ensenada for the 1000 then head south for your Loop Rally. I'll be in my Tacoma.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2016 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I hope to join in the fun. Will stop in Ensenada for the 1000 then head south for your Loop Rally. I'll be in my Tacoma.

Cool.... :cool:looking forward to meeting more Nomads .... also looking forward to your Baja trip tales

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 09:09 AM

Nomads,
For those of you who have expressed an interest in this several-day adventure (more or less), I have set the following date as the start day in Mulege: November 23rd

Some have indicated they are involved with the Baja 1000 (spectators/support/racing), so I have left a few days after the race's finish to allow those folks to gather themselves together and make it to Mulege.

I will be in Mulege from around November 16th or 17th and will likely stay at La Hacienda...that gives folks time to regroup and for me to do some day riding (....and to catch up on my taco research) with anyone around who may be interested. I will be in a silver Chevy truck w/ BC plates or on a 450 KTM (orange)

For those folks who are thinking they can make the ride starting November 23rd, please send me a U2U so I can get a sense of who to look for and how many there may be.

I think a rider's meeting should occur the evening of Nov 22nd....likely at Scotty's as it is central...yet to be confirmed. This will give folks a chance to meet, discuss ride plan options, and get us ready for a departure Wednesday morning WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 23rd

North of San Juanico....

West of Mulege...

Yum....

Breakfast at Equipales restaurant....

[Edited on 10-25-2016 by motoged]

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 10:29 AM

Unfortunately I wont be making it. No time off left this year. Someone please try to save your GPS tracks.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 03:11 PM

In my last post, I stated that Thursday, Nov 23rd would be the ride's start date. At this time. I will stick with that as well as a Wednesday, Nov 22nd as a riders meeting at Scotty's at 5:00 pm.

Several folks wanting to attend are hoping to be there by those dates but a few may be a day late. As such, I will ask those who can confirm their attendance by U2U to me so I can keep track.

WillyAirstream indicated that the mid-week start excludes interested locals as they will be working, so I told him that I was around the weekend of Nov. 18-20th and would love to ride with some locals for at least a day ride in the area....so that is also an option for those who can't make the Loop and aren't at the Baja 1000.

Please U2U me to keep my attendee's list up to date.....

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 04:35 PM

Ged and any other Nomads:
If you spend any time in La Purisima and are interested in some historical research, I would like you to try and see if there are any ruins of the mission beyond the crypts and take photos, please. At best there are some foundation stones upon which the adobe church was built. It may be hidden by weeds. It is on the main road through town, east side of town, north side of road. N26°11.43', W112°04.37' Thank you!

Some old photos:

1906:

1926:

Man is walking in front of mission ruin.

1949:

1956:

Note the large crypts that are on the east side of (what was) the church.

Ateo took this photo of my 2012 book on the ruins (I think of one of the crypts) >>>

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 05:27 PM

Here is a GE image of the location in reference to the motel.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 10:46 PM

Well...that's close to where I hope we will get rooms. It's a simple motel operated by a wonderful couple....and let's keep the focus on the ride :saint:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 10:00 AM
Latest Update...Oct 28th

The Loop Rally is set to go with the aforementioned start date of Nov 23rd....and an evening rider's meeting at Scotty's 6:00 pm Nov 22nd. We have a few Tacomas and several moto riders at this time...a sensible number, but more may show up at the last minute.

I will keep things up to date on this thread.

WillyAirstream has informed me that Nov 19th and 20th is a national holiday celebrating revolution and independence: "Día de la Independencia"....and, as such, the revelry in Mulege will be duly noted with some locals itching to do a ride....so if anyone is in the barrio looking to explore for a day or two with local riders/drivers....it gives a good warm-up for the Baja Big Loop Rally :light:

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 10:21 AM

This looks fantastic. I would really like to go. Not sure how to swing it, with my wife and stuff.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
This looks fantastic. I would really like to go. Not sure how to swing it, with my wife and stuff.

Bring the stuff....leave the wife?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.