Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Shoshoni, Wyoming, a Semi Ghost Town
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 09:28 PM
Shoshoni, Wyoming, a Semi Ghost Town

Shoshoni, Wyoming is a bit of a strange semi mining and RR ghost town. There is still a post office, some residents, an annual fiddle festival, and a strange art place that may or may not be haunted. There is also one motel that is not pet friendly, and looks a little like Bates.

An interesting and strange enough place that we thought it deserved a real, maybe over the tops, grunge treatment.

Truck is still operational, but the drive up window is not.

The Post Office int he background is operational, and we think the saloon in front of the 'modern" car is open, at least at times.

Some of the vehicles are a bit in need of repair.

One side of the main street.

The other side

This place was not open --- check it out if interested. A part fo the strange part of the town.

And outside of town.

A interesting place to visit --- we just wonder what it was like with a fiddle fest

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by DianaT]

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 12:09 AM

Amazing...thanks....PS I have been there....30 years ago, maybe have to go back..and fiddle around....

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 10:50 AM

Very cool photos - thanks for sharing!

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 11:22 AM

WOW your photography is out standing
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 12:07 PM

Something spooky about that place. Could you feel cold stares coming from the windows??

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 12:45 PM

Great photo work Diane!
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 04:43 PM

If buildings could talk!
In everyone of them someone put their heart and soul and probably everything they owned when it was built. Now it's just dist blowing in the wind.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 06:46 PM

Fremont county is adjacent, north and east of Sweetwater county. That was my 'hood growing up although I spent more time to the west around Lander and northward to Dubois. Named after the Shoshone tribe who were a mountain tribe, most of those folks live on the Wind River Indian Reservation. In it's divine wisdom, the US government assigned them to live with their plains tribe, historic enemies, the Arapaho. There is a ton of history in those small communities in Wyoming, thanks for reminding me to keep my eyes open when I travel through them.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 06:50 PM

The photos jump out at you. Thanks Diane.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 08:15 PM

Thanks for the nice comments. This processing just seem to fit this town.

And yes, is rather spooky and one does feel like they are being watched. Even when I called the only motel listed, the rather abrupt lady did not answer with a business name, but with just HELLO and seemed annoyed I was not sure who I had called.

After visiting we read a lot on the internet about the history of this town and its name. There is a lot written about it.

One of the sites I found most interesting about the Shoshoni (Shoshone) in this area is http://www.wwcc.wy.edu/wyo_hist/shoshoni1.htm if someone is interested. The painting of Geronimo seemed a bit strange in this area, but then again, he was a hero to many groups.

And there is a lot about the House of Wonder--- didn't appear to be open, so not sure what is still going on.

THANKS again.

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 12-12-2015 at 03:07 PM

Visit the cemetery when you're in backcountry Wyoming:

A COWBOY’s TOMBSTONE:

FIVE RULES FOR MEN TO FOLLOW FOR A HAPPY LIFE

1. It's important to have a woman who helps at home, cooks from time to time, cleans up, and has a job.

2. It's important to have a woman who can make you laugh.

3. It's important to have a woman who you can trust, and doesn't lie to you.

4. It's important to have a woman who is good in bed, and likes to be with you.

5. It's very, very important that these four women do not know each other or you could end up dead like me.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-12-2015 at 03:36 PM

Wyld-oming's 3 Greatest Lies:

1. My pick-up truck is paid for.

2. It's only mud on muh boots.

3. Honest, honey..... I wuz only helpin' that sheep through the fence!

Shoshoni looks definitely like a destination... next summer. Great pics, DianaT., especially the b/w.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2015 at 05:19 PM

Thanks for the laugh you two. :biggrin:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.