Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CBX Cross Border Express
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 09:41 AM
CBX Cross Border Express

Had to make a very quick run to La Paz last week. Caught a Volaris flight on Tues (the walkway didn't open until Wed). Parked at Delta Truck Park and was delivered to the border where I walked across and caught a cab to the airport. On my return on Friday I walked across the CBX.

The process was extremely easy. Go to the ticket window and show your boarding pass (I guess so they know you arrived in TIJ by plane) and purchase your ticket to cross. Reportedly it will be $18 USD. Crossing was free for the first week so they just handed me a ticket and I headed across. I was the first to cross from my flight because I only had a carry on so I walked right up to the CBP desk, showed my passport and was was done. Walked outside and called Delta Truck Park for pickup. I got the feeling I was the first passenger they picked up from CBX because when I told them where I was it threw them off a little. They were there in 10 minutes, took me to my truck and I was on the road.

As more Nomads use this I'm sure more info will become avail but my understanding right now is that it will be $18 per person to cross each way. For comparison a taxi is only $12 and can transport up to 3-4 people. I think I heard parking at CBX will be $10/day whereas I think I only paid $8 at Delta. With the current construction at the Otay crossing the walk to the taxi is a little farther than the walk across the bridge.

Hopefully someone can chime in on their southbound travel experience and can report on checkin and INM procedures.

In Memory of E-57
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 01:50 PM

Nice report, thanks for the info
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 02:55 PM

Was a report here recently that, I guess SD County, is no longer
going to allow parking at Delta, zoning? Accurate? I remember a couple
other day parking lots at Otay. Looks like it MAY be a few
$ cheaper to still use Otay crossing, then with having to stand in the ped
line coming back, may be worth it to use the new bridge. I would be
dropped off and picked up at the vehicle crossing. Plus the
fact I'm kinda old school, nostalgic?

mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 05:43 PM

I am curious about the Delta parking also. I thought they were not allowing passenger car parking any more. Their website even said it last month.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 11:05 PM

No mention of that when I parked there last Tue through Fri so I can't answer

In Memory of E-57
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 11:08 AM

Well, now that the heat is off...

CBX might not make sense southbound other than paying for convenience (not having to change taxis, etc.), but northbound it's as good a deal as taking the Airport Taxi Cartel to the border, which is $18.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 12:07 PM

So if me and my wife want to fly to somewhere in Mexico for 5 days we first have to pay $5 for the toll road to get to the CBX, then pay $50 for 5 days parking and $36 ($18 each) to lug our luggage 360 feet across the bridge. Then when we return it's anoter $36 + another $5 for the toll road. That's a total of $132 Vs driving across at Otay and paying $100 to stay one night at a motel including 5 days free parking and a free schuttle to the main entrance to the TJ airport without having to lug anything? Makes sense to me.

Bob Durrell
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 12:24 PM

Bob - There is NO toll to get to CBX. Only to use the bridge. If you are a senior there is a discount on the bridge crossing fee. CBX is off the 905, Brittania exit.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
So if me and my wife want to fly to somewhere in Mexico for 5 days we first have to pay $5 for the toll road to get to the CBX, then pay $50 for 5 days parking and $36 ($18 each) to lug our luggage 360 feet across the bridge. Then when we return it's anoter $36 + another $5 for the toll road. That's a total of $132 Vs driving across at Otay and paying $100 to stay one night at a motel including 5 days free parking and a free schuttle to the main entrance to the TJ airport without having to lug anything? Makes sense to me.

Well worth it to avoid the time to close back over if you don't have Sentri. Plus the taking a vehicle to MX and having to have insurance and all that. And driving around TJ.

jackaroe

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 10:06 PM

Ran the CBX with 5 friends last weekend. was awesome. it was free but I'm sure I'll do it again when its $$$. Clean fast and easy. Their were 5 US agents with no line on the way back (monday 4pm)
I wonder how busy it will get as the cost will for sure discourage some. But as for now,, its sweet. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.