Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tis' the Season...to see whales..Fa La La La La
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-17-2015 at 09:26 AM
Tis' the Season...to see whales..Fa La La La La

The Gray Whale season has officially begun and last night I had my usual season openers whale dream that was chocked full of Gray Whale mothers and calves all around the panga.

In real life, we have started to see the grays migrating earlier this year most likely due to the cold setting in early up north as well. Reports from the census points in California report that there are more whales closer to shore too. We expect a bumper crop of calves again this year in the whale nurseries. Keep in mind that the main calving lagoon fills up with whales first earlier in the season and has over 2,000 whales in it by February. San Ignacio generally has 3-400 whales and they arrive and stay there later and Magdelena Bay has about 2-300 and also has a later season.

So if you are in the Guerrero Negro area, stop in and visit us at our Whale Magic Tours base camp at Ojo de Liebre (Scammons Lagoon) and if you want to join one of my trips, pick a date and let me know as many of my tours fill up. For more information check out www.whalemagictours.com

Happy Whale Season everyone!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2015 at 05:23 PM

Our first whale trip is on January 2nd...next Tuesday if anyone is heading north and wants to join us...we will go out around 10:00 in the morning from the inner lagoon. I am soooo excited about seeing some new babies and maybe some kinky mating!!! hahahaha

I will most likely be there the 3rd too if anybody wants to meet us out at the lagoon for a trip.

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2015 at 07:09 PM

Very cool Shari, We are working on anther trip with you this year!
trying to get all on board for this years trip. Will be talking to you soon.
Thanks for what you do, making great times for all::bounce:
bajasusan/a
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 06:47 AM

fantastic fotos! one day i hope to be one of the fortunate few (relatively speaking) who get to see you with your whale family...
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 08:48 AM

look forward to our annual party trip Liknbaja!!!!
And dont forget, come one come all to my super duper birthday extravaganza in the lagoon on March 3rd. This year will be extra special as I turn the big 6-0!!! So mark it on your calendar and head out to the whale magic camp for dancing, food, cake and whales of course!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 05:49 PM

Just heard a report about whales near the LA area. It seems that there have been Greys, Humpbacks, and Blue Whales spotted in recent times very near the coast.

Experts are saying that it can be attributed to a flourishing ecosystem in the region. whodathunk?

Maybe El Nino has something to do with it. But what do I know?
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 08:19 PM
California census update- Dec. 26

FYI: from Alisa Schulman-Janiger's Facebook page

(12/27) "Mating Grays Alert! Two rolling, socializing groups of gray whales off our Gray Whale Census at Pt Vicente - including a very rare sighting of a "Pink Floyd"!

and: "Whale Alert, Oceanside: Possible Orcas?? Carla Mitroff spotted 5+ southbound gray whales around 8:30 am from shore - as well as lots of splashing/attacking action that looked very much like the surface activity she saw last year when orcas were attacking common dolphin or sea lions! This is the time of year when Bigg's killer whales, the CA51s, have come to visit for five years, including last month (then they headed back to Monterey Bay); keep sharp eyes out for them!"

(12/26) "Gray Whale Census Update, Pt. Vicente: 26 Dec: ten GRAY WHALES - nine southbound and one northbound! One gray milled for twenty minutes in the kelp below us: it did a SPYHOP, a bubble blast, and fluked frequently. Late this afternoon, a southbound whale came close to shore in front of us and fluked on its long dive. After sunset, that whale and our northbound whale joined up; when we left, these whales were swimming in circles just above the fence line. Both whales fluked (as we joked about our two whales passing in the night). COMMON DOLPHIN accompanied two sightings. We tracked two HUMPBACK WHALES; they milled for a long time. Our day ended with a very nice green flash that turned blue at the end. Photos: Gray Whale, from sighting #7 (one of a pair), photographed by Gray Whale Census Director Alisa Schulman-Janiger (from the whale watch boat Voyager, right in front of the Pt. Vicente Interpretive Center)."

and: (12/26) "More Grays Coming! Tony Lorenz spotted "well over 40 southbound gray whales" today off of Yankee Point (south of Monterey Bay), traveling in groups of 2-4; they should be migrating off southern CA next week!"

[Edited on 12-28-2015 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bajasusan/a
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 09:25 PM

okay this is pretty thrilling, since i just moved to a tiny apartment in playas de tijuana cuz it's got a huge porch on the beach. perfect for sea-critter-watching. so keep the reports coming, please, and let me know when they pass the san ysidro checkpoint! jajajaja
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2015 at 07:31 AM

Sound great Susana...you can be our whale spotter up north!

Humbacks and blue whales have been in southern California because of the food source...but Gray Whales are just passing through on their way here.

OUr guests arriving today are whale watching this morning in OJo de Liebre so I will have a report later today of how many whales in the lagoon. The inner lagoon Ejido Benito Juarez are up and running now.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 12-28-2015 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Sound great ...

OUr guests arriving today are whale watching this morning in OJo de Liebre so I will have a report later today of how many whales in the lagoon. The inner lagoon Ejido Benito Juarez are up and running now.

Shari- when does the ejido open the restaurant? (I may come down, want to know about food to pack)

Thanks!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.