BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2015 Whale memories (getting ready for 2016...)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 10:53 PM
2015 Whale memories (getting ready for 2016...)

Looking forward to the return of the whales!

Here are some of the more memorable whale encounters and interesting weather events from 2015 at Ojo de Liebre:

Shari in action

New arrival, still showing "fetal folds"

Meanwhile, back on land:

On the road to the lagoon

Weird warm winter storm out of the south

After the storm: rainbow, Ojo de Liebre

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 11:18 PM

I hope to check out the whales in San Ignacio Lagoon next week. Do you know if any of the outfits have a lower age limit? I'd like to take my almost 3-year old son, if possible.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 11:46 PM

Do you mean next month? It's pretty early for whales, esp in San Ignacio, even January.

I've seen Guides allow very young children in the pangas but you need to bring your own life jacket for such a young child. (They have jackets for older kids and adults.)

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 12:58 AM

I have a life jacket for him. Kuyima says the season starts mid-December, and we'll be down there so I thought I'd check it out.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 04:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
I have a life jacket for him. Kuyima says the season starts mid-December, and we'll be down there so I thought I'd check it out.

In past years, the full camp didn't open until January. (I was there in 2014 in late January, and it was operating on skeleton staff, but maybe El Nino is causing them to change their schedule?)

Enjoy! It's a beautiful area and worth a visit. But be advised, there will likely be very few whales at this point in the season.

Most early arrivals will be pregnant moms who are very tired after the long migration. You will see them floating on the surface, sleeping, and there is often not a lot of activity or interaction. That happens later when the calves are older and more developed.

Every year is different. Have a fun trip.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 08:41 AM

We did have some fun didnt we Lori! I remember that spy hopper so well! I am super excited about this season...cant wait to see those adorable teeny weeny whale babies!

Often in early January, I have had remarkable trips as the pregnant females often have a midwife with them and are super friendly as they are just biding their time till the baby is born and so like to hang with the pangas...plus January is awesome for seeing the newborns and maybe even a live birth!!! Not to mention mating activity that you dont see later on.

Look forward to hanging with you again at the lagoon!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 09:08 AM

Per kuyima fb website, whales have been in lagoon since a few days ago.

Re kids, my kids went whale watching as infants, toddlers, and preschoolers,... They will do fine. The younger ones just sleep because of the rocking. The older ones are unsure what to make of humongous leviathans, and are alternately scared, leery, intrigued and excited

[Edited on 12-19-2015 by mtgoat666]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.