BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Motorcycle ride San Diego to La Paz
MYeater

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 04:19 PM
Motorcycle ride San Diego to La Paz

I am planning a ride from SD to La Paz. I am looking for input on : Routes, Stops, and for those that have made the ride. What bike did you ride, what would you do different.
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 04:39 PM

Dirt or pavement?
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 04:47 PM

Tell us what you are riding and how much time you have.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-19-2015 at 05:08 PM
MYeater

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 05:54 PM

2012 Harley. Pavement. Thinking of taking a week to ride down to La Paz
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 07:30 PM

On a Harley Hwy 1 is about the only option you have. Lots of places to stop and enjoy especially for a week.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 09:31 PM

Watch out for some serious potholes in general area of Catavina, keep the top half of your tank full, and have flat repair ability...

85% of Harleys made are still on the road....the rest of them made it back home...:biggrin:

Eat fish tacos....

Don't believe everything you think....
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 10:54 PM

What model? There is a stretch of road that goes from El Rosario to Jesus Maria where there is no official gas station for about 200 miles.

I bought my first Harley more than twenty years ago. I still have it. I bought a second one ten years later. The only new vehicles I have every purchased. I have ridden them a total of no more than 100 miles in the last five years. I made the mistake of getting a BMW GS Adventure 1200 for a trip south. After riding the BMW for a month, I sat on my Road King in the garage. I thought it had two flat tires, but it was just the way it felt compared to the BMW. I have hardly ridden it since.

I would stop in Ensenada for the first night. Make sure to have secure parking everywhere you stop.

Consider riding over to San Felipe and back in one day. Just to see it. (Not that much to see, IMHO.)

From Ensenada, I would consider stopping at Catavina for the night. Hotel El Mision. With the Harley, you can still get off and see the rock paintings immediately before Catavina. You probably can't go to La Lobera to see the sea lions though.

Then, consider going to Bahia de Los Angeles for the next night.

If you have time and inclination, check out the whales in Ojo de Liebre or San Igancio lagoons.

Then stop at San Ignacio to see the Mission.

Maybe spend the night in Santa Rosalia or Mulege. Santa Rosalia has some cool French architecture, including a metal church allegedly designed by Eiffel (not as famous as his tower). Mulege is a small little oasis along the Sea of Cortez, with gringo history and an awesome mission.

Loreto is another nice stop. El Mision is a very nice hotel on the water. You should also see the Head and Mother of the Missions in California.

Between Mulege and Loreto there are a number of very nice little beaches. Most will be tricky with a Harley.

After Loreto, I get a little murky. I have ridden down to La Paz, but did it in one go. Next time, I would check out Adolfo Lopez Mateo and Puerto San Carlos, then head for La Paz.

Be careful. Don't ride at night (primarily because of animals, but there are many dangers on the roads).

It helps if you speak at least some Spanish.

TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 08:03 AM

A couple of spots BigBearRider didn't mention but would be worth your time. Between Mulege and Loreto be sure to stop at Playa Buenaventura for a cheeseburger or fish sandwich. Good place, right on the water, nice folks. If you go to Puerto San Carlos (west of Constitucion) stay at Mar Y Arena, right on the water, nice rooms and good restaurant. If you have the time head from La Paz to San Jose Del Cabo via the old highway through the mountains. Old towns like El Triunfo and Miraflores are worth checking out.

Be sure to buy gas from the guys by the side of the road in Cataviņa. Like BigBearRider says, it is a long way between gas stations. Have fun.
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 08:48 AM

So tell me:

is the 1200GS for sale?
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 09:19 AM

Brings back memories,had the very rare HD XR1000.Have a safe trip,picture of your bike?
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 09:36 AM

MY,

If I take your 2nd post literally, then it reads you have one week down and one week to go back. That would be a great trip.

If you have only the one week for down and back (assuming 8 days in baja), then you will have some long ride days down and back, not much cushion time if you find something interesting or have a mechanical/tire issue.

You will have to start early in TJ, get your tourist visa and hit the road to get past all the agriculture and traffic before dark. Days are short now, and the no-ride at-night thing is something you should respect in baja. Can be done, but it will be more like an iron butt run than a vacation, if that's what you want.

Consider going as far as Loreto and back in a week. LTO to La Paz and back to LTO would likely consume 3 days, for example. Good bike bar just as you turn west to go to the Loreto mission. The other reccs here are good too. Have fun!
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
So tell me:

is the 1200GS for sale?

No. I cannot see myself ever parting with it. I've ridden it to South America and to Prudhoe Bay. Hopefully, it will have some more adventures before it goes into my "museum" permanently. (I have a hard time parting with stuff. Although I haven't ridden the Harleys in the last couple of years, I cannot see myself getting rid of them.)
sdraul

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 10:58 AM

Google "Doing It Baja"....it is a 8 part motorcycle trip just like the one you want to do

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.