Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Driving from Lake Tahoe to Todos Santos
Janudy

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 12:06 PM
Driving from Lake Tahoe to Todos Santos

Hoping to leave right after Christmas. First time driving to Baja. Would like someone to join me or meet up to caravan. Also if you have suggestions on where to stay on my travels. Thanks for your info
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 12:09 PM

WHERE "to Baja"?
Baja is 1,000+ miles of fun... What do you want to see or do... to help us make suggestions.

[Edited on 12-21-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Janudy

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 12:33 PM

Driving from Tecate border to Todos Santos
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 12:38 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I am just over the hill from you, in Grass Valley, and have been hoping to have headed south and returned by now, but life happens! I may still be able to make it happen, but probably not on your schedule.

It would hep to know what you are driving, and if you are looking for motels, or plan on campgrounds or RV parks..

I saw in your posting on another thread, that Todos Santos is your destination, but is getting there quickly, or sight seeing and exploring on the way down more important?

Do you plan on traveling down through CA on I-5, or 99....or are you headed south through Nevada or on 395?

I will check back for more info as you and others post it, and feel free to ask me questions with the U2U feature on this board. I hope you find the answers you need.

Edit; Tecate is a good choice, or Mexicali would work also.

[Edited on 12-21-2015 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Janudy

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 12:48 PM

I'm driving my Honda CRV. I'm taking 395 out of Nevada. I'm not in a huge hurry pretty open to what ever. I'm starting my five month trip about one month late. Life got in the way here too. What are your plans at this time.
Janudy

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 12:50 PM

I'll be staying in motels not camping.
Janudy

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 12:52 PM

I have my passport and car insurance for Mexico. Anything else I will need for border.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 12:54 PM

Yes. You will need to get your FMM at the border. You'll have to pay some 330 pesos for it. If you travel with a pet, get your docs in order.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 12:56 PM

So, just shooting for that destination of Todos Santos or are you interested in seeing sites along the way, taking your time?

What you are interested in matters for recommendations. Beaches, desert cactus forests, palm canyons, Indian rock art sites, old mines, the Spanish missions of Old California... How off-road-able are you? Most places in Baja don't require 4WD, but having it is a safety feature.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Janudy

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 01:21 PM

I would like to get there pretty quick. Driving from Tecate border where should I stay in Tecate. I hear Tecate has great Restuarants, any suggestions. I plan to leave Tecate early morning. 2nd day I'll leave early again and where should I drive to and stay the night. I would like to be close enough to drive into Todos Santos the 3rd day.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 01:34 PM

Lake Tahoe (south or north shore??) to Tecate is a pretty long haul to make in one day. Plus it will possibly be dark by the time you reach the San Diego area and I would not suggest driving the road from La Mesa to Tecate in the dark.

We make the run from Carson City to Ensenada and back each year 395 and the I-15. Breaking up the trip with an overnight a little past half way is recommended.....plus your driving time may be affected by weather (snow) this time of year

We stay at La Quinta in Temecula on the southbound leg (they are pet friendly) and in Ridgecrest on the way north.

From Temecula to Tecate is an easy trip, and after you cross you can easily make San Quintin or El Rosario depending on your speed, and alertness level....also that would keep you from driving at night. From there south are plenty of options (except Catavina) for lodging. Don't forget to top off your tank in El Rosario.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 02:24 PM

So, Todos Santos on Day 3...? That means all of Baja in-between will be a blur. When you are ready to see more, do pull into San Ignacio (paved side road just 2 miles off the highway), a gem is Bahia de los Angeles (paved side road 40 miles), the many beaches along Bahia Concepcion and south of Loreto, the missions, cave art, and more. Click on my links in my signature below for some ideas and samples. Have fun!

Mexico (especially Baja California) is no place to be in a hurry! When you hear "Maņana" it doesn't always mean tomorrow or the morning... it also means simply "NOT TODAY"!

RenoJoe
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 05:33 PM

I'm planning a drive from Reno to Asuncion in mid January. I'm taking Hwy. 5 from Mexicali to Hwy. 1. may watch whales on the way. Can stop at motels I have an R.V to stay in. I'm in no hurry.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 07:32 PM

Being in an RV, you do understand there are 23 miles of unpaved, bumpy roadbed before you reach Hwy. 1 (Laguna Chapala), right?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Janudy  
I'm driving my Honda CRV. I'm taking 395 out of Nevada. I'm not in a huge hurry pretty open to what ever. I'm starting my five month trip about one month late. Life got in the way here too.

Quote: Originally posted by Janudy  
I would like to get there pretty quick. Driving from Tecate border where should I stay in Tecate. I hear Tecate has great Restuarants, any suggestions. I plan to leave Tecate early morning. 2nd day I'll leave early again and where should I drive to and stay the night. I would like to be close enough to drive into Todos Santos the 3rd day.

You're doing a five month trip, so why are you planning to drive like there is no tomorrow?

Driving At that rate, you won't want to convoy - waiting for another car will just slow you down.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 09:24 PM

Don't plan to stay in Tecate, definitely a "pass through" town.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
RenoJoe
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-22-2015 at 08:03 AM

David I drove it 2 years ago no problem low pressure and slow
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-22-2015 at 10:16 AM

Janudy, Check your U2U inbox!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2015 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RenoJoe  
David I drove it 2 years ago no problem low pressure and slow

10-4!

There are newbies here daily and I saw you were in an RV. Many people come here with the rumor that the Mexico #5 is a completed highway!!!

cat

[*] posted on 12-22-2015 at 11:28 AM

I am planning a nomadic journey the baja way. I am traveling with my dog. we r in san diego now & will continue into baja on the 26th. dec. 2015. I am interested in joining others along the way. contact me if we can move on down the road with fun & grace.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.