Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexicali Crossing questions
healthdetective
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 08:46 AM
Mexicali Crossing questions

Hello

I will be crossing at Mexicali for the first time in a couple/few weeks (always did Tecate)

Which portion of the crossing would be easiest for someone with a small suv pulling a small utility trailer (particularly interested in the parking situation and I will also have to leave some dogs in vehicle while doing paperworks)

Is it true that they frown upon bringing gas cans through? Is it the can or the gas or both?
Is it the same for a propane tank (barbeque size)?

Thank you in advance and FELIZ NAVIDAD! woohooo

�The average man does not want to be free. He simply wants to be safe.� � Mencken
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 08:49 AM

Mexicali East would probable be a better choice for crossing and getting the paper work. They frown on you bringing gas, the can is OK. I don't know about propane tanks, never took one down.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 08:58 AM

HD,

Both of the parking situations sort of suck for Mexicali west and east. However, I prefer the east crossing. As you cross, you will see a big parking lot over to your right; sometimes I get in there, sometimes not. Access is difficult. Another option...pull past where that parking lot is and you will see a little guard shack on the right near the x-ray machine, there is a place right there (on the main road) where you can park if nobody else is parked there. Quite often nobody is parked there...it is basically right next to where the x-ray machine is.

Gas cans are no problem as long as they aren't full of fuel. Bring them empty and fill them in Mexico. I've never had a problem with propane tanks.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
healthdetective
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 09:13 AM

Wow that was quick!

Thank you for the peace of mind you both just gave me

�The average man does not want to be free. He simply wants to be safe.� � Mencken
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 12:13 PM

When I crossed ar the east portal in early November, aduanes wouldn't let me use the lot on the right. I had to drive to the highway, turn right and down about 100 yds on your right is a public lot. I had two dogs with me and left the windows down a bit, humped hard back to INM did my stuff and humped back to the lot where a guy charged me 20 pesos. Gave him $5 US and we both parted happy. When I asked the INM agent why I couldn't patk in the lot, it was news to him. Es Mexico, ya takes yer chances and roll with it.

Regards,
Keith. And feliz navidad!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 12:49 PM
parking Mexicali East - sometimes??

As with so many things at the crossings, the one constant is that there is no consistency.

We pulled in one time into the big parking lot next to the Xray machine as suggested in an earlier posting and got chased out almost immediately.

What was, at least for a few years, was a parking lot right in front of the bank office.

Keith obviously didn't have any luck with that. But, just in case they've reverted to an earlier time I'll attach a google earth image that may or may not be of value.

John M

[Edited on 12-24-2015 by John M]
healthdetective
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2015 at 07:31 AM

Keith and John M

Thanks ! More helpful information.

nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2015 at 07:20 PM

If you go early you should be able to park (East) in the lot right by the bank. the above map is good and shows you right where to go, It is pretty easy as we did it with a const
ruction trailer in tow. Nancy

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.