Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: AT&T free in Mexico
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 12-29-2015 at 05:19 PM
AT&T free in Mexico

I just changed my AT&T plan - granted I have five phones on my plan and three users are between ages 19-26, but by changing to a shared data plan (15 GB per month) we now have use of our phones for free in Mexico! This includes unlimited minutes and texting. We also receive 1 GB of data per month to use in Mexico, so no fear of roaming charges. I am sharing this because in the past I spent $30 a month for 80 minutes in Mexico w/o texting and NO DATA. My father in law (lives part time in Punta Chivato) was spending lots of $ to talk on a Movie Star phone and was paying $1 per minute of someone called the AT&T phone (would not add the Mexico talk to his phone). Now he doesn't need that phone, only the AT&T phone, and it does not cost us any more $$. Yay!
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2015 at 05:59 PM

We just got on this plan also.
We are on AT&T with my son in Alaska.
Looking forward to the next month's bill!!!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2015 at 06:03 PM

And just how long do you think it will be until AT&T figures it out?:?:
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 12-29-2015 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
And just how long do you think it will be until AT&T figures it out?:?:

It will last as long as you keep your contract with AT&T and if they drop the plan you won't loose it. I just switched from my old plan that was "VIVA MEXICO" with AT&T and which hasn't been available for years but it was grandfathered in as my existing plan, but it was a whole lot more expensive since the beginning; now I have this plan and I'm really happy with it because I'm paying less than half the cost and also includes data, before no text was included and they charged dearly for texts, and for web access you had to pay per "bundles"...

[Edited on 12-30-2015 by carlosg]

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 12-29-2015 at 09:34 PM

I pay verizon $2 a day when in Baja for unlimited text and talk...

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
SC2BAJA

[*] posted on 12-29-2015 at 09:55 PM

It's called the Mexico roaming bonus-
Unlimited calls, unlimited text, 1 gig data and it's free if you have a shared plan. I just added it last week and ditched my old Mexico plan!

nice post baja mama!
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 12-30-2015 at 07:14 AM

I'm looking forward to being able to use my phone without fear of roaming charges (and not having to pay $42 for texting charges like I did for my October Punta Chivato visit...).
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2015 at 10:17 AM

you can thank T-Mobil for the change. ATT was losing too many customers!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2015 at 12:50 PM

Wow, that is fantastic. I just signed up for it too; I wonder how long it will last. Thanks everyone for raising this; never would have known about it otherwise.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 12-30-2015 at 01:20 PM

FYI - if you are currently on an AT&T individual plan, you can convert it to a share plan even if you're not sharing with anyone. I found the prices are cheaper AND you can get the new Mexico plan.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 12-30-2015 at 02:14 PM

We recently got switched to the new AT&T shared plan and it saved us a ton. We don't have to switch off our data roaming anymore when we enter Mexico and the service has been great.

philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2016 at 03:44 PM

I have an Att GoPhone ($60 smartphone from Walmart) and with the $60 plan ($55 with autopay) you get unlimited talk/text in Baja and 4g of data. Got it hooked up to my computer with the built in mobile hotspot and works great (when it works).
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 12:04 PM

All,

I just went to my local AT&T store and they told me I had to be on a mobile share plan with at least 15 GB's of data on the plan to include their new Mexico plan for free, has this been your experience as well?

Thanks
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 04:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
All,

I just went to my local AT&T store and they told me I had to be on a mobile share plan with at least 15 GB's of data on the plan to include their new Mexico plan for free, has this been your experience as well?

Thanks

We are on a shared plan with only 2GBS of data for everyone on the plan. We are down in Mexico now and it is, in fact, free up to 2 GBS per mobile device. I signed up online so no need to go into the AT&T store. Apparently AT&T acquired USACELL and T-Mobile down here so that's why they are offering this great deal.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 05:11 PM

I have the grandfathered in Unlimited Data Plan and it's nice, but I don't get this new Mex upgrade!!!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 07:54 PM

Look at the fine print on those ATT plans. I have heard that you cant spend more than 6 months in Mexico, or you start getting billed for roaming, data, etc.

Maybe not an issue for the occasional visitor. BUT READ THE FINE PRINT. REGARDLESS OF HOW LONG IT TAKES.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2016 at 10:37 PM

Thanks for the help all, I looked into it and was able to add it to my wife's plan, she has the 2GB mobile share plan. Ateo I feel your pain, I too have the old unlimited plan and can't get the Mexico upgrade added to my plan either!
Piter

[*] posted on 1-24-2016 at 02:29 PM

TMobile, 50/month 2 GB data, calling and receiving calls in Mexico, Canada and the USA. Add more lines for discounted rated on each additional line. This is the cheapest I have found. My only concern is giving a US number to someone in Mexico. Or can they call the number without the country code - unlikely. Even if you tell them its the same cost as calling a mexican number, they will be quite hesitant to use it and possibly incur a very expensive call.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 01:26 AM

AT&T acquired two MX carriers last year to make this possible.

I've noticed in Sonora that the data rates have been chit compared to what they were when roaming on to Telcel. Not getting 4G in a lot of spots now.

[Edited on 1-26-2016 by JZ]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.