BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: 12 V air compressor recomendation?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2015 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  
Quote: Originally posted by Aldervale  
It will extend the life of lower priced compressors if you start the pump then put it on the tire. You'll blow fuses or burn switches if you start it after connecting to your tire.

Hmmm...tell me more !

I don't know the details behind it. I can only guess that connecting the air line to the pump hose introduces back pressure the compressor needs to overcome before it can start pushing air and that requires a lot of amps. I blew fuses and a switch before I got that tip, but I've also upgraded to a higher quality compressor.

no doubt, there's all kind of hacks that will hot-rod these compressors but the simplest is to ditch the undersized wiring and cheesy fuse set-up, remember these compressors will draw 30 amps yet come with 14awg (10 or 12 feet??) for a $50 Chinese compressor these are hard to beat, just make em a little more efficient. ;)
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-31-2015 at 01:50 PM

how fast is the Puma?

Well, I have 295/75R16 tires (similar to a 33" tire), they are not small tires.
With a quadruple Viair I could pump 3 tires by hand with an upright bicycle pump by the time the Viair had finished 1 tire

With the Puma I don't bother using the hand pump any longer

never measured the time - but my guess would be that it takes less than 2 minutes to go from 10 psi to 30 psi with my tire size

the pump produces 3.5 cfm @ 90 psi

look for cfm when you buy a compressor - not for psi (you rarely ever need more than 35 psi anyway). We need high volume in a short period of time - not high pressure.

If they don't advertise the cfm - they don't have a product worth looking at.

Harald Pietschmann
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 05:46 AM

Thanks, Harald.

I needed an inflator quickly before Thanksgiving and bought this from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40026-Heavy-Direct-Inflator/dp/B...

It claimed to inflate a truck tire in 2 mins. I didn't time it, but I was a little disappointed when I tried it. Maybe I was expecting too much.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 07:06 AM

I have a Viair compressor that I like except for the cheap air hose (it broke). Viair specifies how long it takes to get different tire sizes up to a given pressure. My only regret is I wish I got a faster model because of the time it takes to get my F250 tires up to 80 psi. I recommend getting the fastest one you can afford/fit, and getting a high quality air hose.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 10:30 AM

Erik,

the compressor you bought barely produces 1 CFM under load
I would expect it to take at least 4 minutes for your tires

I'll do a test run in the afternoon to get real life numbers for the Puma

just looking at the specs the Puma will inflate a pickup tire in 1 minute from 10 psi to 35 psi
this is not counting the restriction imposed by the Schrader valve

let you know later

Harald Pietschmann
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 10:47 AM

well if time is of the essence......a $50 Q-50 will pump up a 285/75/16 from 15# to 30# in 3 minutes.
for the price, buy two, heck buy four and have all running at the same time! AND if one poops out on ya you'll always have a spare!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 11:02 AM

i'm on my 3rd Q50. it is a backup to my CO2 tank which is quick and convenient.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 11:34 AM

the Q 50 is not bad for the money
well, that was before they raised the price to $100

Most of the negative reviews on this compressor center around the same problems:

1. The air fittings are a non-standard size, as are the threads on the fittings.
2. The power cord overheats with extended use.
3. When re-starting against a significant head of pressure, the compressor will often blow it's fuse.
4. The relay sometimes fails/melts.
5. The air hose can melt with extended use and/or crack in cold weather.
6. The pressure gauge is inaccurate.

The negative reviews make up about 27% of the 186 product reviews on Amazon, with the remaining 73% being 4 Stars or better.

So, if you are into re-building before you even pump one tire this one is right for you.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/131953-bfads-supe...

Harald Pietschmann
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
the Q 50 is not bad for the money
well, that was before they raised the price to $100

Most of the negative reviews on this compressor center around the same problems:

1. The air fittings are a non-standard size, as are the threads on the fittings.
2. The power cord overheats with extended use.
3. When re-starting against a significant head of pressure, the compressor will often blow it's fuse.
4. The relay sometimes fails/melts.
5. The air hose can melt with extended use and/or crack in cold weather.
6. The pressure gauge is inaccurate.

The negative reviews make up about 27% of the 186 product reviews on Amazon, with the remaining 73% being 4 Stars or better.

So, if you are into re-building before you even pump one tire this one is right for you.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/131953-bfads-supe...

:lol: now that 4runner guy is one nutty tinkerer!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 12:21 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=59459#pid7165...

landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 01:08 PM

Sorry about the broken Pictures link on the Link Woody provided above.

My Mv-50 is still working better than when new, because there are some serious quality control issues with these out of the box.

First, the air filter's inlet holes are all obscured by plastic flashing left over from the mold. Remove these obstructions with a razor knife and it can pump more air and heat up less doing so. Do not use without the air filter!

Second is the 14 awg wiring to the internal relay. They use crimp nuts with NO strain relief where the wires enter the back of the unit. Minor forces can pull the wire from this connector rendering the unit inoperable.

Third the cylinder is not really contacting the finned heat dissipating cylinder head very well, so it does not efficiently transfer heat from the cylinder to the head. Which necessitates short duty cycles to allow the unit to cool down. The bolts holding the head to the unit are either not tightened enough at the factory, or loosen up on their own to a finger tight status, and a portion of the air pumped, can leak out the sides.

The list can go on. Those who have tinkering ability can easily improve this inexpensive compressor into a quality unit, but out of the box they are limited and of dubious reliability.

These have a 30 amp fuse, but pull about 16 to 18 amps at 12.8v, but likely only 10.5v is making it to the motor. Increasing the wire AWG will significantly speed up the motor and inflation times, as well as amp draw as they will spin faster.

I really despised the original tire chuck which needed to be threaded on and would leak if pressure was exerted on the fitting in 8 directions out of 10.

Here one can see the crimp nut inside the plastic housing with no strain relief:

Do not use the unit without the air filter, it will contaminate the cylinder quickly:

When this dirty, it would only pump upto 45 psi or so before just becoming a noise maker.

I retapped the head for 1/4 npt threads so I could use standard air fittings:

But one needs to make sure that the unit cannot build up pressure.

I drilled out a locking tire chuck so that it cannot exceed 150 psi and blow up the unit:

Here one can see 1 area where the cylinder touches the head and a large air filled gap between head and cylinder. I filled these with grease to better transfer heat, and this combined with the 80mm fan, I no longer worry about overheating the unit

I do not use any quick release fittings, and have upgraded the air hose as well to something with a smaller coiled diameter, more flexible, and with less memory.

My other modifications include adding a 12v 80mm fan to blow over the head, using a thick high temp grease between cylinder wall and head to better transfer heat, and upgrading the wiring to 10awg to get more voltage to the motor, and using a higher quality relay and better quick connects on that relay, crimped and soldered for less voltage drop and higher reliability.

I also added a cord grip on the 10 awg power cord so I can swing the unit around by the power cord like a weapon if I had to.

Viair units earned a reputation a while back as they were made in the USA, but like everything else production has moved to Asia, and quality has followed the usual path. They are likely higher quality than the Mv-50 but how much more so I cannot say.

That 12v Puma looks interesting, but is larger than I want to carry around.

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 01:39 PM

Erik,

the compressor you bought barely produces 1 CFM under load
I would expect it to take at least 4 minutes for your tires

I'll do a test run in the afternoon to get real life numbers for the Puma

just looking at the specs the Puma will inflate a pickup tire in 1 minute from 10 psi to 35 psi
this is not counting the restriction imposed by the Schrader valve

let you know later

Thanks, Harald. I'll time my compressor at home. I know it felt like it was slow in the middle of the night at Laguna Chapala...
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 01:58 PM
CFM for the Viair 400P

This just below my posting is information from the Viair website.

I suppose the time it takes to inflate to a reasonable highway tire pressure is quite meaningful to some folks. Whether it is two or four minutes, or even five per tire simply hasn't been that important to me, or others we travel with. As you read the Viair information, note it cautions on use of the hose. I have found what they say to be accurate, and so I carry a spare hose.

John M

400P Portable Compressor
For up to 35" Tires
150 PSI / 2.30 CFM
150 PSI / 2.54 CFM P/N 40043 - 12V
P/N 40050 - 24V

400P is a larger portable compressor kit that can inflate up to a 35-inch tire from 0 to 30 PSI in less than 5 minutes. Used and approved of by off road enthusiasts worldwide, the 400P can save you when you’re miles from home.

Please Note: The air hose supplied with this kit may become brittle from prolonged exposure to UV/sunlight. - Stow when not in use. Never allow the hose to come into contact with the head of the compressor during use (melting hazard). The use of the included air hose is not recommended in sub zero or freezing conditions. The 400P does not work with Presta bicycle valves.

Included Parts:
- 5-in-1 Inflator/Deflator with Inline 100 PSI Gauge
- Vibration-Resistant Diamond-Plate Sand Tray
- Deluxe Dual Compartment Carry Bag
- 40-amp Inline Fuse Holder
- Dual Battery Clamps
- 3 pc. Inflation Tips Kit
- Power Cord: 8 ft.
- Air Hose: 25 ft.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 02:03 PM

interesting that the Q-50 advertises the exact cfm, 2.54. hmmmm....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 02:20 PM

Here's the latest Harbor Freight model: http://www.harborfreight.com/12volt-150-psi-compact-air-comp...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 02:48 PM

Erik mentioned airing up at Chapala - that rang a bell.
I have a picture airing up with the Puma at Chapala
and no, it is not a small compressor
(as often as I use the compressor, I should hardwire an outlet for 12V)

Harald Pietschmann
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 02:59 PM

can you buy the compressor without the tank?
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 03:06 PM

landyacht318 ... nice work and good job :):)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 03:16 PM

Erik mentioned airing up at Chapala - that rang a bell.
I have a picture airing up with the Puma at Chapala
and no, it is not a small compressor
(as often as I use the compressor, I should hardwire an outlet for 12V)

Why doesn't the Beverly Hills station wagon come with a stock built in compressor? For the cost, you should expect such :lol::lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-1-2016 at 03:50 PM

There are 4x4s with built in tire inflators/ deflators you control from the dashboard! That would be so sweet as often as us Baja off roads change the tire pressure. Most of my past flat tires were the result of my not wanting to be bothered with the process of dropping pressure for the graded roads.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.