Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: I See Crazy People
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-2-2016 at 02:32 PM

Rip to Cabo is indeed a young man's X-treme run and not for most Baja travelers. Trail of Missions is slower paced, for families. Do know in both tours, Cameron donates tens of thousands of dollars to Baja orphanages. That's one way he gives back for all the joy Baja has given him and his guests.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 07:56 PM

The biggest problem with this group.No leadership,they have the worst safety record of any tour group.Off road dirt bike is one of the most demanding sports in the world.Also the most dangerous.Only you can protect yourself while riding.Accidents can happen,but they are helped along.When you have large,group with no one at the helm.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 07:19 AM

What do they do with the old oil after the oil changes in the desert?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 07:40 AM

I wonder if they use the same ecological safeguards that all the ranchers and village mechanics have the past nearly one hundred years since automobiles, trucks, and tractors have been down there?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
That is easy put it in 5 gal container.Bring it back to Pep Boys for free disposal.What Kind of silly question is that.:?:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
That is easy put it in 5 gal container.Bring it back to Pep Boys for free disposal.What Kind of silly question is that.:?:

Silly? Mr. Knowitall. . In the video you see the oil being changed into a pan...nothing else. Did the helicopter bring it back to PepBoys? Maybe they had 10 5 gallon cans for all the bikes.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 09:02 AM

You need an oil change for ride of this length? What wimpy bikes! Next they'll need showers and toilet paper for the riders.
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 09:17 AM

You know, if these guys were on mules...there would be no worry about oil changes......:lol:

and the view is so much better....

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 09:21 AM

Was talking with a couple of mule riders up near Eastanislau bringing in firewood with three pack mules as well as the two riding animals. One of them patted his mount and said, "Reliable. Like a Toyota!"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
Was talking with a couple of mule riders up near Eastanislau bringing in firewood with three pack mules as well as the two riding animals. One of them patted his mount and said, "Reliable. Like a Toyota!"

:light::cool:

ILikeMex
Nomad

Mood: Whishing I was there

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 11:30 AM

Some pretty harsh comments against people enjoying Baja. Doesn't seem like the Baja way, just because they are enjoying it differently than you like to do it.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 01:35 PM

It's hard for me to see that they are enjoying Baja, per se. What are they doing that is different from snorting around in the desert nearer home?

I see a lot of reports that include making it from one end of Baja to the other in just a few days or even a week or two. It is impossible to see anything at that speed.

Again and again I will be at the bike shop here in Mulege and see one dual sport or adventure bike after another zooming past so rapidly that they don't notice the bikes and the shop. Baja is more than Rt.1. I am sad that they are spending all that time and money for such a bland experience.

Slow down. Meet the rancheros. Listen to the desert. Maybe do a smaller part each year. Are you dying and this is in your bucket list? Chose quality over quantity.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 03:24 PM

Baja is many things to many people...

Many got their introduction to Baja BECAUSE of the races like the Baja 1000, including the host of this forum!

Later, these racers come back to Baja, as they fell in love with her just to discover her mysteries they couldn't appreciate when racing.

These racers and former racers (and race supporters and spectators) keep coming back to Baja and they spend LOTS of money in Baja, which helps the PEOPLE of Baja.

There are too many race-related Baja Nomads here to list, but I see several every week here sharing their trips, stories or assistance with others.

It is possible to enjoy hearing about racing or fishing or surfing or muleback riding and not do any of them and yet have your own reasons for going to Baja, yes?

Baja is a magic peninsula because it offers so much to so many.

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 04:56 PM

I have friends for whom the racing experience is paramount. B.F. Goodrich Bill is a ham friend and most of his Baja interest is around the racing.

That said, when a race comes down here it is mostly a negative experience for the Mexicans and the non-racers. After a race goes through that road is usually a write off. Silt two feet deep and whoops in which you can loose your rig.

The racing crowd seems to be either driving through here at high speeds or drinking. Grow Up! I acted that way when I was in high school but I got over it. The "Far out man!" and "Really cool!" stuff went out of style with grownups thirty+ years ago along with mullets and polyester shirts. I'm having to listen to a bunch of aging drunks across the water from me at the sports bar right now. Whoever invented Karaoke should be drowned.

Yeah, there are many different ways to enjoy Baja but most of them have a much smaller footprint. As to bringing money to Baja, A couple of retirees dragging a fifth wheel for a few weeks spend as much as a racer and hardly ever go through Mulege going 80 at three in the morning.

If I sound a bit grumpy today, it's a valid observation. I didn't come here to lay my trip on anyone else. I'm getting their trip pushed in my face.

I actually had a ranchero thank me for closing his gate two days ago. The last couple of groups to Mission Guadalupe left it open and his cattle ended up in the fenced area. He knows better and they didn't.

We can co-exist if the high speed crowd would grow up a bit and be better visitors.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 05:24 PM

The 1000 race first ran as an organized event in 1967... Some speed runs ran even before then to see how quickly one could get fro Tijuana to La Paz when only 200 miles were pavement.

With the new highway (end of 1973), different routes from north to south were utilized to maintain a mostly dirt route. If pit teams and chase crews using the highway exceed a safe speed, then it would seem the windfall from writing tickets could go a long way to help the local economy... and slow the people down!? Right?

If you moved to Mulegé after 1972, then you came with Baja races already part of the norm and a paved highway through your town. To me, that's kind of like buying a home below to an airport's flight path then complaining about the noise. No excuse for bad behavior by race people, but they may be young and have to learn still?

I am sure a compromise can be developed. The 1000 races don't go down there every year and the race is actually on the Pacific side of the sierra from you. Say hi to Wild Bill (on the radio) for me, he brought me my first ballena of Pacifico to my home back about 17 years ago when we met.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 06:08 PM

Silly? Mr. Knowitall. . In the video you see the oil being changed into a pan...nothing else. Did the helicopter bring it back to PepBoys? Maybe they had 10 5 gallon cans for all the bikes.
Silly boy,They bring it back.Here is where all my used oil goes.The poor Mexicans,around here.Drive trucks on there last leg.I give them all used motor oil.They re use it in there junks.Do you need a video on that to Num Nuts.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 06:33 PM

Silly boy,They bring it back.Here is where all my used oil goes.The poor Mexicans,around here.Drive trucks on there last leg.I give them all used motor oil.They re use it in there junks.Do you need a video on that to Num Nuts.

Ahhh. Low intelligence knows no boundary.

[Edited on 1-22-2016 by rts551]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 06:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The 1000 race first ran as an organized event in 1967... Some speed runs ran even before then to see how quickly one could get fro Tijuana to La Paz when only 200 miles were pavement.

With the new highway (end of 1973), different routes from north to south were utilized to maintain a mostly dirt route. If pit teams and chase crews using the highway exceed a safe speed, then it would seem the windfall from writing tickets could go a long way to help the local economy... and slow the people down!? Right?

If you moved to Mulegé after 1972, then you came with Baja races already part of the norm and a paved highway through your town. To me, that's kind of like buying a home below to an airport's flight path then complaining about the noise. No excuse for bad behavior by race people, but they may be young and have to learn still?

I am sure a compromise can be developed. The 1000 races don't go down there every year and the race is actually on the Pacific side of the sierra from you. Say hi to Wild Bill (on the radio) for me, he brought me my first ballena of Pacifico to my home back about 17 years ago when we met.

David.....Tickets...slow the people down? come on. we both have been there.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 06:45 PM

Yes, cops on the highway slows down everyone... works 100% of the time... writing tickets has an even longer lasting effect!

Are things different in your bizarro world?

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 06:47 PM

I am not a racer.....was a competitive speedskater when I was a kid in Manitoba and realized back then that finishing in the top three was cool, but not the end of the world when I didn't (usually 2nd or 3rd most often....)

So my initial posting was intended to show some riding in Baja and some of the geography, familiar and new. I used the "See Crazy People" , not as a jab at the Rip To Tip mentality (which I am not a fan of how that type of show goes, but as a tongue-in-cheek reference to "going for it" in a manner which some people think is crazy....and as the forum has indicated, some others have strong feelings about it all.

I love riding in Baja....just because I love being in Baja and getting "out and away"....and a moto is my best way to do it.

My second choice would be coastal travel and camping by boat....my first time in Baja was 1989 was two weeks kayaking Isla Espiritu Santu and three weeks camping by hitchhiking around south cape....

As others have said, I too prefer riding with no more than several others who are willing to stop, take pics, visit and smell the cactus.

There are yahoos in any sector of life....they are not confined to the racer community.....drunks bragging about their fish catch of the day can be just as offensive and annoying....or whatever activity of interest.

There is no "Right" way to do this....we all have our preferences and prejudices....

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.