Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Heading south
jkruk
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 10:24 AM
Heading south

Anyone traveling south next week? Leaving Tahoe Tuesday leisure trip to San Diego cross Thursday / catavina/mulege.?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 02:53 PM

would you ask another car to drive with you to Las Vegas?

Do you think Mexicans ask someone to travel with them from La Paz to Ensenada?
Would a Mexican ask someone to drive from Ensenada to Las Vegas?

Why are Americans are so afraid of the rest of the world? They have everything we all have. Same cars. Same gas. Same (kinda) food. Same drinks. Same effed up banks. They use bathrooms, sleep in beds, brush their teeth, drive their kids to school.

One thing is scary, they are very kind and friendly.

Harald Pietschmann
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Why are Americans are so afraid of the rest of the world? They have everything we all have. Same cars. Same gas. Same (kinda) food. Same drinks. Same effed up banks. They use bathrooms, sleep in beds, brush their teeth, drive their kids to school.

hum...someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today.

people have lots of reasons for seeking company for a trip, anywhere. thats why there's a forum here: Baja Shared Travel, Ride-Alongs, Convoys. hope you find what you are looking for, jkruk

[Edited on 1-12-2016 by rhintransit]

[Edited on 1-12-2016 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 03:36 PM

OK, I'll go back to bed.

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Hey crank old man,
Why do you off roaders travel in packs like girls go to the bathroom at restaurants?

P.s I know a some Mexicans that would ask for company traveling from Ensenada to Las Vegas, they just prefer to travel with another instead of alone.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 04:43 PM

It is not always about a concern for safety! My parents spent most winters on the road throughout the southwest and Mexico through the 60s and 70s, and then started doing summer trips to the north when my dad retired.

They did solo trips sometimes, but they frequently did convoys (sometimes leading them) with other travel minded folks. It was a social thing in the days of cheap gas and CB radios. Every stop was pretty much a meet and greet, and my mom was a world class talker! My dad's ears also got a well deserved change of pace.

My trips tend to be unplanned getaways (dental vacations excepted) so convoys aren't my thing. Traveling alone with a dog is getting a little old, so I may look for a travel partner on my next trip, but it would have nothing to do with safety!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 05:08 PM

We do have fun when camping with others and doing convoys to exotic places like Mission Santa Marķa and The Pole Line Road are not for any concerns about safety from Mexicans, but for safety for getting out of there. It is a lot of fun to travel off road and camp together with other Baja Nomads. Campfire time is the best. Hear Baja Bucko as she sings to us at Mission Santa Marķa in 2010 on the YouTube posted.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jkruk
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 06:46 PM
Boy?

Thank you for the support! Older truck, 70 being caucious , enjoy the rest try the other side
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 07:37 PM

Tahoe to San Diego is a long haul this time of year if the weather doesn't co-operate. Have done it several times. Please re-asses your timeline from crossing the border (San Ysidro) to Mulege in one day. You really don't want to be on Mex 1 in the dark

Quote: Originally posted by jkruk  
Anyone traveling south next week? Leaving Tahoe Tuesday leisure trip to San Diego cross Thursday / catavina/mulege.?
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 09:54 PM

...I wouldn't mind going convoy across LA next time I go,,,the place scares the heck outta me :(

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2016 at 08:45 AM

Some people need to change the channel on their TV. I don't see that kind of news. Last I saw was a little blurb on the Australians murdered in Sinaloa and a little on the economy of Nogales.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-13-2016 at 11:50 AM

I don't get some of the border line rude answers. I personally have driven down Baja numerous times alone but it is also nice to travel with friends. Safety in numbers!

Not so much personal safety but I haven't seen to many AAA trucks to call or CHP that will assist you if you are pulled over on the 4-6 lane highway.

The cell phone service is a little sketchy.(getting much better though)

It was a legitimate question with mostly non helpful answers, come on people, a little compassion and help here.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2016 at 01:09 PM

Tenure usually blinds one to the fact that they were once among the uninformed. Kind words go a lot farther, something this sad world is in dire need of.

Regards,
Keith
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2016 at 01:30 PM

Can't deny the opinions of others. They're allowed.
Censorship, however, is not.
Just read through them, and move on.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2016 at 03:05 PM

Adults should be capable of offering opinions in a mature and respectable tone, I think we all learned about that in high school debate class. Censorship is a weak crutch, used often to excuse and encourage bad behaviour.. One only needs to watch some of the present debates in the political arena to see that the art of respectable debate is on the endangered etiquette list.

I apologise to the OP for sidelining his thread, just had to spit out that hairball.

Regards,
Keith
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-13-2016 at 03:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  

...I wouldn't mind going convoy across LA next time I go,,,the place scares the heck outta me :(

That's why, coming south, we take 58 east at Bakersfield to 395, than to 15 all the way to the border.

Last month I tried to be smart and cut of some mileage and took 210, thinking there be light traffic on a Saturday. Mistake. Got caught in a traffic jam at Pasadena/Altadena for over 2 hours. And no accident, just to many vehicles for the road to handle.

[Edited on 1-13-2016 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2016 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
Quote: Originally posted by micah202  

That's why, coming south, we take 58 east at Bakersfield to 395, than to 15 all the way to the border.

Last month I tried to be smart and cut of some mileage and took 210, thinking there be light traffic on a Saturday. Mistake. Got caught in a traffic jam at Pasadena/Altadena for over 2 hours. And no accident, just to many vehicles for the road to handle.

[Edited on 1-13-2016 by vandenberg]

Sounds like there might have been a game at the Rose Bowl as it usually is not that bad through that area on a Sat. unless there is a game or another event at the Rose Bowl. Of course if it is opening day at Santa Anita, the traffic around Arcadia is awful.

From where we are, we usually take 395 and 15, but I really dislike the construction right now around the Cajon Pass. But, we still prefer to go that way.

During the winter, one does need to watch the weather as it can snow on the 58 in the Tehachapi area and on the Cajon Pass.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.