BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: My 9 day road trip plan, any suggestions?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 01:12 AM

Here's a shot facing south... This was in June, 1985... That was my 4WD Subaru!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 01:46 AM
Mr. 9 day trip

Hey 9 day

Everyone has given you fabulous advice on where to go. I made the trip from here in Oregon to Mulege 5 times in my truck last year and the hardest part of the drive is thru the LA basin, no not Bay of LA . If you hit the traffic it could tweak your fine-tuned plans. My advice is to take the 210 fwy(the Foothill Fwy) south around I-5 and then west on the 15 , use the 805 south which leads into the TJ Border . I have done this a number of times and its less stressful and faster. A lot depends on what time o day you travel. Once you get across the border, take the toll-road if you are not familiar with the libre (free) road which runs alongside. I would advise not driving at night for many good reasons so make sure you get up EARLY so you can reach you destination.. But if u make it as far as Ensenada its a good 12-14 hour drive from the Bay area. Bring 5 gals of gas in case Catavina Pemex is closed. Muchas Suerto.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 08:28 AM

The Catavina Pemex will be closed, but Alfredo will be selling gas across the street... However, if he fills up in El Rosario there is no need for Catavina, and he can make the Eagle Monument station easily.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 08:42 AM
Stinson Beach?

Now that little hamburger shack across from the park doesn?t sell Fish Tacos! Stinson Beach in a nice place to swim. We make the Olema Camp our base settlement when we are on the peninsula.
Alfonsina's at Gonzaga Bay is a real nice spot too (as David K says), but you need to go over to Punta Final a few miles south. A settlement there, great for Kayak, close shore fishing, swimming. They have a camp there with toilets.
I don?t know what days you are going to Baja, but we will be on ?bout? the same road as you on Feb 5th. If you see a Safari looking white Land Rover, stop us and have a Fish Taco n Pepsi. Fair Travels Amigo!
briangriffen

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 12:33 PM

i bet those beaches where alot less crowded in 1985, i wish i was there then:coolup:

[Edited on 1-27-2005 by briangriffen]
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 12:41 PM

Unless you get a charge out of rounded lumps of adobe, I wouldn't bother with San Fernando. Have a great trip!

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 10:04 PM
Playa Coyote

We spent some time last February at Playa Conception. Most beautiful spot.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 07:08 AM

Couldn't agree more, Natalie Ann....walk by and say hello.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 08:31 AM
hey Pompano...

From Gonzaga Bay to Playa Coyote....how many hours is it (we have a 4w)? Got a route you advise?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Unless you get a charge out of rounded lumps of adobe, I wouldn't bother with San Fernando. Have a great trip!

bajalera

Now, now Lera... be nice! It is a historic location and was the FIRST California mission founded by the Franciscan Padre Junipero Serra (not San Diego as so many history books site)! Then there is the petroglyphs a mile west of the mission that makes a nice walk. Also, it is only 3 miles from Hwy. 1.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 08:45 AM

San Fernando about 80 years ago...

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 10:07 AM

Pompano - That's a beautiful image of Playa Coyote - do you remember approximately when it was taken? I know exactly where you were standing but my photo like that seems different, moe crowded..... I'll post it if I can find it.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.