BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Constitution cops... Again.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
don't get all excited...until you see this video...

or

did he fib to the cop...and then...
is reeljob telling a fib here to get everyone
worked up again

just because its printed on the internet doesn't mean its true or real

Thank you very good post.

I don't know how many times I have seen forum members at various Baja forums, claim they made corrupt Mexican cops back down from their bribe attempt.

After reading these reports it makes me wonder why some of these corrupt Mexican cops even try to attempt to shake down an American tourists, because it seems they get backed down all the time.

Obviously, not all the tourists are making corrupt Mexican cops back down, because it still goes on from time to time in certain cities in Mexico.

That said, I still rather be pulled over by a Mexican cop than a US cop with a unwritten traffic tickets quota to make. Because if a US cop pulls you over, it's going to cost around $400 dollars after paying the fine and signing up for traffic school.

At least with the Mexican cop, I might be able to get out of the so-called traffic infraction, with a $20 dollar payment that I pay the Mexican cop directly.

I don't know if Reeljob, is telling the truth or not, but it's more likely if that stop actually occurred, he just told the cop he recorded the whole event on video, than if he actually recorded it.

I think it's a personal choice to pay a bribe or now. If you stand up to a corrupt cop, more than likely they will eventually back down, but you will be pressured. So I have nothing against paying a bribe.

What I do suggest if you do decide to pay a bribe, is get the corrupt cop to negotiate for a lessor amount. They might ask for $100 dollars, but will probably settle for $20 to $40 dollars

But what I wouldn't do is follow some advice from some Yahoo on the internet that tells you to never pay a bribe because they always stand up to corrupt Mexican cops. You don't really know if they stand up to the cops or not. Chances are when a corrupt cops stops them, they lose bowel control, and quickly pay a bribe even if the Mexican cop didn't hint for a bribe.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2016 at 05:27 PM

All this excitement about corrupt Mexican traffic cops, while the cartels keep on going, and keep on going.

Reminds me of some of those websites, that I do not personally subscribe to, about the US shadow government that actually calls all the shots about what happens despite an elected government.

Maybe the internet should be condemned for all the upset it has created. Seriously, although the internet has done so much to improve the quality of life, it has also created an ability for the disenfranchised and hate mongers to communicate.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 08:00 AM

Damn a 400 hundred dollar ticket ...:biggrin: What the heck were you doing on the road to get that much of a ticket .

I think a speeding ticket here in colorado is about 50 bucks .
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ligui  
Damn a 400 hundred dollar ticket ...:biggrin: What the heck were you doing on the road to get that much of a ticket .

I've gotten one speeding ticket in the past 45 years of driving, 3.5 years ago in the USA. Went to court to get it reduced to less than 10 mph over the limit so it cost $125. My insurance company raised my rates for the next 5 years until it comes off my record. You pay much more for a speeding ticket than the price of the LEO.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
don't get all excited...until you see this video...

or

did he fib to the cop...and then...
is reeljob telling a fib here to get everyone
worked up again

just because its printed on the internet doesn't mean its true or real

Thank you very good post.

I don't know how many times I have seen forum members at various Baja forums, claim they made corrupt Mexican cops back down from their bribe attempt.

After reading these reports it makes me wonder why some of these corrupt Mexican cops even try to attempt to shake down an American tourists, because it seems they get backed down all the time.

Obviously, not all the tourists are making corrupt Mexican cops back down, because it still goes on from time to time in certain cities in Mexico.

That said, I still rather be pulled over by a Mexican cop than a US cop with a unwritten traffic tickets quota to make. Because if a US cop pulls you over, it's going to cost around $400 dollars after paying the fine and signing up for traffic school.

At least with the Mexican cop, I might be able to get out of the so-called traffic infraction, with a $20 dollar payment that I pay the Mexican cop directly.

I don't know if Reeljob, is telling the truth or not, but it's more likely if that stop actually occurred, he just told the cop he recorded the whole event on video, than if he actually recorded it.

I think it's a personal choice to pay a bribe or now. If you stand up to a corrupt cop, more than likely they will eventually back down, but you will be pressured. So I have nothing against paying a bribe.

What I do suggest if you do decide to pay a bribe, is get the corrupt cop to negotiate for a lessor amount. They might ask for $100 dollars, but will probably settle for $20 to $40 dollars

But what I wouldn't do is follow some advice from some Yahoo on the internet that tells you to never pay a bribe because they always stand up to corrupt Mexican cops. You don't really know if they stand up to the cops or not. Chances are when a corrupt cops stops them, they lose bowel control, and quickly pay a bribe even if the Mexican cop didn't hint for a bribe.

About 2 month ago I got pulled over on my way to the Sentri lane in San Ysidro on an early weekend morning. The cops says "I pulled you over for speed and I can smell alcohol." Speeding? ..... I plead the quinta, but I called him out that he did not smell booze because I was on my way to work and hadn't had a drink for days. "Maybe it's your after shave." Right, that must be it. I paid the mordida because I was running late and I may or may not have been guilty. I think it was $20.

Cops 1 - Gringo 0
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 1-18-2016 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ligui  

I was caught in a speed trap by the CHP where a 40 mph street suddenly changes to a 25 hour mph because of a few houses on the end part of that street, and the CHP knows they can write a lot of tickets in the area because of the natural speed trap unknown motorist don't see.

I guess you don't live in California, or Los Angeles county like I do, or else if you receive a traffic ticket, you could be facing fines and added fees of between $300 and $500 dollars.

Take a look at this article where I highlighted a main point:

The average traffic ticket has skyrocketed thanks to state legislation jacking up fees to backfill court budget holes. As a result, a $100 ticket is $490 with all the add-ons.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-traffic-tick...

However, I consider myself lucky, because if I was black living in a place like Ferguson. The DOJ came out with a report a few months ago showing the local police, judge, and city government were in cahoots against the citizens of Ferguson, where the police would pull over blacks over dubious or minor infractions so they could hit them with high traffic fines, and in some case put the citizens in debtors' prison when they couldn't pay these high fines and add-ons that compound when you can't pay a traffic ticket.

So give me a corrupt TJ cop, over a supposedly law abiding US cop with a radar gun in his hand any day of the week.

At least I could tell a Mexican cop, to write me the ticket and I'll mail it in, or follow him to see a judge and then pay a small traffic fee. However, if I'm in a hurry, or don't want to be bothered, I could just ask the Mexican cop is it OK to just pay him directly and then give him $20 dollars, and be on my way. ( a better way is wait to them to hint for a bribe)

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-18-2016 at 04:03 PM

Since when or where does the HIGHWAY PATROL give speeding tickets on a CITY street? Unless that street happens to also be a California State Highway and there is no local police or Sheriff department?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 1-19-2016 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Since when or where does the HIGHWAY PATROL give speeding tickets on a CITY street? Unless that street happens to also be a California State Highway and there is no local police or Sheriff department?

The California Highway Patrol has jurisdiction all over California highways, and acts as the state police. The CHP also has authority in the entire state, and they can pull you over anyplace in California.

However, in my case, I believe the CHP was acting in the capacity of the state police in a kind of rural area on a short cut street off the main highway.

A couple of years ago I was on the freeway and I passed up a city street cop going about 70mph. A female city street cop pulled me over, because she could not believe I passed up a police officer in their patrol car.

After I showed her I was remorseful and forgot she was there, she left me off with a warning. So cops will cross their normal jurisdictions and can pull you over and write you traffic tickets. A CHP officer will rarely if ever let you off with a warning on a freeway because of the danger of pulling you over on a freeway.

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-19-2016 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The CHP mantra is "Any Road, Any Code." They can and do write speeding tickets on our local streets and also are the primary parking ticket enforcers in unincorporated areas at least in San Luis Obispo County.
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 09:23 AM

What is a Mexican cop doing with U.S. dollars on his possession unless he's recently pulled over a vehicle & "copped" a bribe from an American. Wonder how many Canadians have tried to pay them with Canadian dollars? Maybe I should travel with some Canadian dollars, and if pulled over, offer him a Canadian twenty dollar bill.????? Anyone tried this one???
cocomo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 08:53 AM

Thank you for the notice on the traffic cops in Constitucion. I will video with my phone when I go through. It's a great idea!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 09:34 AM

A whole lot of what is suggested here is Keyboard Kourage...Its easy to be brave when you don't have 2 big cops with guns leaning in your window. "Don't mess with me, I'm taking your picture"? May get you a trip to the proctologist to get your camera removed, or worse.....

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
A whole lot of what is suggested here is Keyboard Kourage...Its easy to be brave when you don't have 2 big cops with guns leaning in your window. "Don't mess with me, I'm taking your picture"? May get you a trip to the proctologist to get your camera removed, or worse.....

Yeah and it sure sounds like you're suggesting tourists just bend over and take it with a smile? Just another form of courage, eh?

Assuming the camera story is true, it worked with at least one cop. No harm in trying it with other cops.

And Chuckie? I get out of my vehicle and stand face to face with cops when I'm speaking with them. And I'm not intimidated by cops with guns. Sounds like you are?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 10:44 AM

FYI- in Baja it's mordida. In CA, the problem is the state and local law enforcement agencies are becoming accustomed to all that revenue from these tickets- $130 million last year.

But there is a proposal to reduce at least one penalty in California:

"$500 fine for red-light 'California stops' excessive?
Jerry Hill says the punishment should be halved

A San Mateo state senator is renewing his effort to have the $500 fine for "California stop" red-light violations reduced to a sum that low-income people can afford.

Sen. Jerry Hill thinks the current punishment for the slow, rolling right-hand turns doesn't fit the crime. He introduced legislation last week that would cut the fine in half.

In California, a red-light violation costs a driver about $500, by far the highest fine in the nation, according to the traffic-watch site TheNewspaper.com. The fine is a whopping $540 in Hill's district in San Mateo County. In most states, it's around $100.

"Many people are making $3,000 a month, $2,500 and when you take taxes, their net take-home pay, this is over a fourth of what they take home," Hill told ABC 7.

In 2014, Redflex Traffic System, which administers the red-light camera ticketing program for the city of San Mateo, issued 4,462 tickets worth $2.4 million, according to TheNewspaper. Sixty-three percent of these tickets went to drivers who made "California stops," also known as "Hollywood stops."

The exorbitant fine can make drivers reluctant to make even legal right-hand turns at red-light camera intersections, causing traffic to back up behind them. Would you trust a camera to recognize that you came to full stop before turning?

This isn't the first time Hill has tackled the fine in the Legislature. A bill authored as an assemblyman passed in 2010, but then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed it, arguing a reduced fine would send the wrong message to drivers about traffic safety.

State Sen. Joe Simitian, D-Palo Alto, took a cut at the issue in 2013, writing a bill to prohibit use of the camera tickets merely to raise revenue, and to make it easier to fight them in court. But Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed it.

"There are accuracy issues, privacy issues and due process issues with these tickets," Simitian told the Chronicle's Kevin Fagan. "The trouble is that more and more cities depend on this for revenue."

Simitian does not advocate that red-light cameras should be eliminated, saying they do have a safety value. "I just don't think the current system gives the public a fair shake," he said.

The state Department of Finance estimated in 2014 that red-light cameras bring in more than $80 million annually to the state and $50 million to cities and counties.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 10:51 AM

WOW! That Lee is really a tough guy...mano a mano.....I'm impressed!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 10:55 AM

Red light cameras are a scam.....and in some cases the citations issued are probably not valid.

Many municipalities are removing the cameras as they are not "cost effective"........the municipality still gets charged $$$ from the camera company if the citation is dismissed.

However, if you run a red light or make a "California Stop" you deserve the citation
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 12:57 PM

Your comments are off the mark, Chuck. Want to explain your point in your other post?

I'm not that tough. Men with guns don't intimidate me. I know that's not the case with everyone.

People get courage somewhere. Sometimes in life experiences, sometimes it comes with practice.

I've been intimidated once in Baja. South of TJ, 5am, red flares set out on the road with barricades, 2 men dressed in black wearing balaclavas, surrounded by other men with rifles, stopping me in an RV. Let's say I was pensive. They had me, checked me out, let me go, but I was definitely not comfortable.

Seriously, it's best to prepare mentally down here for cops and I believe in calling bluffs. Just how I am. If I'm guilty of something, I pay up. I don't pay scams.

I also believe psychologically I am on equal footing speaking with a cop face to face, standing, rather than sitting inside a vehicle.

It really is a man to man thing. Not a problem for me.

PS -- ask Dennis if cops with guns intimidate him?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 01:10 PM

I recounted, several months ago, my shakedown experience of Sept. 2014. Was I intimidated? Yes .Did I pay? yes. Given the same circumstances would I do the same thing? yes. I don't need to explain or apologize to anyone.

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 02:18 PM

The ostensible purpose of traffic fines is to deter certain behaviors. $400 to me is a lot. $400 to Mr. Gates is pocket lint.

In much of Scandinavia the fines are proportionate to your income. The head of Nokia got busted for speeding in 2002 and his fine was $103,000.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/38660951/ns/world_news-europe/t/sw...

I like it!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 02:23 PM

I guess you should carry around your W-2 form

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
The ostensible purpose of traffic fines is to deter certain behaviors. $400 to me is a lot. $400 to Mr. Gates is pocket lint.

In much of Scandinavia the fines are proportionate to your income. The head of Nokia got busted for speeding in 2002 and his fine was $103,000.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/38660951/ns/world_news-europe/t/sw...

I like it!
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.