BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Finally, a Jeep Pickup by 2019!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-14-2016 at 10:49 AM
Finally, a Jeep Pickup by 2019!

Willys/ Jeep, Kaiser/ Jeep, AMC/ Jeep... all had pickups... AMC dropped the full-size Gladiator truck with the introduction of the Comanche, but when Chrysler took over, the Jeep Comanche small truck was dropped since Dodge was already filling that need for them with the Dakota.

Well, Fiat owns Jeep now and like a Spaghetti Western, the Italians are going American with a pickup, based on the Wrangler and will be built in Toledo, OH at the Jeep factory.

Will it look like one of the concepts we have seen? Two door? Four door?

The story is at Four Wheeler: http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1601-breaking-jeep-wrangler-...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-14-2016 at 11:01 AM

Cool looking, but I doubt that I'll replace my capable FJ cruiser.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2016 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Cool looking, but I doubt that I'll replace my capable FJ cruiser.

I agree, Jeeps have always rated high on my "cool looking ORV index", but lacking the quality of a Toyota, I also will stay with my Tacoma. That Fiat runs Jeep now isn't exactly helping the reputation, but I will try and remain open-minded about the changes. I am no fan of the Fiat-Jeep Renegade, however.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-14-2016 at 12:01 PM

Looks like a land rover imitation. What is less dependable, land rover or jeep? I will stick to toyota!

The backseat looks like it only fits midgets.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-14-2016 at 12:26 PM

Oh boy....here comes all the huffing and puffing about whose rig is best....of course it's the one you own :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2016 at 01:36 PM

David wrote
I agree, Jeeps have always rated high on my "cool looking ORV index", but lacking the quality of a Toyota, I also will stay with my Tacoma. That Fiat runs Jeep now isn't exactly helping the reputation, but I will try and remain open-minded
=========
Quality has many measures and the devil is in the details. Jeeps in general have poor reliability rating by Consumer Reports. 2 door Wanglers are rated better than average and the 4 door is slightly less. Thus the huge sales for those two models. And sure enough there are many satisfied owners of those two models. Best of all they come equipped with correct stuff many demand and are not found on most trucks. The Durango has the best rating of all Jeeps.
Yup, for reliability rating Toyota wins. For performance rating not so good.
Selling vehicles that tax the ability to keep up with the demand results in poor quality and lots of glitches from the various vendors.

[Edited on 1-14-2016 by PaulW]
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2016 at 02:59 PM

I learned my Jeep lesson with my first 4x4. It was a 1967 Kaiser/Jeep pickup. That POS over head cam straight six was the worst motor I`ve ever dealt with:mad:. Nice looking truck though;).
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-14-2016 at 03:00 PM

I checked at the coffee shop and couldn't find anyone who has been holding their breath waiting for a Jeep PU....

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-14-2016 at 03:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
I learned my Jeep lesson with my first 4x4. It was a 1967 Kaiser/Jeep pickup. That POS over head cam straight six was the worst motor I`ve ever dealt with:mad:. Nice looking truck though;).

The military version of that truck that we had in Korea in 1969 removed all comfortable amenities, and combined the unreliable drive train with absolutely brutal suspension!

Nobody was eager to get them out of the motor pool when they went in for repairs, and any units still using the old M36 trucks from the 50s hung on to them as long as possible.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2016 at 03:59 PM
Full size Jeep Racing Truck...

Here's a photo taken by Nomad 'La Tijereta' of Roger Mears (also a Nomad) racing a Jeep J10 Honcho truck to a victory at the 1979 Baja 1000...

Here's a photo from a newer owner of that truck, so he says...
Roger Mears’ 1978 Jeep Baja 1000 Class Winner

"This 1978 Jeep Honcho pick-up is said to be the chassis and cab that Roger Mears and Mike Moore took to a class 3 victory at the 1979 Baja 1000 and a SCORE victory at Riverside Raceway. It has been modernized with coils but still looks great, and Google reveals some discussion and period photos here and an older listing here in 2010. "

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-14-2016 at 04:43 PM

1979?....Yaaaawn. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2016 at 08:27 PM

Hopefully Jeep does a pickup on the Wrangler chassis. I have had 3 Wranglers and have been pretty hard on them and never had a reliability issue.
On a side note- My father in law has had a few Toyotas and has had fairly serious problems with each of them including his 2014 Tacoma (transfer case failure-dealer replaced).
I will cross my fingers about the factory Wrangler pickup.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-14-2016 at 09:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

Well, wrangler hasn't changed in 30 years. Still a heep.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 12:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

Well, wrangler hasn't changed in 30 years. Still a heep.

Yes, the Wrangler was created in almost 30 years ago in 1986 but it indeed has changed... from YJ to TJ (in 1995) to the bigger JK (in 2006).

The Wrangler YJ replaced the CJ-7 (born in 1976) which was a slightly longer version of the long-running CJ-5 (1954-1983).

captain.olives

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 09:14 AM

I'm pretty sure thats still the AEV Brute and not Jeep's actual work. They work very closely with Jeep. Its been available for those with the disposable cash for some time nw (like $80K +/-) and available with a diesel, albeit not a small diesel. Thats just not my tax bracket unfortunately.

Been hearing the "confirmed" Jeep direct model rumor for a couple years now from senior mgt. Just waiting for Jeep to actually follow through, hopefully on the next model major redesign.

While we are wishing, dreaming, hoping.... I'd like to see it with a small clean (ok.... real clean not VW clean) efficient diesel or small gas engine mated to that 8spd auto and get 30mpg. Lots of us dont need to pull 10k lbs, but want a small four door pickup that can carry dirtbikes, boards, camping gear etc capably overland for great distances efficiently. I know its a small niche market... but I cant be alone.

The Taco really is the best choice now. Hopefully there is more options in the future. In the interim, would love to figure out how to import a Land Rover Dender 130 double cab pickup. :biggrin: Not going to happen in California... so I guess I am stuck with my old Disco II for a few more years.

[Edited on 1-20-2016 by captain.olives]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 09:45 AM

I really loved my 1957 FC-150 Jeep because I could see every rock on the trail in front of me + lot's of room for big Mule Deer in back. I swapped out the 4 cylinder flat head for a 283ci Chevy V8 and added overdrive for highway cruising.

Bob Durrell
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 10:40 AM
Jeep Pickup

I had a 1955 Willis Jeep pickup it came with the Hurricane 226 cid. engine which was one of the most used industrial engines of that time when I restored it I put a Warren Over Drive in it and turned if from a 55mph. truck to a 70 mph . truck it was a good looking little truck.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 01:03 PM

I have seen the FC-170 or 150 Forward Control Jeep Truck turned into a camper/ motorhome once... How perfect for space utilization and visibility climbing grades as Robert said.

Keep the Jeep pickup history coming!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 02:06 PM
Roller coaster

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I have seen the FC-170 or 150 Forward Control Jeep Truck turned into a camper/ motorhome once... How perfect for space utilization and visibility climbing grades as Robert said.

Keep the Jeep pickup history coming!

Which is scarier, going up the cog rail climb on a roller caster, or plunging down the other side?

That is kind of how I felt when I briefly owned one of those cab over jeeps in the mid 70s. Unless I had a pretty good load in it, it was almost a choice between braking or steering. Also, sitting right over the front springs tends to maximize the bounce factor.

It was my first 4x4, and I admit it was at the bottom end of the condition scale when I got it, But I don't miss it!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 03:29 PM

They are so odd looking, but the off roading concept (at slow speed, of course) is way cool... No mystery of where your front tires are going, because you are forward of them!

Jeep recently created an FC concept truck...

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.