BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Whale lagoon Ojo de Liebre has nearly 600 whales now!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 12:02 PM
Whale lagoon Ojo de Liebre has nearly 600 whales now!

I just returned from another Whale Magic trip in laguna Ojo de Liebre near Guerrero Negro and the first census was done on January 12th recording very high numbers of whales for so early in the season. There were 376 adults and a record 208 calves for a total of 584! Last year there were only 400 on this date.

There were tons of whales all around us in the inner lagoon with lots of action, numerous spy hops, breaches and dozens of mother and calf pairs everywhere you looked.

Here are some of the highlights.

the babies have those cute little dimpled noses still...and are rolling on the mother's back frequently.

Last week this mama was in labour when we saw her and now she has an adorable and very friendly calf...they will be stars this year I think! I call her Cloudy and her calf Cloudette as she has large cloud like scars on both sides! And she sure had a mean encounter with a killer whale by the looks of those teeth scrape marks on her dorsal hump!

the restaurant was open and the food delicious...they had bacon wrapped shrimp and garlic shrimp and grilled halibut, fish tacos etc. with fresh veggies from the Ejido!

I'm off now to camp a few days in the lagoon for a couple tours on Saturday & Sunday if you are in the neighbourhood and want to stop into the lagoon...the road is fantastic!

[Edited on 1-15-2016 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 12:12 PM

Wow, wonderful! So, the whales are increasing each year in numbers?

The salt producing operations for nearly 50 years there has not hindered the breeding of these magnificent mammals, it would seem?

Thanks, Shari... I sure hope Elizabeth and I can be on one of your trips someday!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 12:13 PM

...wow,,,sounds like the greywhale population is doing pretty well, but how do you recognize 'the same mama' among 376 adults!? :?:

I'm DROOLING over those camarones,,, thats. just. torture. :(
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 01:12 PM

Shari;
The guys are really looking forward to the trip we have booked with you February 7-8-9
We are so excited!
Alan Beilstein
San Diego

[Edited on 1-15-2016 by DawnPatrol]
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 01:20 PM

Awesome!

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 01:21 PM

this particular mama has very large clouds on both sides and she was in labour last week...she it very easy to remember...I have a pretty good eye for whales as I do photo ID but you can spot her from a mile away!

Cant wait either Alan!!!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Wow, wonderful! So, the whales are increasing each year in numbers?

The salt producing operations for nearly 50 years there has not hindered the breeding of these magnificent mammals, it would seem?

Thanks, Shari... I sure hope Elizabeth and I can be on one of your trips someday!

The GN salt works has been listed by Mexico as one of their largest pollution sites.

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/areas-de-la-exportadora-de-sal-de-...

[Edited on 1-15-2016 by rts551]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 01:32 PM

largest pollution site by evaporating sea water? Right!

Harald Pietschmann
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 01:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Read the article....
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 04:05 PM

Your photos look great, Shari

...and the food...OMG!!!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Read the article....

The article calls the contamination "environmental liabilities," apparently a lower level of contamination caused by slow dispersal of the offending discharges. A comment on the article says hundred thousands of cubic meters of magnesium chloride are dumped into the sea yearly and is harmful to the local fish. I assume this is concentrated brine. Table salt is sodium chloride. Potassium chloride is used as a table salt substitute. I didn't know the magnesium salt could be separated easily from the sodium and potassium salts. Likely the commentator is referring to a mixture.

The new desalinization plant in Carlsbad, CA had to pass environmental muster because the reverse osmosis process dumps concentrated brine back into the ocean after the pure water is separated out. This concentrate is harmful to sea life if not quickly dispersed. If the whales are thriving, it's possible that in the area they inhabit, the toxic concentration of brine is reduced with the tidal movements. Still the contamination should be mitigated.
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 07:23 PM

My guess is that either sodium ,magnesium, or potassium chloride can cause a fish die off. Are we talking similar to Salton Sea syndrome? Seems that's a concentrated brine issue.Would appreciate a little education from those that know. I used to live in Cambria Ca, where they have been trying to bring De Sal in for lack of ground water, fighting about it for the better part of 30 years.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 07:52 PM

Wonderful baby photos- thank you! I'm so happy I was able to join you early- and so happy to see more whales arriving in the lagoon.

Sorry I likely won't be travelling south again this year (I still have ringing in my ears from the car accident last week).

Oh well... The whales have been migrating for millions of years- I look forward to seeing them on their return trip.

Enjoy!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 07:55 PM

Shari. Is there a faster way from your house to there or do you go thru vizcaino?

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 09:02 PM
Whale ID photo

Shari- I've been meaning to share this photo with you, from San Ignacio 2 years ago.

Have you ever seen this mama at Ojo? The SI guides told me she's been coming with calves for many years, and somehow has survived this very ugly/distinctive injury. (easy to ID her)

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2016 at 06:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Shari- I've been meaning to share this photo with you, from San Ignacio 2 years ago.

Have you ever seen this mama at Ojo? The SI guides told me she's been coming with calves for many years, and somehow has survived this very ugly/distinctive injury. (easy to ID her)

Will not pretend to speak for Shari, but adult female whales do not bring calves to the Baja Lagoons. They birth the calves there.

That said, in all the years we've been whale watching in Baja including San Ignacio and Mag Bay, I have no doubt that Ojo de Liebre is the absolute best place to "place to play" with the whales.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2016 at 07:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  

Will not pretend to speak for Shari, but adult female whales do not bring calves to the Baja Lagoons. They birth the calves there.

That said, in all the years we've been whale watching in Baja including San Ignacio and Mag Bay, I have no doubt that Ojo de Liebre is the absolute best place to "place to play" with the whales.

Actually- calves often arrive en route, offshore of California and Baja, as well as in the lagoon. This year several were spotted off Dana Pt. and elsewhere.

I simply meant: she has been seen in the lagoons, with calves, for a long time- despite this unattractive injury. :)

Shari encourages people to share photos of whales with distinctive markings to help her create a photo database of the population.

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-16-2016 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

[Edited on 1-15-2016 by shari]

It's not every day you see a guy advertising a brothel on his t-shirt. ;D

[Edited on 1-17-2016 by BigBearRider]
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2016 at 09:08 AM

Hi all...I am just back from a few days at the lagoon that were spectacular! Sooooo many mother's and calves with lots of calves on the mom's backs which I LOVE! Yesterday we saw a mom about to give birth and there were about 10 dolphins all around her...probably waiting for that yummy placenta!

Lori...I have never seen this poor injured whale...wow...I bet she has to feed on the other side of her mouth!

Yes the salt works causes contamination...the lagoon used to be very very rich in clams. there still are blue crabs and cabrilla there...perhaps you can start your own thread on that Ralf.

Hahaha...didnt notice his shirt...he is from Alaska and really enjoyed the lagoon as well as the food!

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2016 at 07:13 PM

Now, her comes the question of the questions:
It says: ojos de liebre ,, which is translated as `rabbit eyes´.
Many brochures using this term.
But, many locals telling me that`s wrong. It needs to say: Ojos de libre ,, which is translated as `free eyes´.
Following the so called "eye hopping" (see pic #2) of the wales which is supposed to be used by the wales to have a `free look around '. Free eyes makes more sense than `rabbit eyes´.
I know that `ojos de liebre´is used more often. But does it makes sense?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.