Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Coco corner to HWY 1
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2016 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by RenoJoe  
just came north on the 8th 2 hours 10 minutes. Chapala to Gonzaga no problem Southwind towing
Honda Pilot. will do it again next month.

Was the road from hwy 1 to the other side of the lake bed open? (see post above). When you and I went through on the 3rd we still had the old road to go on.

No pounding and ruining your tires and parts? my truck is still new.

The road from Hwy 1 to the other side of the lake bed was being worked on when I went thru. Just east of the lake bed the old road and new road appeared to connect for a sweet graded section. 50MPH was easy, but short lived.

I'm headed back thru in 2 weeks with someone in a sedan. I'm wondering if I should miss this crossover to the Cortez side for fear of bottoming out and getting flat tires. The Mexicans do it in small cars so I say "go for it", but not sure if my brother will feel the same.
slspfm

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 08:29 AM
Came north yesterday(2/18/16)

Came through yesterday with no trouble driving a small Jeep 2014 Cherokee, 4x4 latitude. Had no problems with height. Took an hr. and 10 minuets to make it 22+ miles. Lots of construction in the canyon /mountain areas. starting to set trusses for bridge # V. Lot of work yet to be done especially when you see where the culverts are placed and the mountains to be moved to get there. the road is doable just have good tires and watch where your going.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 09:02 AM

Thank you and welcome slspfm!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 02:39 PM

I motorcycled it on the 17th and I think the dirt portion is as good or better than I have ever seen it. Coco was at home and at age 79 looks in very good condition.
RenoJoe
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 08:21 PM

Air down would be best. I ran 85 pounds on my motorhome. I think I will try 50 next time.
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 3-1-2016 at 10:41 AM

They are back to work in all areas. The road is still rough, air down..
Carol1952

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 08:15 AM

First post! Took the road yesterday in a 2010 Ford Taurus coming north from Guerrero Negro. Lots of work on the first 5-6 miles on the Chapala side. New road will parallel the old road just to the south on the Chapala side. Road work camp about 6-7 miles in, lots of earth moving & grading equipment on this side hard at work.

Did NOT air down as we had not planned to take this route and had no tire inflator with us. But after talking to a number of people in Guerrero Negro who had taken this route, decided to take the dirt. Husband hates Hwy 1 north of Guerrero Negro.

Not one problem. Go slow & take your time enjoying the ride. First 13 miles are a little rough, but last 10 are a piece of cake. Even with a 20 minute stop at Coco's for a visit & a cold beer, took us about 1 hr, 45 mins total. Front bumper which hangs down did clip a rock or two, but survived intact and we never bottomed out. Plan to do it again in May.... this time in a truck.... with a tire inflator.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 08:54 AM

Thank you Carol, and welcome to Nomad!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 05:22 PM

Also did it yesterday pulling a flatbed trailer. new roadbed is within a mile of HWY 1.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 06:22 PM

Also did it yesterday pulling a flatbed trailer. new roadbed is within a mile of HWY 1.

you think they'll ever do something to close off that mile deep well at chapala? man that thing intrigues and terrifies me! always trying to get ONE OF MY BUDDY"S to go down on a rope!:lol:
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 06:50 PM

tell us where it is. coords?
rts551
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 3-9-2016 at 08:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

you think they'll ever do something to close off that mile deep well at chapala? man that thing intrigues and terrifies me! always trying to get ONE OF MY BUDDY"S to go down on a rope!:lol:

pictures and maps pls.:lol:
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 08:06 PM

Went through on Sunday, We all had 4 wheel drives, was a little bumpy at some times! averaged around 40 mph, pulling trailer take
your time! have good tires, and a spare! will be good. Stop and say
happy B-day to Coco 79 anos!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 07:12 AM

Noticed that the new gas station to be built is owned by Los Pinos. Am hoping for a hotel either there or in Gonzaga/Rancho Grande.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 11:46 PM

Welcome Carol but in with all due respect, air down! Just have a way to air back up! There are some good discussions on threads here as to what to buy...just get a good one. Like coolers, tires, and cigars, some things for Baja are worth getting the best!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  
Welcome Carol but in with all due respect, air down! Just have a way to air back up! There are some good discussions on threads here as to what to buy...just get a good one. Like coolers, tires, and cigars, some things for Baja are worth getting the best!

with all due respect, many of us (including out esteemed DK) have not aired down any more now that it is only 23 miles of grades road. If you have the time and means, go ahead...but it is not really necessary any more. I travel this road every couple of months. Its no longer an adventure.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 08:01 AM

Drove it on 3/22 from Gonzaga. They are working hard in the mountains and it looked like they are getting ready to pave from Chapala north.

No need to air down in my mind....

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 12:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  

with all due respect, many of us (including out esteemed DK) have not aired down any more now that it is only 23 miles of grades road. If you have the time and means, go ahead...but it is not really necessary any more. I travel this road every couple of months. Its no longer an adventure.

I did air down, but that was last July. It was in my trip report.

Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2016 at 06:06 AM

Even for the 23 miles I think it's well worthwhile to air down. Makes a world of difference. If you don't carry air, there's a tire shop at either end, well the one to the north is at Gonzaga which leaves a few miles of pavement if you're northbound.

http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/arb-e-z-deflator-kit/?gclid=CK...

One of these works well and fast

[Edited on 3-25-2016 by Phil C]
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2016 at 11:41 PM

Sounds like it is truly graded...but we all know that can change relatively fast. But with a Ford Taurus on 23 miles of Mexican road (as to cell service/breakdowns) I would still air down to save stress on the vehicle. If you have the right rig, the right experience, and the right tires it is an easier call.
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.