[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 02:45 PM

I thought I drive like an old man
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 08:10 PM

Parnelli Jones is an old man now!:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RenoJoe
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 09:12 PM

Maybe I should do the Baja 1000 in my motorhome
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 10:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RenoJoe  
Maybe I should do the Baja 1000 in my motorhome

Yes! Way to go Parnelli! :smug::light::cool::bounce:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 08:09 AM

I thought I drive like an old man

No. I was impressed. No problems inside? Many have been asking about motorhomes and trailers. What is your recommendation. I do not drive fast and in fact this time I had a washer in the back so slower than usual. No need to race along.

[Edited on 2-7-2016 by rts551]
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cliffh  
no problem, i drop truck from 80 to 50, 5th wheel 80 to 50, quad trailer 50 to 30. Air up when back on the highway Buy a bunch of tile sponges, they work great for tv, stereo equip, etc use as wedges between appliances and walls.. Have favorite beverage drive slow , check every now and then you might need more ice and enjoy the view. Fun travels Cliff

This is very bad advise. I think it would be foolish to drive that road in ANY vehicle at 50 to 80 when it was icy.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Quote: Originally posted by cliffh  
no problem, i drop truck from 80 to 50, 5th wheel 80 to 50, quad trailer 50 to 30. Air up when back on the highway Buy a bunch of tile sponges, they work great for tv, stereo equip, etc use as wedges between appliances and walls.. Have favorite beverage drive slow , check every now and then you might need more ice and enjoy the view. Fun travels Cliff

This is very bad advise. I think it would be foolish to drive that road in ANY vehicle at 50 to 80 when it was icy.

Plus it would be hard not to spill your drink at that speed! Haha!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 12:14 PM

Ummm, weebray... while he leaves out the details, I think we can assume Cliff is talking about AIR PRESSURE in the tires, not Miles Per Hour... and more ice in your DRINK, not on the road.

:biggrin:

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Ummm, weebray... while he leaves out the details, I think we can assume Cliff is talking about AIR PRESSURE in the tires, not Miles Per Hour... and more ice in your DRINK, not on the road.

:biggrin:

Do you really thinklso David? Thanks for clearing that up for us.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 01:25 PM

So, to sum this up, icy road conditions will cause folks in RV's or towing trailers to slow down from 80 to 50 mph while drinking c-cktails on the road past Coco's to Chapala and Highway 1.

Any advise for those of us on motos?

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
RenoJoe
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 02:35 PM

If there's that much ice on the road near Coco's I may bring Coco a snow board :bounce on my next trip south. I will be stopping there going north on the 8th
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 03:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  
So, to sum this up, icy road conditions will cause folks in RV's or towing trailers to slow down from 80 to 50 mph while drinking c-cktails on the road past Coco's to Chapala and Highway 1.

Any advise for those of us on motos?

Sure,
Outfit your moto with one of those gimbaled drink holders and wear a open-face helmet or use a hydration drink systems, and mount studded ice racing tires. Speeds and PSI are at your discretion, but I have been taught all my life that more of everything is always better.

Personally I would shoot for triple digits.

Bruce
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 05:41 PM

Just drove it Feb. 4th. I didn't air down going south but did going back north. I will still air down. The road is in better shape than the past, but still rough.

There is absolutely no work going on. There is still a lot of work to do. It won't be done anytime soon.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 06:41 PM

Those guys must be paid by the hour with no completion bonus? That's okay... because once it's done... more traffic will go that way for the shorter/ quicker drive north!

MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 09:20 PM

Not sure what Brewer saw but I have driven it 4 times in the last three weeks. There is at least 4 different crews working. They are pouring culverts and lots of heavy equipment by chapala.
I agree there will be lots more traffic. I think there already is.

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2016 at 09:22 AM

Thanks, MICK. Too bad, really... but the 23 dirt miles are giving folks a pounding so it might as well get paved to preserve the parts and tires!

It sure has been a long time coming!
The graded road from Chapala to Puerto Calamajué was in place in 1983 and the graded road from Puertecitos to Gonzaga and on to that Puerto Calamajué road (the junction would become Coco's Corner in a few years) was built in 1986-87.

Those two graded roads replaced the Jeep trail of around 1955, created by Arturo Grosso (Mama Espinoza's brother) between the sulfur mine and Rancho Chapala. The government did run a dozer over the Jeep trail around 1959, improving the road built by Grosso.

The route to Chapala from Las Arrastras (near today's Coco's Corner) was so bad, however, main traffic went via Calamajué Canyon (past the mission), so in the 60's and 70's, to 1983, Hwy. 5 was in the Calamajué river instead of over the mountain it now takes.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2016 at 01:48 PM

Went thru last Thursday. They're grading from HWY 1 now just south of current road and the section that you can drive on was smooth. Took 1 hour from Gonzaga to hwy 1.
RenoJoe
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2016 at 06:43 PM

just came north on the 8th 2 hours 10 minutes. Chapala to Gonzaga no problem Southwind towing
Honda Pilot. will do it again next month.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2016 at 06:59 PM

just came north on the 8th 2 hours 10 minutes. Chapala to Gonzaga no problem Southwind towing
Honda Pilot. will do it again next month.

Was the road from hwy 1 to the other side of the lake bed open? (see post above). When you and I went through on the 3rd we still had the old road to go on.

No pounding and ruining your tires and parts? my truck is still new.
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 2-9-2016 at 07:32 PM

Still the old road but getting closer

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.