Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sport Pilot - LSA?
JohnK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 07:31 PM
Sport Pilot - LSA?

Has anybody flown into Mexico using a sport pilot license? Any issues? How about back into the states? The last time I was in San Felipe (by car) I drove by the airport and showed them my license. They said it would be fine. Are there any airplane restrictions? I have a 2-seater tricycle-gear experimental plane (a Skyranger). N-numbered and insured. Would there be any issues there?
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 08:07 AM

john, i have flown light a/c from alaska to costa rica, and 747 cargo jets around the world. in a 35 year career. i have been asked to show my licence twice. both time during a ramp check by the FAA, in the usa. i am going to guess you will have no issues with a sport certificate. sounds fun, safe trip!
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 10:47 AM

While you may not have any "issues," the below article from 2011 suggests the Sport Pilot License was not accepted in Mexico then (it may have changed):

http://www.trikepilot.com/magazine/read/what-is-the-legal-wa...

This thread suggests it was still not permitted as of 2012:

http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2506

I'd look around and see if there's been any change. I wouldn't want to knowingly violate the law.

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 06:14 PM

The last time I saw this question posed on another forum, the sport plane license wouldn't work in Mexico. May be different now.
Presently you need;
A current medical and pilots license
An eapis clearance from USA side
An eapis clearance from Mexico (recent requirement)
A current Calender year US customs sticker
Proof of insurance with Mexican accepted policy
Both US and Mexican eapis clearances must be filed prior to crossing both ways and must hit target crossing times within a tight time frame.
(I think 15 minutes) or be assessed a $5,000 fine.
You will be hit for possible parking charges and Mexican flight plans as well as the visa. (Only good for one trip unless you buy a yearly)
All of these requirements are far more complex in detail than I have listed here. This is why if you plan a trip it is well worth the yearly $45.00 membership in Bush Pilots International, as they will do much of this for you and answer any questions concerning flying in Mexico as well as Central America, and recently Cuba.

[Edited on 1-22-2016 by LancairDriver]
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 08:15 PM

Sound a like Baja Bush Pilots would know the answer. I'd contact them.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 08:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
Sound a like Baja Bush Pilots would know the answer. I'd contact them.

The Baja Bush Pilots are now officially Bush Pilots International, and yes the will have all of the up to date answers.
JohnK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 07:56 AM

Thanks for the input. I just joined Bush Pilots International. I'm pretty sure the license type is a non-issue, I was just wondering if anyone had encountered problems.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 10:04 PM

Actually, the sport license is an issue if anyone asks. It's not recognized by ICAO and so cannot be used outside the US. The Bahamas is the only country outside of the US that I'm aware of that accepts it as a valid pilot's certificate.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.