Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hotel Mison Santa Maria in San Quintin
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 1-24-2016 at 08:52 AM
Hotel Mison Santa Maria in San Quintin

We haven't been there in over 2 years, always opting for Jardines, but decided to try it last Friday without reservations. All the work on the buildings and grounds underway last time there have been completed and they have done a good job. 2 adults in a double bed room was $714 pesos, or around $42 'merican at current rates. They asked us if we had pets (we didn't) so they must allow them? Mattress and bedding all seemed new, fresh paint inside and out. Get the center rooms above the restaurant if you can, they each have a huge deck facing the ocean, larger than the ones on the wings. A plus for this hotel over others is that you can crack your door to the patio and sleep with the sound of the surf; which apparently is an aphrodisiac as well. Who knew?

The grounds have a children's play area with swings and slides, a small soccer field with goals at each end and a couple of fire pits with seating.
Wifi worked in the rooms as well as the central reception area, an improvement over the last time we were there. AT&T and Verizon all had decent strength. Rooms all have new flat screen TV with both Spanish and English channels.

The restaurant has been moved from the central patio area to the lower event room facing the ocean. Dinner was served with 'complimentary' chips, sliced tomatoes drizzled in balsamic vinegar with a sprinkling of hard, sharp cheese, onion soup and then your entree. Tab for two people with 6 glasses of wine came to about $700 pesos as well. White wine was LA Chetto chard in the small bottles, vino tinto was something out of a Ragetto (SP?) keg, so-so at best. Bring your own if you want a red wine and you're picky, I am not. Coffee available after 6am so if you are an early riser and must have your caffeine, bring your own. Quality of the coffee is pretty typical, Folgers-ish. Least it's not Sanka.

There was a bus there with maybe a dozen Japanese tourists; those folks can take an amazing amount of photos. I mention this only if the hotel is on the tour bus circuit, you might want to use their online reservation system.

[Edited on 1-24-2016 by Santiago]

[Edited on 1-24-2016 by Santiago]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2016 at 10:25 AM

I don't believe this is the Hotel Mison Santa Isabel but must be (based on the description) the Hotel Mision Santa maria. Old La Pinta.

http://www.hotelmisionsantamaria.com.mx/en/Contacto%20Santa%...
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2016 at 10:27 AM

Ugh, you are right, I'll fix.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-24-2016 at 10:30 AM

David, would you like a map to show you where it is? :biggrin::D

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2016 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
David, would you like a map to show you where it is? :biggrin::D

I am surprised our resident expert was not aware of the wrong name/hotel.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-24-2016 at 12:16 PM

I trusted Jim to know where he was, but I did question it didn't I?

Since he edited the post with a different hotel name I will remove my reply which had to do with the first name posted.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2016 at 06:18 PM

I often wondered why the space in the back by the ocean was left empty. They have fixed that.

When the Los Pinos guys bought this place, they upgraded the restaurant and chef.

Now that they moved it to a better location, all the better.

Rooms upgraded, but I still can't get it out of my head that this facility always reminded me of The Shining.
mrichey56

[*] posted on 9-20-2017 at 07:42 AM

I'm new to this site. Stayed at the El Presidente hotel on our honeymoon in 1979. Best and cheapest Lobster EVER !!! Returned several years later with our children and then again a few years later with bro. & sis-in-law. Brought a small BBQ and BBQ'q chicken on the balcony. Very smoky... I see from previous posts the hotel has changed names several times. GREAT memories !!! Hankerin to return....
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-20-2017 at 09:11 AM

thanks for the review....I always wondered about that hotel...sounds like a winner being able to sleep with the patio door open....ahem.

On the weekends Capt. Luis can take you up in his ultralight from the hotel which i am told is an awesome flight. I love flying in ultralights and will do it next time I am in SQ.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2017 at 09:32 AM

Always had a good experience there under the different owners, but I will say it is really nice now. Years ago the restaurant was down stairs at one time and I had a great meal with crab stuffed fish. The downstairs flooded from a storm and they moved the restaurant back up.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2017 at 11:10 AM

I last stayed there in 2014, sharing a room with the helicopter pilot (Jim McCoy), as a guest of Cameron Steele in the first Trail of Missions tour. Room and beds were modern and comfortable. The kitchen seemed okay... it was a group meal for dinner and breakfast.

Some photos from 2014:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2017 at 11:13 AM

In 2017:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.