Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Oh the hypocrisy
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-25-2016 at 04:58 AM
Oh the hypocrisy

Watching the news this morning and they were going on and on about the state departments new warning about mexico. Right after that they did a story on the dropping peso and were encouraging people to plan vacations for cheap. Haha make up your mind mainstream media.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2016 at 03:13 PM

Wonder if other countries have travel warnings for the US?
Remember a Japanese tourist inquiring as to the safety of
Texas, after that biker club having a shoot out a couple yrs.
back. The peso went from something like 17.40 to 18.40,
is that close to 5% +?, not sure what that translates to re: Mex being
a substancial bargin as compared to before the p per dll amount increase.
Back in the day, '80's, during high inflation, the old peso, a
time or 2
would dump over the weekend 20%

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2016 at 03:19 PM

I guess you have to read the travel warning. I don't see anything there that is incorrect. second paragraph.

"General Conditions: Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year for study, tourism, and business, including more than 150,000 who cross the border every day. The Mexican government dedicates substantial resources to protect visitors to major tourist destinations, and there is no evidence that organized criminal groups have targeted U.S. visitors or residents based on their nationality. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime that are reported in the border region or in areas along major trafficking routes."
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2016 at 04:53 PM

There are many destination in Mexico that are very safe.

Even Baja is one of them. Y'all can recall bodies hanging from over heads in TJ a few years back. Seem like that is over.

At the end of the day, the US war on drugs is primarily responsible for the Mexican Cartels strength.

How about we cancel the war on drugs and see where the chips fall?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2016 at 05:39 PM

Bajahowodd has it right! I'll go a step further and say WE are responsible for this situation. I know it's complicated, but a failed 100 year war on drugs has a lot to do with it!
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2016 at 06:30 PM

Why do I get the impression that both of you are not adverse to partaking of at least a little marijuana every once in a while? Maybe if you graduate to a little heroin, you can put all this worry to bed.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 12:52 AM

Norte...that doesn't even make sense.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 10:41 AM

Yes other countries have travel warnings about the USA and Mexico. Somehow I don't think that free reign on the use of drugs is going to halt cartel violence.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Somehow I don't think that free reign on the use of drugs is going to halt cartel violence.

I agree.

"Drug cartels currently take in $64.34 billion from their sales to users in the United States, Mexico’s public safety secretary said."

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=342471&Categor...

Whatever the number really is, it's huge. Would the cartels just hang up their spurs and quietly go away? I don't think so. The Zetas have already branched out into extortion and kidnapping, much worse than drug smuggling, absolutely horrible crimes.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 01:36 PM
Bad News can be GOOD ?

Over the 30+ years that I resided in Baja, I've seen these "Blah, Blah, Yada, Yada" stories lamenting the Bad Rap on Mexico in the media.

And, frankly, NEVER understood it.

Granted, that the "DANGER" messaging hasn't done much to discourage the foreign influx, BUT................Anything which discourages to ANY extent additional crowds should be welcomed by those "Nortes" living there.

Whenever asked, I ALWAYS did my part by cautioning prospective visitors regarding the dangers awaiting.

Which (hopefully) had some positive effect.

[Edited on 1-26-2016 by MrBillM]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Why do I get the impression that both of you are not adverse to partaking of at least a little marijuana every once in a while? Maybe if you graduate to a little heroin, you can put all this worry to bed.

A dangerous leap of logic that totally sidetracks the issue....not all advocates for decriminalization and or legalization are marijuana users.....they just appreciate the logic and don't get caught up in Reefer Madness perspectives. :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Fact is that while I did smoke pot in college and beyond for a number of years, I have not had any pot in almost two decades.

Is drinking booze more acceptable to you?

I merely wanted to say that marijuana is way far from the most dangerous drug available on the streets.

Just my feeling that if the US gummint stops vilifying maryjane, and goes on to the real drugs that are wreaking havoc on the communities, we will be in a better place.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-27-2016 at 09:30 AM

Now days marihuana smoking has become a "medical necessity."

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 1-27-2016 at 09:39 AM

Medical necessity or medical intervention.

Perhaps it's better for chronic pain patients to swallow opiates and overdose in the mass quantities of the past 10 years?

The facts are that the War on Drugs has undermined the governments of Central and South America. The demand for product in the US has sent huge sums of money to cartels and fostered increasing violence throughout their domains. In turn, the US weapons industry has repatriated some of the money by selling military grade weapons to those cartels and then to their governments. The CIA and FBI have been corrupted at multiple levels over this War which has led to even more violence.

Major Fail in policy and execution over multiple administrations and a long timeframe. Gee, I think we should keep making the same mistake.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2016 at 03:05 PM
Marijuana v. Alcohol

During the (late '60s and early '70s) years that I lived on the beach in the South Bay (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo), what I observed (as a non-user) among Marijuana smokers was an odd and "detached" comprehension of reality with the "slightest" usage contrasted with Alcohol wherein "most" people lost that contact as they over-indulged.

Given the widespread usage common at the time among the young Beach-Crowd, I "doubt" that said observance was unique.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2016 at 05:50 PM

well mexico might be getting closer?

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-01-mexico-landmark-debate...
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
1-27-2016 at 09:25 PM
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2016 at 12:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
During the (late '60s and early '70s) years that I lived on the beach in the South Bay (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo), what I observed (as a non-user) among Marijuana smokers was an odd and "detached" comprehension of reality with the "slightest" usage contrasted with Alcohol wherein "most" people lost that contact as they over-indulged.

Given the widespread usage common at the time among the young Beach-Crowd, I "doubt" that said observance was unique.

Having lived on Pier Ave during some of that time I observed nothing similar. Especially considering the quality of pot at the time. Detached comprehensions of reality are pretty subjective. I don't indulge but I'll take the stoner over the stupid drunk every time.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2016 at 06:33 PM
Beachin Times

ALL of our most firmly-held social views are a result of personal experience and are certainly subjective.

Moving to the South Bay ( initially Manhattan Beach ) in '66, I spent the next 5 years at a LOT of parties (invited or crashed) and saw a significant amount of Marijuana usage during that time.

While I would agree that an alcohol-induced drunk is equally dangerous as someone under the influence of Marijuana, in my (never humble) opinion, that "detached" quality seemed much more easily attainable smoking rather than drinking.

It took quite a few Beers to get to the point where it seemed one "Joint" got some people.

Personally, I usually "Puked" before reaching that point.

It was, perhaps, my good fortune to reach a level of distress before that of detached inebriation.

Although, it didn't seem so at the time.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2016 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
ALL of our most firmly-held social views are a result of personal experience and are certainly subjective.

Moving to the South Bay ( initially Manhattan Beach ) in '66, I spent the next 5 years at a LOT of parties (invited or crashed) and saw a significant amount of Marijuana usage during that time.

While I would agree that an alcohol-induced drunk is equally dangerous as someone under the influence of Marijuana, in my (never humble) opinion, that "detached" quality seemed much more easily attainable smoking rather than drinking.

It took quite a few Beers to get to the point where it seemed one "Joint" got some people.

Personally, I usually "Puked" before reaching that point.

It was, perhaps, my good fortune to reach a level of distress before that of detached inebriation.

Although, it didn't seem so at the time.

So what is it that leads you to this "detached" quality that you 'puke' out now?
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2016 at 07:40 PM

Living in BC Sur for many years, and visiting BC for more than 40 Yrs. Speaking Spanish (my 2nd. language).
Not getting my nose where it does not belong, staying out of politics, respecting the laws of the country, and having a regular Tequila, I have never had any problems.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.