Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Another virus story
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 1-25-2016 at 01:07 PM
Another virus story

The World Health Organization is tracking the next virus that targets us humans. Glad I'm not of child bearing age anymore....well the woman I know best isn't....

CDC
WHO expects Zika virus to spread to all but 2 countries in the Americas
By Emily Smith, CNN | Posted Jan 25th, 2016 @ 10:26am

WASHINGTON (CNN) — The WHO anticipates the Zika virus will likely spread to all but two countries in South, Central and North America.

The mosquito-borne disease has raged in South America and other regions for several months.

Twenty one countries and territories of the Americas have reported cases of the virus since Brazil reported the first cases of local transmission in May 2015, WHO's regional office for the Americas said in a statement.

"Aedes mosquitoes — the main vector for Zika transmission — are present in all the region's countries except Canada and continental Chile," the statement said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention urged pregnant women to postpone travel to Bolivia, Brazil, Cape Verde, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Martinique, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Martin, Suriname, Samoa, Venezuela and Puerto Rico. The CDC also recommended women who have recently traveled to these places during their pregnancy be screened and monitored for the virus.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2016 at 01:13 PM

Background
Zika virus is a mosquito-borne flavivirus closely related to dengue virus. It was first isolated from a rhesus monkey in Zika forest, Uganda in 1947, in mosquitoes (Aedes africanus) in the same forest in 1948 and in humans in Nigeria in 1954. Zika virus is endemic in parts of Africa and Asia and was first identified in the South Pacific after an outbreak on Yap Island in the Federated States of Micronesia in 2007. (1)

Great info here: http://www.wpro.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs_05182015_z...

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
1-25-2016 at 01:35 PM
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2016 at 04:58 PM

The insidious nature of this virus is that it has such mild symptoms. Just a funky day or two.

The long term effect concerns children born of pregnant women who contracted this disease after they became pregnant.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 03:15 AM

Huge news item in Brazil now with the Olympics coming up and with the thousands of babies being born with small heads/brains - I think they are calling it microencephalia.

Very sad days.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 09:39 AM

Amazing how some "life" forms can be so disruptive to other life forms ... but, it is all part of evolution on this planet

Would think this one, will be much harder to deal with than ebola ... given the "vector" and the growing habitat of the "critter" on the planet

[Edited on 1-26-2016 by wessongroup]
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2016 at 06:55 PM

Just like many systemic viruses, there are still a lot of answers to be found. The pregnancy issue is micro-cephaly which is an undersized and underdeveloped brain. It's associated with infection while pregnant, at least for now.

For adults, there are new questions whether it's sexually transmitted, this would be another vector for infection. It's also linked to Guillain Barre Syndrome which can be life threatening. I've got a buddy who went down that road after a moto ride through Baja. Also, the fact that the virus is similar to denge should be a warning since that has been endemic to Baja for a long time.

One of the issues that lies at the base of Zika like the range extension for the primary vector, those mosquitoes. Warmer and moister climates seem to be expanding, induced or naturally, it doesn't matter. The simple fact is that as the planet warms with more El Ninos, we face more of this type of evolution.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.